Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BEWARE!!! So-Cal Speed Shop 9" housings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M_S, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socalhotrodder

socalhotrodder

I am well aware. Just adding some details to the post from my seat for people's information.

H380 and arkiehotrods like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Thx for the info, now at least we know we don't have to be concerned about a downgrade in QC for Currie.

3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I was told John's Industries supplies the 9" housings for Pete & Jake's also.
    I needed some info from John's concerning axle bearings and they were most helpful. :)

4. roundvalley

roundvalley

Bottom line is that SO-Cal does not give a shit!

5window likes this.
  5. Roadsir

Roadsir

You crazy fucking Americans say I weld like Stevie Wonder!

pat59 likes this.
  6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's the problem with a machine weld. If it isn't right there could be many done the same way. There might be some indication of a cold weld on the bare metal but once it's painted there's no way to tell.

7. 5window

5window

So is So-Cal Sacramento part of this organization? And, if so, aren't they trusted Alliance vendors?

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

.....and the welds look a shit ton nicer!

afaulk and aussie oldie like this.
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, guys. I thought the owner of this shitty rearend clearly stated that Currie was not involved in this debacle. So why are we continuously referring back to Currie ?

10. Let's just assume for one moment that they have since discovered and now know that there's a bunch out there, say at least an entire shifts worth of bad setup & defective welds. They need to make a decision to either step up and recall the rears they've sold both good and bad since they don't know which are defective. OR vehemently deny any responsibility for any. The first rear housing defect that they honor opens the door.

You see it makes no sense why they should side step and deflect the issue to the manufacturer.

Can you imagine the up roar if rear housings were recalled even though it's the right thing to do?
    The work in setting them up, bracketing, coatings down time?
    Just guess they made 50.00 selling each one, now it costs them 1500 each to buy them back or send the customers new housings and tell them "yes you get to do it over again, sorry." Nope they want no part of that and say call the manufacture.

Deny deny deny , shaggy got caught bare assed and red handed and said "it wasn't me"

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  11. You can pass on that his "promotional Opp" worked! The offer was superior and shows there is an option in this market and that option cares about the customer, even if its not his problem to care about.
    He just won a shit ton more because of it.

seadog likes this.
  12. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

From a PM I received, they are aware of the thread and, as far as I have heard, intend to do nothing about it. Thats why I started the thread, to inform others before something bad happens.

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Gary, my post only hypothesized it may have been supplied by Currie ("if for example, Currie, supplied it").

My post of May 9th, was 2 days before the O/P posted a follow up sharing the housing was not supplied by Currie;

I have tried to make that very clear, this housing does NOT have a Currie tag on it. When I picked this housing up in Pomona, I was told they were no longer supplied by Currie and were using another supplier. Since this happened, So-Cal has said there are two possible suppliers of the housing, neither of those being Currie.

M_S, MAY 11, 2016!REPORT!
    SHARE POST#77LIKE+ QUOTEREPLY

It sucks that Socal won't go to bat for the customer by at least following up with the supplier on their customer's behalf.

14. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

That's between SoCal and their supplier, it has nothing to do with the customer. If I have a problem with my iPhone, I don't fly to the factory in China that assembled it.

15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpg
    Suspicious new housing in a local shop ... Looks to have so-cal brackets on it also

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  16. ^^^^^ That aint Purdy ! What's the low down on that particular housing?

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'd drill a 1/2 inch hole in the weld to see what's going on there.

18. Uh-oh

19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don't know much about it, looks like it was on a stalled project so it's possible the housing is from the same era as the one that started the thread, but if I were a betting man I would say they were from the same source, I felt inside the housing and there appears to be a slight step flange where it's welded , but it feels and looks mighty spooky to me ...

I don't think I would trust it ...especially after seeing this thread... I might not have givin it a second look otherwise though...

" just a new 9" housing right ?... What could go wrong?"

Soo it's very possible this thread could have saved someone else a trip to the hospital ..

. I saw a roadster at a swap that a 4 bar bracket broke from no penetration at the weld.. The car spun on the freeway the guy got ejected and died... This type of thing is serious... Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!... So-cal should be ashamed of themselves

20. 5window

5window

That's not even a good job of grinding-guess they're letting 6 year olds in for Take Your Child to Work Day. I might be maligning 6 year olds-sorry kids.

21. birdman1

birdman1

I am NOT an engineer by any means. I always weld a 1/4"x 1" strap iron from the bottom center of the housing to the axle tubes. as far as I can out. same thing on the top. then one across the back. Just imagine the twist and other forces beating on that housing as you slam through the gears with that hot engine and way too big tires. and then you complain the housing let go?? come on guys, racing parts never have been guaranteed by anyone. Including Ford.Just think about it.henry

22. oj

oj

Actually, the most destructive force on the housings are the brakes. When under launch etc the housing tries to roll into the bracket, when braking it tries to roll out. And you stop a lot quicker than you accelerate.
    I've learned this from personal first hand experience.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  23. :)

kidcampbell71 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grinding on a rearend housing and bracket mounts is like grinding on a roll cage...not in my lifetime.

25. 5window

5window

That's actually kind of funny if you think about it-because grinding those items may mean the end of your lifetime-weirdly wry.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am an engineer, by every means.

Please post a picture of what you are describing.

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think a large issue is that not enough worry is put into fit; shit an 1/8 or 3/16 gap of rear end brackets or roll bar tubes, frame pieces is no problem just fill it with weld..See it on tv and internet so must be ok? So they think..The more gap the more attention that each part needs in order to ensure that each part has weld penetration and the weld is joined, time consuming to have to weave back and forth between the two parts and if not careful [re careless] its easy to lay some molten stuff with out it being attached......

28. Let's lay off the politics, fellas.

29. 5window

5window

?? Did the offending post get deleted? If not, I'm missing the political angle. Just wondering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.