Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Small block flathead/ Crager manifold

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Regorod36, May 20, 2016.

1. Regorod36

Regorod36

Met a old Hot rodder in N Az today. He had a sweet 29 Ford with a flathead. Should've got a pic of that. But I did get a pick of a small block flathead that I didn't know they made. He said they were built for economy but were under powered and only made them from 32 to 53. I think he said. He said they would cut the bell housing down and run high gear direct drive for midget cars bak in the day. The other pic is a Old Rocket manifold by Cragar, didn't know they even made manifolds lol. He was 77 and from SoCal. Pretty cool cat!! Just thought I'd share

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. Regorod36

Regorod36

3. Regorod36

Regorod36

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's called a v8-60 and they made them at least until 37' they are kinda neat though.

Cragar made all sorts of hot rod stuff including the 4-71 blower drives, manifolds and accessories to bolt one to an early small block Chevy that every one goes ape shit for.

Cool find :)

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Made until 1940.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. V-8 60 horsepower was made from 1937 to 1940

Hnstray, timwhit and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your searches will be more fruitful if you spell it Cragar, instead of Crager.

8. Regorod36

Regorod36

I thought I got rid of the Grammar Natzi when I got rid of my last wife. Please file all other grammar mistakes with my Xwife.

cad-lasalle likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll do it, done it before, wish people wouldn't take the "grammar nazi" thing as a personal dig.
    I also wish people would put more thought into thread titles, especially spelling.
    Spelling something correctly sure does make life easier when doing an internet search.
    I'd welcome it.

MrGasser, TagMan, Hnstray and 9 others like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to say you are right Denny and I'm right there with you. On the V8 60 they were real popular as engines for smaller inboard race boats for a lot of years. Probably more popular as boat engines than hopped up in a car. In the 50's a lot of small inboard hydroplanes ran them.
    First time I ever saw a V8 60 called a small block though and I hope that doesn't stick.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Hey Rego, don't come into this house and tell us how to do things. We like to have the ability to search, since information is key to building an old car. And if you aren't spelling things right, how are we going to find your wonderfully informative posts with all the ground breaking news you've provided to us.

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Maybe you should have sent the panties you've got all wadded up with the ex-wife too....

13. That IS funny.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Have to agree with that.......

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not a grammar mistake. It is a spelling mistake. It is a proper name. Conventional etiquette necessitates that you spell it correctly.

Nazi does not have a letter t in it.

While you are at it, roll your cursor over my avatar and check out my post count. See how it stacks up in terms of contribution against your 7 posts.

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Despite you are completely right on all accounts, this doesn't help prove your case.

The FNG thinks you are hazing or bashing him, so he doesn't get the purpose of your posts.

You was trying to say more like: if you spell it correct, it should be possible to find more info on Google, and other people would have more luck finding your "wonderful and informing"-thread for days to come if they should need more info on the wonderful products of a quality product made in the great US of A :wink:

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. prpmmp

prpmmp

E Thanh yoe r alp beeeing imature!! Peat!

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've been casually searching Craigslist for a pair of 14x10 Cragars (hint, hint), and finally started using an asteric for the second 'a', brings up more results. Also, any chrome 5 spoke is a Cragar. :rolleyes:

Capture.JPG

19. If you can't stand the heat,get the fuck out of the kitchen...

gimpyshotrods and Hnstray like this.
  20. Uh the V8 60 was not a "small block" it was the same block as any other 21 stud. When they went to 24 studs they did not build a bigger block there is no small block flatty and big block flatty. :confused:o_O

Flathead Dave likes this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The v8-60 IS much smaller and has 17 studs.

But I've never heard it called a small block before...

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. I like chrome

Moondog13 and dan31 like this.
  23. Because it is not a small block, its like a '57 Chevy 283 is not really a small block there were no big blocks in '57. :D

I am pretty sure that the v8 60 used the same block as the 85 horse motor or the same basic casting. here is a tid bit that I was not aware of until about 5 minutes ago, the v8 60 was being used in Europe until '55, it was installed in the Simca Vedette a French car. So here is a new avenue for you V8 60 guys to find parts, I'll bet that they still sell parts new for it in Europe, a simple PM to @volvobrynk may answer that question for you and he is a real fine fella to deal with. ;)

By the way for the new guys that don't know I am still in the market for a cheap but workable V8 60. Cheap as in nearly nothing or trade you something cheap. I had one out of a boat once that was a twin carb aluminum headed beauty and let it get way from me. Like my friend @blowby I am a sucker for an under dawg. :D

hey check your PMs by the way.

24. No, the V8-60 was it's own engine. Absolutely nothing was the same as the bigger flathead. If you ever see one, in person, you will see that it is noticeably smaller than the regular flatty that we are all used to
    BTW, there were 3 flathead Ford engine families. The V-8-60, the 32-53 21 and 24 stud motors and the Lincoln/Ford truck 337 incher. So. if the V-8-60 is a "small block", then the 337 must be the "big block"............or is the 60 the mini block????? Questions to ponder today:rolleyes:

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Last week I bolted an engine stand mount to my 60 block in the back of my pickup, carried it into the garage and stabbed it into my engine stand, with strength to spare. Try that with an 85. ;)

Also this morning co-incidentally, I have been trying to port match a Vedette intake manifold to the block (the Vedette had larger ports) but gave up when I realized the intake runners have a serious restriction when they hit the valve guide bosses, so my next search is going to see if anyone cuts down flathead valve guide bosses...

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Beaner; I am shocked. I would have bet money that you had seen V8-60 engines and knew that they were a different design and casting. Much smaller than a V8-85. Lots of them with tin, welded on sides. Me with V8-60 powered car 50 years ago. img015.JPG

27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Nice strong little motor. My brother had a V8-60 in his rod. My Dad was a Flathead guy (worked for Dempsey Wilson) and we had some sitting around the garage for a few years. I like them but I prefer the 8BA and such, although, I wouldn't turn down a V8-60 for anything. If you can find a nice one, it is worth keeping.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah totally different animal bean-o I guess your showing your Chevy ;) ;) I got a friend in town with a shelf full of them should you want a refresher to how teeny they are even in the outside

29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

From VANPELT ...

Ford came out with the small V8 in 1937 to provide a more fuel efficient and less expensive option to the regular 85hp equipped cars and light commercial vehicles. These engines were obvious by their small size and the 17 Stud heads. Ford also built the 60hp engine for the European market with some modifications. The water pumps are also mounted in a common casting that mounts to the front of the engine and serves as the timing cover and engine mount. In the first year of production, these engines had "tin" sided outer water jackets which were welded onto the cylinder portion of the block. The production of the tin-sided blocks ended in April, 1937. Late 1937 and newer model year vehicles had the newer and more conventional "all cast iron" blocks. 1940 was the final year for the 60hp since the new 90hp six cylinder engine would debut for 1941.
    The V8 Sixty was a popular engine for aftermarket applications, particularly in midget race cars in the 1950's and 60's. It can also be found in some of today's custom "big bike" motorcycles. Due to its low horsepower and torque, the engine was not considered very powerful by customers for the passenger cars and light trucks that Ford installed them in. The Ford three speed transmission used with the V860 is unique to that engine and does not interchange with the standard 85 or 95hp flathead V8 engines.

30. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here is a tid bit that I was not aware of until about 5 minutes ago, the v8 60 was being used in Europe until '55, it was installed in the Simca Vedette a French car.[/QUOTE]

The Simca engine can best be described as a variation of the V8-60, it is not identical.