Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Headers for -56 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falkenracing, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Falkenracing

Falkenracing

Hello.
    I have a 1956 customlane with a 390 fe in it. I can clearly see that there is no way in hell to fit a pair of headers with out som pain and cutting, but wich of the shelf header will suck the least to get in there? Any experience?
    Would be a plus if they were semi common so that I might be able to find them used, since they are gonna get cut anyways.

2. Crites has them, but they won't work with stick-shift, unless you go to hydraulic linkage.

3. Falkenracing

Falkenracing

Well, just trying my luck and bumping this to the top again. FPA has them, but do not ship to sweden, Don't see them ate the crites page, and they didn't reply when I tried contacting them way back when this was talked about last time.

So, anyone adapted anything from another vehicle to fit?

4. Sure would be helpful to you if you add your location to your profile page so it shows on your threads.

5. RmK57

RmK57

Only thing I could suggest is buying a set of headers for a Mustang or Fairlane for an FE application and go from there. The two front tubes pass below the lower control arm so this could make ground clearance an issue. Hooker part # 6113.

Randy

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

DSCN6358.JPG DSCN6359.JPG cousin - food for thought

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  7. Contact Headmon or Hooker and get a set of headers made for your swap, they may give you a choice of fenderwell headers or in the chassis headers. But I am sure that they have something for you.

if you don't find them right off contact Transdapt or Advance Adapters and see if they make mounts for that swap one of them probably will, and if they do they should be able to give you a part number for motor swap headers.

8. k9racer

k9racer

A very long time ago I saw a 54 Ford F E powered with a set of short cast iron headers that came off a 406 FE power plant.

9. Falkenracing

Falkenracing

Yeah, I know. It's usually really important where you live when it comes to fitting headers to a ford FE.

Thats one option I have been thinking about as well, also looked at sandersons shortys, but all meassurements point to the fact that there will be interference with the frame on the two front cylinders on both sides.

10. thunderplex

thunderplex

Check here. But these headers are not a bolt in. The fit depends on how your FE is mounted in your car. Call and ask about known clearance areas and if you decide to buy them ask them to just tack weld the critical clearance areas.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Fordpassenger1.htm

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. thunderplex

thunderplex

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It's not important? Then buy them from FPA.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have never built a '55/'56, but I have looked under the hood. And I do have a set of this style of headers for my 351c falcon, and they aren't even close to fitting a '55/'56 in my opinion.the '55/'56 body has a crossmember right where the two front tubes go.
    The Crites headers are listed on their website, both for FE's and 385 series. I see in notes, they say you have to use Crites mounts and crossmember in the early cars.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016