Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Wow you really hit that one out of the park - wish I could see it cruise down the street.

2. Torchie

Torchie

Bravo !!!!!!
    Torchie

3. Rikster

Rikster

Looks fantastic Jerry.... I could not resist....

Jerry-Jess-House-RH.jpg

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks everybody, (and you in particular, Rik) the cruise videos are comin'.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    RICH B likes this.
  5. Spanky65

Spanky65

Awesome Jerry! When are you going to show the car again?

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm going to have to keep it under wraps for a bit. I'll explain shortly.

7. 296ardun

296ardun

Rik, the house in the background looks very much like the house on the street behind the Barris shop in Lynwood where the Barris customs were usually photographed....But with your knowledge of all things custom, I'm guessing that you planned it that way....great shot!

8. It is the same house.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  9. carlitoswhay

carlitoswhay

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

Starting to get the interior squared away. int.JPG

MUNDSTER, CW's40TPU, Spanky65 and 7 others like this.
  11. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Sure wish you could bring one of the cars here next week to the CCR car show - Indianapolis.

12. bigbore

bigbore

Video? I can't waito_O

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

yy.JPG Well, I know that this seems like I’m trying to set a new record for how long it takes to drag out a project.

My glass guy finally came out to remove the damaged back glass. I have a new gasket & plexiglass to get everything the way that it needs to be. NOW, he says the problem isn’t my attempt to clean it with solvent, it’s the Texas sun, and if I put another plexiglass in, it will turn out the same.

zz.JPG
    He says, if I call Bob’s Auto Glass in Oregon (a HAMB vendor), and order a laminated, clear, ’41 Ford coupe back glass, he can cut that down, and install it instead of the plexiglass. I then will have something that will actually work. He thought that it would take a couple of weeks before I saw that glass, but I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Bob ( a great guy), and he will put a rush on that order, and I should see it next week. Bob is an old time glass cutter guy that can cut down curved glass like we see being talked about on this board. He has a very simple solution to the curved glass cutting problem. Those in need should spend a little time on the phone with him.

So now its putt around the various small parts, on this project, to get the details dealt with while I wait.

brad2v, OLLIN, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  14. in the long run I bet you will happy having glass in the back ... Then plexiglass... What did Jesse run it ? sorry if you explained that already in advance... curious ?

15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I hate to see you go through extra effort and expense. But this is just another example of how this is going to be an absolutely remarkable recreation, when it's done.

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jesse did have the plexiglass because it was all there was at the time. These days you have a lot more options regarding how to accomplish a task. Fortunately we have the companies that make the stuff that was not available back in the day. This helps eliminate a lot of continuous explanations as to why something doesn't look quite right. Texas sun is different than California sun.

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

THIS WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.

rodncustomdreams and RICH B like this.
  18. I'm sure it will be !

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

The pony express would have been faster than this. bbb.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  20. Well jeez, open it!!! :):D

Dave

mario711 and loudbang like this.
  21. jivin jer

jivin jer

I took the old plexi and the new glass over to the glass guy's place. I wanted to show the new glass to ya' but when I opened the box, it (the box) was full of foam. They must have suspended the glass and blown foam all around it. A big mess to clean up before you can do anything with the glass itself. I've never seen this type of thing before.
    The glass guys shop door was open, but was dark and super hot. I don't know what that means about when.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Constantly uphill isn't it? We're patient folks Jer - just impatient for you..!

Dave

23. jivin jer

jivin jer

HEY! I've got to check for leaks, and the glass guy can't find the little joint cover. Does anybody have one? abc.JPG

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

P1300121-vi[1].jpg IMG_0168.JPG Lets try this. Iphone

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  25. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

It's perfect Jer :)

CW's40TPU likes this.
  26. looks great, I will keep a eye out for the joint slip for the rear window molding... my buddy is looking for one also for a 41 Coupe... seems like those always get misplaced...argh

27. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Looking so terrific! I can't wait for a proper photo shoot. :D

28. jivin jer

jivin jer

As I have said earlier on Junior’s build thread, and this one, I’ve been out of the loop for about 30 years as I ran my business. I had been exposed only casually to the custom car world, magazine wise. The mags that I was mostly familiar with were the ones from my youth, Car Craft, Custom Cars, Rod n’ Custom, and then Custom Rodder, and Street Rodder.

As Junior’s car neared completion he mentioned that the big image magazine that had the best photography, writing and respect, was TRJ. I had no idea what TRJ was because I had not come across it on my local newsstand. All of that has changed since then of course.

With Junior’s status, and the authenticity of the recreation we were anticipating that the car would be in this vaunted publication. Junior has many friends and contacts with all the custom car media as you would expect. I need to mention here that I did receive respect and admirable “nods” from people that I later found out were highly respected people in the custom car community at the 2011 GNRS. That whole experience was so “other worldly” that it was only after I got back home and looked over the pictures that had been taken that I realized who these people were.

Just prior to the 2011 GNRS I was contacted by Luke Karosi from Kustoms Illustrated. He wanted to fly out and do a “shoot” of the car before it got to the show so that he would be ready and scoop the world with the car on the cover etc.. Having become aware now of the magazine landscape, I didn’t think twice (I should have) about it. Kustoms Illustrated is an excellent magazine that is fashioned after the early Rod n Custom “little book” that I was very familiar with.

Luke did an excellent job and it was an honor to see the car, and how it was done in his magazine. This was as much for Junior as it was for myself. I’ve always connected with the owner/builder guys more than the shops the cars were built in for some strange reason. This has caused trouble for me, and hurt the promotion of these cars a bit.

After the GNRS, TRJ was contacted by Jr and myself and the process of having them do the car was entered into. There was genuine interest and they expressed a strong willingness to do the car. I did come to realize (over time) that having the car in Lukes magazine did not create an immediate “need” too do this. There had been a “cooling off” with the conversations about this when Curt Iseli contacted me months later about doing a “retrospective” article about the “Then and now” show in the first part of the year. He had questions about the car. I mentioned to him that all the questions he had (and more) would be answered in the build thread. I later learned that when they read the thread they “went nuts”. With Jr’s contact, and now mine (Curt) we were told that they definitely want to do the car (and Jr’s story), just “not this second”. The retro article was outstanding and recaptured the “vibe” of that unique show. They did a two page “spread” on Junior’s car that was incredible. I bought several copies and cut them up to make a great framed picture out of the article. I did one for me, and sent another to Jr.. I was told that when it arrived and was unwrapped, all work stopped while the office wall was redone to put this up. Seeing my name with Junior’s in the header was a real thrill. I kept thinking about the young “jivin jer”, and what he would have thought about this.

That was 4 years ago. So, the learning curve is steep, but I am learning. Some years back I was told that when Jesse’s car is “completely” done to call them. Jesse did mention awhile back that after seeing how Jr’s car didn’t get the respect it deserved, he hoped that wouldn’t happen to him. I do want to say that Jr’s & Jesse’s recreations can’t be separated from themselves. It’s always been about the era, the person, and the shop. All these things are intertwined.

So, I think the position that I have to take is, no exposure until TRJ is happy. Any show that I would bring Jesse’s car to would put the mag shoot in jeopardy. I’m sure you can see this and understand. Jesse and this car must meet, but there are many different ways and time frames that that can be done in. When the time comes to notify TRJ that the car is ready, I’ll be sure to show Jr’s (ready) car in the reflection of some of those “intro” shots”. I have no idea how they would want to do this, so both cars need to be ready. xxx.JPG