Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Blower throttle setup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rawcjw19, May 23, 2016.

1. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

What are you blower guys using for a throttle cable and pedal?I have a 6-71,2 Holley's with the sideways linkage. Also a 700 r4 with tv cable,Lokar throttle cable, spoon pedal.man it is hard to push. It also appears the lokar inner cable runs the aluminum housing at 3/4 throttle.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You need to get that TV set up right or your 700R will be toast in no time flat

loudbang likes this.
  3. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Lokar stuff is ok, but you need either a heavy cable linkage[like a trans shifter type cable] or mechanical linkage. Opening two carbs takes some strength, and don't forget you need a strong return spring also.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

5. I have a vintage MOON foot pedal , bell crank and rod. Mechanical . Works great. I had a cable on but did not like the feel of it, and I have had cables fail in the past.

hipster and loudbang like this.
  6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Mikey, you have broken a Morse cable? Wow. You really got a leadfoot son. :D

7. aaggie

aaggie

Check out some boat hardware suppliers, they use Morse type cables and I have even seen hydraulic set ups that need very little pressure.

8. squirrel

squirrel

When I had holleys on my blower, I had a home made linkage, operated by an OEM throttle cable, it worked fine for 25 years. Then when I put the blower on my Chevy II, I went with Carter carbs, and a new aftermarket linkage, which I connected to the OEM pedal and arm. It works fine.

From your description, I can't really tell what you have...I can kind of guess...but a few pictures would help us help you figure out what changes you might want to make.

9. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I will get you some pictures tonight.

10. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Pic 1

Attached Files:

11. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Attached Files:

12. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I was thinking if I brought the mounting surface out. It may help some.

Attached Files:

13. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Wide open it is at a terrible bind

Attached Files:

14. squirrel

squirrel

When the carbs are half open, are all the linkage arms at right angles to the rods they attach to?

15. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

16. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

Oh and yes being a long time drag boat racer Morse cables work really well in auto apps too. They are used for shifter cables in lots of auto trans apps.

17. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

That is NOT good. JMO .... Do something ....anything other than that...:(

hipster likes this.
  18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Wow!!! That last picture is scary!!!

Old TFFdriver likes this.
  19. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Yes, it's definitely not going to work. I had the Morse cables on a jet boat, but didn't think I can get anything that short. I figured it's a pretty common setup,just don't know how people do it. No blower guys around me.

20. squirrel

squirrel

The setup you have could probably be made to work. Be helpful to see the carb end of it, too.

The gas pedal cable situation...if you moved the pivot point out off the firewall, and also raised it up a bit, then it would probably be much better. Try to set everything up so it's at a right angle in the middle of it's travel, not at the end of it's travel.

21. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Throttle closed

Attached Files:

22. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Roughly half throttle

Attached Files:

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Like Squirrel says: ALL rotating arms 'equidistant', another thing is return springs.
    Put return springs on the end of the linkage, or in a straight continuous line with linkage.
    Springs attached to opposite angles of carb arms tend to encourage the throttle shaft (s) to 'saw through' their bushings.
    ...and the idle setting gets higher...and higher...and hi...

loudbang and Old TFFdriver like this.
  24. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Figures I made real nice return spring brackets, and they probably won't work. Ugh

Attached Files:

25. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Passenger side

Attached Files:

26. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Drivers side

Attached Files:

hipster likes this.
  27. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I see some horrible engineering practise there. Big long levers, horrible mechanical advantage, cables pulled at bad angle. I have twin Holleys on a tunnel ram, throttle is finger pressure. It won't be any different with a blower underneath.

How far does your foot pedal move to get full throttle?

[​IMG]

My throttle pedal is home made, pedal moves twice as far as it pulls cable, cable has to be pulled 2" max to wide open throttles.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    hipster likes this.
  28. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I can't take credit for engineering the linkage. All I did was duplicate weiand's, and made all the parts myself on a machining center. Running carbs inline would sure be alot easier,but not possible at this time.

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Im with Jim it needs to be a straight pull. And a blower will try to suck the butterfly shut at part throttle IF YOU ARE RUNNING ANY BOOST. Damn I keep thinking race car shit. Lippy

hipster likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

your spring setup looks ok to me, it's pulling on the linkage, not on the bottom of the throttle arm.

Take a look at all the angles, I think the pedal is the main issue, but there are some other angles that are hard to see from the pics, that might be causing problems, I can't really tell what the bellcrank that goes from vertical to horizontal movement, looks like.

Also the springs don't need to be very stiff, you might try some different ones and see how it affects things. For racing the tech inspectors like to see double springs in case one breaks...using light springs is a necessity when there are 4 of them you're working against.

hipster likes this.