Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. alchemy

alchemy

There is no spring under the cowl band brackets. Just a gap. Make sure you install a proper gasket between the firewall and cowl band or all your alignment efforts will be worthless. Get this gasket from Drake or Carpenter. Also use all the proper welting under the subframe when you are aligning things. And get all the proper bolts from Nacsweitz (sp?).

2. image.jpg Yea I have this cowl gasket already. I also have a roll of nos welting. I just got some 3/8 bolts and 3/8 carriage bolts for the body. Is there something special about the bolts from nacsweitz??? Thank you.

3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Now that's Cyc!!!!! ;). I'm glad to see you behind the wheel.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    paintslinger805 likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

The bolts from www.fordscript.com are exact. If you don't mind hardware store bolts, they should work just fine. Just depends on how exact to Grandpa's you are going for. I'd bet Grandpa used the original bolts to reattach the body if he ever took it off, but it's very few guys who can tell the difference.

5. Thanks alchemy,
    I will get those. My plan is to get r done as fast as I can with what I can find now so I can make it to trog. And so my grandpa can injoy it. Then as I find more and more original parts at swapmeets and internet ect. Ect. I will change them out. Like my windshield it's aftermarket but it's all I can find. I would love to have an old crusty one but I just can't find one. I might even not run a windshield. I'm hoping this will be the years that everyone brings their roadster parts out to the Lars swapmeet. Hell the roll I'm on maybe I find every last part I need there......

6. alchemy

alchemy

The roll you are on you'll find all the last parts before this weekend.

7. That would be nice.

8. I'm gonna bring the car down to the L.A. Roadster show and hang signs on it. I need this part I need that part. Maybe I can find some guys that got the part but not the car it gos on.

9. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bruce;
    Would probably be more productive that walking around with a sign hanging around your neck!!:D Will see you and hopefully Gramps there.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's a great idea. Add a small picture to each needed posting. Maybe a brief story board with pics of Grandpa's original roadster, etc. Even a 32 hoarder may find it in his heart to let go of a part once he SEES that there's a good home for the part and that you're not buying the part to flip or hoard. I agree with you and Kevin; that's what Traditional Hot Rodding is really about. Helping a fellow enthusiast get his car on the road rather than a contest to see who can hang the most grille shells on their shop wall.
    In the past, I've gave away parts to guys to help a build along. I believe in karma, and the Hot Rod Gods will pay you back with a good find once in a while if you treat others right.

11. Hey mike,
    What do you think I'm almost there it's been what 5 years since the picnic. All of this has really kicked in, in the last year from frame to chassis to motor to now real body. Stop by and hang out at Father's Day. I will have ice cold drinks a pop up and some chairs. My grandpa says he will be there. I'm gonna pick him up sat. And bring him to hang out at my swap space. Maybe bring your photo albums to refresh him mind alittle if it's not to much trouble. I will see you then.

12. Now that is a great idea to bring it to the swap meet. Plus I will get to see it and meet gramps in person. Now I have something else to look forward to next month.

13. A story board is a good idea. I'm gonna put one together and if nothing else I can charge for pictures sitting inside the car. I guess I could always sell pictures and posters and hats, shirts cupcakes an arm and an a leg to afford those 5000 auburn dashes to. Maybe I could trade a kidney for one. That's why kiwi Kevin , runnin shine, and 383 duece all can say hey see that car over there it's got parts on it that I have him for the build. Them some real car guys there. There's too many guys with parts that are swinging under rainbows on rope swings. Too close to the so called gold. But hey no big deal. It's those kind of guys that can't go buy a $$$$ dollar 32 original roadster body like I did. ;)
    Oohhhhhhhh smack Ok no more hoarder talk I will get back to only the build from here on out.

14. I will be bringing it for guys like yourself to injoy. Guys on the hamb that are interested in it and are gonna be there will be able to see it. It should look like his car by then also paint wise. Stop by for a cold one.

15. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bruce;
    Looking forward to seeing the "progress" in person. Yeah I will defiantly bring the albums. I'll copy your Gramps pictures for you and him. Do you have a space number yet, or is it too early? Hopefully Kevin will be there also.

16. I'm trying to get a couple of those pop up tent things custom printed with hypersonic special and his scta number on them. If I can have them by then it will be easy to find me just have to look for the pop ups.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome;) I think I still have your cell # If you haven't changed it lately?

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Will be there Mike,
    Most likely in a Deuce. Looking forward to seeing you as well. We're gonna have a great time there.

19. clem

clem

You may want to verify that. Most don't believe there was a bolt in there, but that it was used to pull the body out over the firewall in the factory.
    If there was a bolt in there - why the gap ?
    Others say it was used to adjust door gaps.
    Hope this helps.
    Cool story/ relationship with your grandfather, cool build happening, thanks for sharing.
    Clemens

20. Hey Wyatt, you said you peed alittle on Monday when I sent you the first pictures. I now have peed myself too....
    It will look better when I get a radiator to hold the grill shell in the right spot. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Well Clemens I can tell you I had a
    C-clamp holding down on that hole and I got the door to line up really good but I just took it off so this hood side would sit right and now the door is way off again. I will have to have a bolt in there for the door to be in line. I think back to my time working at a rod and kustom shop and I kind of remember the ol man putting a spring in the gap with a bolt. Kevin also said they put springs in there so... Maybe we are all right.

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I think what I like best(besides it not looking like birddogs car with a hood) is another guy building something so substantial in a garage not very conducive to productivity getting it done.

22. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Damn it... So I knew the door handle and latches were rusted shut and didn't work. The drivers door was off the car when I got it so I started with that one today first. I hit it with pb blaster penetrating oil "this stuff stinks" and let it sit for awhile and drank a beer thinking. Then I start to play with it till I got it to work like a charm. It's got good spring back and all at the handle. So I then said time for the pass. Door. I did see when I got it that there was no inside door handle but I just now see there's not even the bracket inside the door that the handle bolts too...... Why meeeeeeeeeeee...... The passenger door is hammered so I guess I'm gonna have to start looking for a pass. Door. Anyone got one for this project?????

23. image.jpg
    Ha tell me about it I live on an acre of land and only have a two car garage. If only I could get my wife's 67 Camaro out of my way I would have more hotrod room. She says the only way it's leaving the garage is when it's done and she's driving out. So that's gonna have to wait.:rolleyes: Plus it's good for storage:D

24. image.jpg image.jpg Anybody got a clue as to where this gos

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'm way too embarrassed to post mine or even my backyard, I will say that I'm Tin Rich….but way cash poor ;). But this thread is keeping many peeps motivated including myself. Keep up the pace Bruce!

26. Anybody have an original Henry roadster with out interior that can shoot a few shots of the inside quarter panel areas. I would like to see if I'm missing any braces or parts inside the car for structure. Also the cowl area where it bolts down to the frame would really help me out. Thanks y'all

27. image.jpg Does anybody know the guy who owns this roadster. I would like to see if I could get in touch with him. I have a few questions for him if possible....

Cyclone Kevin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Steve Glucoft and Josh Higgins. Built with some help from their friend Jeff Hoge.
    One of my favorites!!

29. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Doesn't get much better than the Amocat deuce roadster...perfect 40's roadster. You ever consider leavin the roadster in all its rusty glory? JohnnyA