Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 302 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 302aod, May 19, 2016.

1. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I built a 302 for my 64 F100, having built many, but this 1 is locked up. I haven't torn it down yet, I think it is the cam locking it up because it will turn until the slack in the timing chain is used up, about 1/16th. The engine came from an 83 Grand Marquis with central fuel injection. I installed the parts to make a fuel pump and a carb work, from a used 302 engine. My question is do they have a different front cover for a non fuel pump application? I think my cam is locked up because of the fuel pump eccentric hitting the front cover.

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

There is an early and late timing chain on 302's Also check out the video and the one that follows it.

3. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

If it's double roller chain you need to two piece eccentric. It is not as thick as the one piece.

4. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The injection timing cover doesn't have provisions to mount a mechanical pump, so you'll need an older timing cover anyway.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sorry I can't help other than agree that the eccentric is likely the problem. With all due respect, this is why when I assemble a motor I give it one full rotation after each part gets installed. Learned the hard way when a main bearing cap was installed backwards once and caused a bind, after the motor was fully installed and ready to start up. Don't want to wait till the last minute to backtrack to find what's binding.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  6. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

This engine is out of an 83 Grand Marquis and was the 1st year for fuel injection Relic. 82 had a VV carb. There was a cover bolted to the cover blocking off the fuel pump, but with the fuel pump cover unbolted, it was like the older ones, hole and all. I got an 85 Mustang GT engine 1st, that was hit in the front, the balancer and front cover were both broke, I pulled the pan off and the front main cap was ok, but the threaded holes for it were messed up, I think that is where I got the eccentric from, but not 100% sure Primered and I think it's the 2 piece, but not 100% sure of that either. I will know much more when I take the cover off. I plan to do a lot more measuring before I put it back together. I worked for dealerships for 26 years and built many engines, but this is the 1st time I've had any trouble.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The two piece eccentric was the earlier one (sorry don't know age range, but 1965 had them). They are a cup within a cup and they are thin gauge stamped steel, as opposed to the one piece which seems to be machined. When I installed my 2 row timing chain on my 1975 engine, the instructions called for the two piece. Luckily, I had one on hand.

8. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Thanks everybody for your help.