Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hub cap options ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flyn schlosser, May 19, 2016.

1. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

bought a set of 16's mopar steel wheels from the 40s to 50s from a fellow hamber .4inches wide in process of ordering the proper tires .Thse wheels are set up to run hub caps I been told 40 ford will work . There going on my fender less 28 coupe .I dont think i want to run beauty rings . Give me your opinion on what hub caps you guys would run . All advice is appreciated

2. If they have inside clips look at the dog dish 50's Olds.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

How about full wheel covers... new motor in coupe 005.JPG

tb33anda3rd and flyn schlosser like this.
  4. the first thing i would do was find out if `40 Ford caps actually fit on them...then you could run any cap from `40-`48 if they do

5. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Ford made an adapter on Econolines a few years ago, to use 15" wheel covers on 16" wheels.

6. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I will get a picture posted of the wheels tomorrow morning also

7. Squablow

Squablow

I know my '40 Chrysler caps fit onto '54 DeSoto wheels (with the clips) so I would think any 40-54 Mopar cap would fit.

Full wheel covers in a 16" diameter are very hard to find.

8. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

I used 32 V8 caps on smoothie steel wheels without beauty rings on my build. I like simple and clean. Rather people walk up and see entire car instead of looking a one particular thing. Bought an adapter from wheel company to adapt 5 1/2 (or something close to that) caps to normal 15" rims. Pics in my media.

9. squirrel

squirrel

87 (and other years) chevy trucks had that also.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

My bad, I just realized you're talking about 16" wheels and I showed 15" wheel covers.. Sorry...

11. Squablow

Squablow

You'd have to piece together a whole set, but I think these caps are awesome. Made by National (of Hollywood flipper fame) but they didn't want to pay licensing for them to say Plymouth so they basically say huhuhuh on them, check this one out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-NOS...ash=item4afd93f31e:g:tEIAAOSw-YBXF--H&vxp=mtr

I've seen them before so they can't be super rare. Would be a real unique detail and should fit directly onto your wheels.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like "huhuhuh". Pretty funny.

13. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Those are awes
    Squablow those are awesome i would run those . I might have to start collecting i went and measured they should fit .

14. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Those are awes
    Squablow those are awesome i would run those . I might have to start collecting i went and measured they should fit .

Squablow likes this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

It's not the first one I've seen, I bet if you search around for a while you could make up a whole set. You'll probably find them one at a time, since they were made as cheapie replacements for stock caps and not generally marketed as sets like the custom caps.

16. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

here is a pic of the wheel it's hard to see but each wheel has 5 prongs to hold the hub cab .

Attached Files:

17. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I bid on the one on ebay so will see what happens .I definitely think its something cool and different .

18. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

my family is from dayton ohio my dad was born there but grandparents moved to california in 58 when my dad was 6 months old .

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

302 AOD hit the Ford pickups did this too and with the adapter rings used 55-56 Ford Fairlane 15". That would be cool.