Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chem's 1950 Fleetline Deluxe - The Redux

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chemlab, May 17, 2014.

1. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I can see the engine was initially far enough forward that the firewall support braces were't cut/removed, like most guys do. Now, you have different motor mounts with the M-II front end. Will you now have to cut/remove the supports? We trimmed them back for the 51 Business Coupe my nephew and I put together using Chassis Engineering mounts. Even then, I wish we'd moved them a little more forwards than the instructions dictate. I really like these 49-52 Chevrolets, and there are't a lot of Fleetlines out there. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Beautiful job on the Chevy! Also sweet Barndoor, I had the same one! Brown Beige on top, Light Beige on the bottom. Mine had the pinstripe, also.

4. Thanks guys!

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  5. No butch,
    [​IMG]
    as you can see in this pic of when i put the MII the first time around i didn't have to cut them, even with the tall valve covers.

6. finally got around to up'n some more pics to photobucket so here's a few more ...

after the back was done i started on the mess on the rear quarter corners
    [​IMG]

that mess got cut out
    [​IMG]

test fit'n new piece
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    damn rotisserie is still on loan so welding this was a great time hah

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all cleaned up

moved on to the other side but forgot to take a before pic :/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    turns out i forgot a few pics on this side but here it is cleaned up

last up is a couple rust holes on the pass floor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    turns out i shoulda cut lil more out, the rusted areas started to blow out when i was welding but got'er done

[​IMG]

that's all i had for rust repair, i plan on plugging up some holes on the firewall but that'll be later. this is pretty much where i'm at now, last few weeks have been too humid for me to be willing to work in the sun where my car is so i'll pick it back up when the weather is nicer.

7. Wow it's been that long since my last post ... man time flies.
    Well let's see, after the work i did on the floor i did go back to the shop a couple few more times to start body work, i did the rear and the pass rear quarter and got those primed and at that point it really was to hot/humid to work in the sun so i stopped for a bit. Uh what else, oh i had a job change for a few months and that didn't work out so i went back. Grew tired of waiting on our rotisserie that was on loan so i ended up buying one with my tax return and FINALLY got her off the ground. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there was good and bad at this point o_O good finally off the ground. bad that the bottom was never sealed and has surface rust. along with that, when it came back my boss had bought some epoxy, he bought for 3 of us to seal with, and even tho i knew at the time it wasn't enough i still sprayed it, and now as you can see i had to spray thin coats to make it last for 3 people and rust is showing up. not a deal breaker, just more work later. anyway, now its under a roof at the shop and thats a big deal for me.

so this last week i've been staying after for a few hrs a day cleaning up the bottom so i can seal it up ...

well first came this spot i didn't fix earlier when i did the other side near the tire well, i don't know why i did't but now i am :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cut that out
    [​IMG]
    not gonna worry about the og pressing just gonna do a flat piece. as i see it im gonna have trunk with carpet and no one will notice so F it. o_O

[​IMG]
    test fit, i like lil gap ... for me works, well for my welding.
    i ended up breaking the helmet strap somehow before i started welding so i put this off for now :(

so i started on the rest of the floor pan, as you can see on the above pics the surface rust i needed to deal with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

before and after with a wire brush on the grinder

[​IMG]

i missed a few pics :rolleyes: ok, so on the far right up to the first support rail is where i used the wire brush on a grinder and then treated, i got some acid etch from eastwood. worked pretty good.

[​IMG]

mid section before and after, left wire only, right after with the treatment. the bottom is all cleaned up and treated now (lacking a pic) but now its just sealing it up.

so thats where im at at the moment, was planning on going in this morning but i know there is some painting to be done today so guns will be in use so ill go tomorrow and epoxy the bottom, then start on the interior of the car and clean the rust and re-epoxy :(

Habitual and pat59 like this.
  8. Habitual

Habitual

9. Thanks! :)

10. Hi all ... well time for another update :)

Got the welding helmet fixed so i patched in the piece i had to wait on ..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i also decided to fill in the og hole for the master

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not quite as pretty :cool:

[​IMG]

bottom is all good to go now

[​IMG]

and sealed, finally.

next up, i'll start cleaning up rust on the interior and shoot it with epoxy again before resuming bodywork again.

but since it's my sis' bday today, i called it a day so i can go sock her in the arm a few times :D

POLYFRIED 35 and tomkelly88 like this.
  11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Nice work! Any updates??

