Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Steel In Motion...PICS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, May 15, 2016.

1. This event just keeps getting better and better. Major congratulations to all the folks who put it on!

Since the emphasis at SIM is on traditional cars, I thought I'd start things off with my favorite, an original, untouched channeled 34 coupe from back in the day. I spent some time talking to the owner who said he's had the car for a long time and at the urging of a friend he cleaned it up and brought it the SIM. It was definately a survivor and cool as a moose. I decided the look of the car made it a natural for B&W pics...
    Wiring Chapter2-13.jpg Wiring Chapter2-16.jpg Wiring Chapter2-17.jpg Wiring Chapter2-18.jpg Wiring Chapter2-25.jpg Wiring Chapter2-26.jpg Wiring Chapter2-27.jpg
    I met several HAMBER's yesterday, Flat Foot & his Dad and Bret for Christ. Enjoyed chatting with y'all. The first car I saw when I got there was Flat Foot's neat baby Buick.
    Wiring Chapter2.jpg
    Here, in random order are some others...
    Wiring Chapter2-2.jpg Wiring Chapter2-3.jpg Wiring Chapter2-4.jpg Wiring Chapter2-5.jpg Wiring Chapter2-6.jpg Wiring Chapter2-7.jpg Wiring Chapter2-8.jpg Wiring Chapter2-9.jpg Wiring Chapter2-10.jpg Wiring Chapter2-12.jpg Wiring Chapter2-19.jpg Wiring Chapter2-20.jpg Wiring Chapter2-23.jpg
    I should mention how good the Phantom Playboys band at 5 o'clock was. I did something I seldom do these days; bought a CD. The Phantom Playboys are out of Wilmington, NC and well worth it if you get a chance to hear them...
    Wiring Chapter2-33.jpg Wiring Chapter2-34.jpg Wiring Chapter2-36.jpg
    Lots more photos on my Smugmug site, here:
    https://tombo.smugmug.com/2016-Steel-In-Motion/

D-Russ, Max Gearhead, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  2. Great shots!!!!! Thank you sir!!

3. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Thanks for sharing! Good to see you again!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tom, you really have the ability to capture and depict the spirit of an event in your photography.
    Now get your boney old ass to work on that roadster you are building and join us in Reynolds, GA @ Silver Dollar Raceway for Run What Ya Brung on Oct. 29 !
    Not yet as big an event as SIM, but it's growing evry year!

5. Great shots, Seadog! So glad to finally shake your hand and chat a while! Lets do it again soon!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. DOM is getting pretty big in his britches - he beat Carl 2x on the track and the ladies flocked on him afterwards .
    IMG_2884.JPG

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for sharing. I always love seeing event pictures.

8. Bret, I shot a photo of you "at work" on the roadster but, wouldn't you know it; it was way overexposed 'cause I forgot to turn the flash down. It was good to meet you. Keep the lid on the excitement down east in NC.

Dog_Patch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Great shots, seadog. Looks like a really fun event.:)

10. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Great photography, Tom.

Any full shots of the red oxide pickup/?delivery in shot #15? Diggin' the stance!

11. Thanks. That thing was seriously low, and looked interesting, but it was wedged in between the others so tightly that it was impossible to get more than that. Hope you're having a good summer.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

13. Damn,Dave got a way with the Lady's , HRP

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Guess I'm just a chick magnet Danny! I had put the helmet on and was sitting there waiting for Carl to get ready for us to drive to staging area for a run and they appeared out of nowhere! Was fun while it lasted, LOL!!!!

15. thanks for the great pics

16. Those are great pics! Thanks for taking the time to capture them and share with us.

17. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Wish we could have been able to go this year looks like a packed event.

18. It was a good time. I shot a few pics early Saturday morning with the dew still on the cars and not a soul in sight. There were many cool vintage trailers, kind of makes me want one. Hope you do not mind me adding them to your thread.
    IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0328.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0339.JPG

Dog_Patch and Max Gearhead like this.
  19. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Wish I could have been there with you, Bretherin', and trust y'all had a good reunion!

Dog_Patch and PBRmeASAP like this.
  20. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Thanks for sharing your pictures Tom! Always great work!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  21. Was that a week ago?

22. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Yep, the past week has went by so fast!

23. Sporty45

Sporty45

Great pictures. Love those sepia toned ones! :cool:

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice pics. Looks like a great time.

25. Here's the Southeast Gassers race highlights:

26. theracedude

theracedude

That 34 Ford coupe that you did in black and white belongs to a good friend of mine "two-can"Tom. He also has the 55 chevy gasser next to the 34. That 34 ford has 43 years of history with him! The story is incredible and the car is one of the most period correct traditional hot rods i have ever seen. Nothing is fake and no extra bullshit. Every part on the car has history to the owner, from friends from the past. The 327 engine and power glide trans for example came out of a 66 Chevy Chevelle that was sold to an old man in key largo florida, He bought it from Luby Cheverlet in Miami where my Grandpaw was the top salesman. When the old man died a friend of mine bought the car and still has it today however, i got the 327 and trans with 22k miles on it. I traded the 327 for a 322 nailhead that i needed and "two-can" Tom got the 327. Now i know that thats a long story but thats just the engine and trans. This car is FULL of cool old history...

Dog_Patch likes this.
  27. Thanks for the background. I talked to the owner at length about the car. He told me his name and all the details. I knew at the time I should have written it down. Yes, I had a pen and notepad in my camera bag, but I thought I could "remember" the details. Being the old fart that I am, by the time I went to write it up I could remember it only in general terms.

That thing was the real deal. I should have arranged to photograph it in more detail after he made his run. It would be cool if he'd see this and come on here with his background story.

Here's a color shot...
    34 survivor.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  28. theracedude

theracedude

Tom is the real deal too, he lives for Hot Rods and has a lot of cool stuff. That 34 is also a daily driver! He runs on am old magneto! No pertronics hiding under the cool stuff. Tom is my best friend and i see him every day so i will see if i can get him to tell the story on the Hamb. He's not much of a computer guy but i will see what i can do.

Flat-Foot likes this.