Register now to get rid of these ads!

394 Olds Rocket vs. Muncie 4-speed - fight to the death!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheaterslick, Mar 9, 2006.

1. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

I have another thread looking for adapter parts in the classifieds, but rather than discuss it there, I've heard you can use some late BOP parts to make this happen?? News to me...is this true? Now I'm just trying to avoid the $1000-$1500 for the adapter setup here, somone must have a cheaper solution or old adapter parts somewhere. I have the bell/flywheel/throwout arm for the muncie to SBC if any of that is useful. We can make/machine just about anything, any thoughts?

2. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Check with Wilcap in CA. www.wilcap.com They have a Olds to chevy manual in there catalogue for $385. Pat can also make up a custom one if you need it.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

B-O-P parts? News to me. The 394 flywheel is externally balanced, and even if you bought a Schiefer aluminum wheel for it, there was a footnote in the catalog that stated that it would have to be rebalanced before use. I guard my stock '64 stick flywheel with my life! As far as bell housings go, you'll really have to luck out to find an old Transdapt or Speed Gems adapter for a reasonable price. I had an extra one that I sold last summer for $350. The good part about Speed Gems adapters is that they had one basic casting and drilled it for whatever transmission, so don't pass on one that's advertised for another gearbox, because it will still have enough meat to be redrilled for a general motors four speed.

4. rdachsdog

rdachsdog
    from michigan

I contacted Eelco [northwest speed?], recently, they emailed back and said they hope to have early olds bellhousings out this spring and later 371 394 bellhousings and flywheels by mid to late summer. Hopefully that will make it easier for us early olds fans.:cool:

5. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Thanks Heathen, good to know about the older adapters. Levis, I may end up going with Wilcap but the bell (385) + flywheel (375) + PP, disk , arm & misc is killer especially after shipping. I was just hoping I could find a low-buck route but it doesn't look like it's in the cards. Does anyone think/know if a Wilcap bell will work with a stock Olds manual flywheel (as apposed to buying a new one)?

6. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

That's good news, I'd like to be layin rubber by then though! Bendstens has a new setup too, but it's $1500. :0
    For the record, what changed from early to late (324 to 371) bellhousings at the back of the motor?

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No reason it shouldn't. The starter is located by the stock lower housing anyway; all the bell does is locate the transmission.

8. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

9. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

10. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

11. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

12. muffman58

muffman58

Why can`t you just make a flat adapter plate that bolts to the engine with a bolt pattern to the chevy bellhousing? I know that I have seen similar bellhousing adapters before for other applications.

13. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

The Olds has an extended bellhousing that makes for a different depth bell than with a Chev motor. You could fab one if you knew the depths needed...hmm...

14. muffman58

muffman58

I`m not real familar with this engine, just thought that you said fab work was not a problem. If it came down to spending, like you mentioned, a couple grand, than I know that I`d sure be looking at alternatives. You could always shorten the chevy bell & heli it to the new plate! Just think, If you could make this work how big your head would swell! Adapt/Overcome!

15. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

just to drop in and answer a few questions.
    We wouldn't commit to the fitment on the later applications until we bolted it up and tested. I understand that thy are the same to 64 but i wanted to see for myself. I have the blanks for the flywheels and should have them ready sometime this month.

16. CGkidd

CGkidd

Bendstens sells the adapter seperate you might want to check with them.
    Eric