12. Thanks! ... yes it's time again :D

13. Hi all, got some more updates ;) after sealing the floor, i start staying longer at the shop, basically going in about 1-2hrs early to work and do my 8 and stay another 1-3hrs after to try and get this re-sealing done and over with before it gets to miserable outside. so i decided to start on the trunk first, with that i had to bang a couple dents out of the bottom of the spare tire well from it sitting on the ground.

there was some cleanup and some rust items to fix after , this spot is where the tire mount goes, i removed it first before taking the well out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

test fit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

done and clean, also did the spot to the left but didn't take a pic of it o_O

i dug out the the tire mount piece and it's this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so after standing around staring at it for awhile i decided that i can't try and weld without it blowing out so this happened :eek:
    [​IMG]

and then this :confused:
    [​IMG]

started bending and hammering
    [​IMG]

i hate when i forget to take pics, i get caught up in the moment and the momentum is there i only realize it when i take a finish pic :(:mad:

but this is when i ended up with[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not 100% factory, but it's in the right spot and lines up so i'll take it.

prep'd to spray
    [​IMG]

all done
    [​IMG]

at this point i started to worry about the black, if it would tint the green but then i realized it doesn't matter. if the bottom is a shade darker not a big deal its the bottom, trunk is getting lined, floor carpet and roof headliner so ill keep on with the black.

so did the rear panel
    [​IMG]

i also did the rear seat panels , but no pics atm :cool: i also ran out of epoxy so i decided to resume on the body till i get some free cash to get more.

so this brings me up to yesterday, cleaned up some rust from sitting, again an after pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then started blocking out the rear quarter to scuff the epoxy and do body work and found out the car had more hail damage than i thought from a storm we had a couple yrs back. never noticed it was to this degree when it was in one color but oh well.
    [​IMG]

so today i started pulling, can't get behind most of this so i used studs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

moving on down
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then this happened,
    [​IMG]
    2 burned thru, plus some pin holes to deal with. so i'm thinking to just cut and replace the 2 blowouts and patch the pinholes, if that doesn't work then go back and patch a large piece o_O but here is where i called it a day , think ill go in tomorrow and start removing studs and decide if its good enough for just primer or if i have to skim it will filler, hoping i don't. then start on this spot monday morning.

i'll try and keep updates more frequent. just long days and its hot and humid here and i forget. so till next time ;)

tomkelly88, Devin and pat59 like this.
  14. Hi fellas,
    got a small update :(o_O

well i went back the next next week and started removing the studs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it seemed close that the primer i'm using (Z- Chrome) might have done the job but i went ahead and did a skim coat to be safe. again, cought up in the moment and didn't get a pic of the blockout or primer after :mad: this was still during the time when its hot and humid so i guess i just wanted to get it done and go home to the a/c ;) ya i'm gonna go with that :oops:

around this time i ended up picking up another vehicle (truck) for myself at a good price so i worked on it for a couple weeks. had hood and fender damage, we happen to have both at the shop so i did some quick bodywork on those and painted and put on the truck.

BUT! :D i still managed to do something on the car ... had this spot on the passenger side rocker that i dealt with

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then came the time to tackle this that i've been putting off. so i started it yesterday ...

[​IMG]

looks like someone walked on it or something :confused: but i did my best to fix what i could myself, but much of it i couldn't do alone, but it was just me and well just my arms aren't long enough heh so i used hammers and slap sticks where i could. so at this point i went in to this knowing i was gonna have to do at least 2 coats

[​IMG]

so first coat i focused on lows :( i know a lot, and some more than others as you can see from the spots not getting hit. :(
    [​IMG]

so today i went in again for round 2 o_O did another skim over the hole thing

[​IMG]

some of the highs in the middle still came thru, but it is smooth in all directions so i'm gonna leave it and prime. so that brings me up to today. on a side note, does anyone have a template (or can make one) of the trim around the windows and doors? the rear quarters were welded as well as the doors. not looking to drill new holes in exact locations per say but even if i have to shift them slightly. that is my next task i have to do before i prime the top and have it all one color again. now that i am done with the roof i can work on the underside with treating the surface rust and re-expoxy it along with the floor. weather here is nice again so i will one again be going in early to work and staying late ... goal is to be in paint by years end, something to strive for ya know? :D even if i don't make it i'll have a lot done, at least in my mind. o_O till next next time cheers.

tomkelly88 and Surfcityrocker like this.