Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fram, Wix, or AC Oil filter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atomickustom, Mar 10, 2006.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

Got a question for experienced pros: which oil filter brand should I use? I've used Fram for a long time, but recently read in a Chevy performance magazine that they've had some problems, and stick with AC. Does it really matter? I drive mostly in-town, some highway, and go around 2,000 miles between oil changes.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've used all of the brands you mentioned, and have never had a problem with any of them. For the light service you are using them for, I don't really think it matters--your 2000 mile change interval is more important than filter brand.

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I have used AC for a long time and have noticed in the last 6 months a drastic change in the construction quality. It may filter the same but the look of the construction is crap. The threaded boss is much thinner the filter is 3/4 of an inch shorter in total height and the filter element inside looks diferent. The Fram filters still look like the old ACs did inside and I just bought a Purolator that looks to be a nice heavy constructed filter like the AC used to be. I have heard good things about NAPAs filters. I opened up a valucraft filter at Autozone and compared it to the new AC and it is the exact same filter. It used to be nice to be loyal to a brand and know you were getting quality but now you have to watch everyhing.

4. dr_amx

dr_amx

Wix, Purolator

5. I agree. Both Wix and Puro is suppose dto be the best. Anything but Fram from every report I've ever read. Since Puro are always on sale, I use them a lot.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Wix is best. The same filter is boxed by NAPA and sold as their "gold line" filter.

AC Delco and Motorcraft are comparable to each other, and are decent.

Wouldn't put a Fram on an engine that I hate. They're notorious for collapsing and getting a big chunk of cardboard stuck in the oiling system.

Wouldn't use anything but a Wix, really. They're easy to get.

7. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I wasnt going to mention it but since it already has been I will.

I saw a report once where about 5-7 filter brands were tested, and I remember most filters being about the same, but wix was on the top. And in like a dead last, much worse than the others case, fram was at the way bottom. I thought that it seemed funny but the report seemed legit so I will stick with wix as I always have.

8. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Napa gold (Wix) = good
    Baldwin = good
    Fram...not in YOUR lawnmower.
    didn't mention what you are using this on, but s/b chevy has a short & long filter. Also can use the 454 truck filter (2 quart) on most small blocks if you have room....kinda acts as a heat dissapator
    Ford also has a 2 quart option on the 370 / 429 truck negines, if you have a remote mount. For clearence challanged fords...use a chrysler filter, 'bout an inch shorter
    just my .02

9. Mutt

Mutt

More Wix. Check around, because Wix makes filters for a lot of people, like NAPA and Carquest, among others.

Mutt

10. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

Stay away from Fram. I have to hunt around for it, but there was a picture floating around the web, where someone had taken all of the major brands of filters and cut them open to show how each were constructed. . .number of pleats in actual filter media, end plates, case construction, etc. The Balsa wood planes we built as kids were more durable than the Fram. I will try to find the pic and post it here.

11. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

12. AC is a GM affiliated company. Does that answer your question?

I use fram, I've used others but I've always had good luck with fram filters. I suppose that can all change in an instant 'cause chit happens. But they rank pretty high on my list.

Wix also makes a good filter and I haven't heard anything bad about AC either. But if you've had good luck with a product why change?

13. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

Ive used em all but... Ive noticed that the tin on the wix is a lil thin(not that it does anything againsed performance) just that if a rock kicks up from bein lo to the ground!!

14. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

I guess I don't need to find the pic. . .51-Merc CT posted the link to the article that I remembered.

15. redfox97

redfox97

Wix. Do not use Fram. Check around at auto parts stores. I worked at an indy parts store for 15 years. We had Fram,Wix and Motorcraft filters cut open on the counter for inspection. The Wix had like twice the folds/pleats of the Fram,motorcraft was not bad,but the Wix looked to be the best. A lot of people would come in looking specifically for Wix also. Thats all I use.

16. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Fram is junk I bought a beater for cheap due to it having low oil pressure Saw it had a Fram filter pulled it, put a good one on it Low oil pressure problem gone. Still not the best oil pressure but the light doesnt blink at you when idling.

Dawg

17. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

Last year I changed my oil in my 57 Chevy, getting it ready for summer. I installed a Fram oil filter. Starting it up for the 1st time of the year I couldn't believe hot low my oil pressure was. Figuring drag racing had finally taken its toll on my engine I was all ready to pull it and rebuild the engine, I tried a different guage, same reading. Took off the fram and installed a puroilator filter and oil pressure was back up to normal. I'll never use a Fram again!

Duke

18. I switched to Wix at the urging of my parts guys. I saw a noticable change in how long it took the oil to start to get dark. They had a few cutout filters for a comparison and the Wix had the most filter media.

I'm sold on Wix.

19. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..
    Lots of folks that race Pontiacs are tell'n Fram filters are cause'n big problems.
    Guys are use'n WIX.....
    Pontiac Slim

20. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Fram is pure shit and I had a problem similar to mentioned above. A few years ago I needed a filter on a Sunday evening and the only place open was Wal Mart. I get the best Fram with the nice hand grip and put it on my old 239 Y Block in the F350.

Didnt even fire it up until Monday AM when I was taking off to pick up a bunch of flatheads at a barn. First thing I noticed was about 10-15 # lower than normal. Just figured the 239 was getting tired. After a 30 mile trip the pressure was 5# at idle.

Mentioned that putting in the 292 project was going to have to be moved up in time on a Y Block forum. First reply was "Are you using a Fram" followed by links to that filter study mentioned. Stopped by a parts store on the way home and picked up an old trusty Motorcraft FL1A and put it on; pressure back to normal but the 292 went in anyway.

Ive since read many Fram horror stories on all types of forums.

FRAM SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!!!

I use WIX, Purolator Plus, Hastings and the FL1A which has been around since God.

21. Frams are absolute crap, I thought most everyone knew it.

Wix are damn good filters and all I buy, they're made by Dana Corp.

22. Fram USED TO be good.

I suspect,based on all the horror stories that they are putting
    all their money into advertising,instead of producing a quality product.

Unfortunately, a trend in "business".Quality is seen as a liability,not an asset.

23. Slate

Slate

Purolator (the premium plus is better), wix is OK and for one of my cars that runs mobil1 I use the mobil1 filter. More expensive, but realtively cheap compared to engine repairs. Just got back an oil analysis results with the mobil1 filter/oil combo and engine is clean of wear metals on a 113k engine that I've had since about 70k.

24. Doug F.

Doug F.

I took a Purolator from the box a couple months ago. It had metal shavings (left over from the manufacturing process) clinging to the threaded base. I wiped them off and used it anyway. Probably a bad decision. I wonder how many were inside and were subsequently flushed directly into my bearings???

25. I relly like Wix, but I tried a K&N and I liked that one too! I really like end where you can use a socket or wrench....

26. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

F**K FRAM, I had one blow off a GL1500 cycle and anouther one come apart on a 302 ford. I use K&N or NAPA Gold.

27. LongT

LongT

I've got K&N. Could be BS but they say they have a valve in there to reduce drain back. I also think that it holds 2 quarts of oil.

28. Has anyone here used one of these & done their own "cutaway" test?
    I've gotta magnet that came from a late model GM tranny pan stuck to the bottom of the filter on my daily.It never falls off between changes,but Im thinking about getting one of these though.This FRAM shit is scaring me,as that's all Ive ever used,but never a problem.

http://www.filtermag.com/

29. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I use a canister filter on all my sbc. No collapsing problems. Just take the old out of the can and put a new one in.

The minivan and durango get fram filters. Or whatever is on sale. The 383 in the plymouth gets a good filter from the local machine shop/parts store. I don't remember the brand but it's white.

30. Domino

Domino

As someone that sells auto parts, I will try my hardest to persuade someone not to buy Fram. They are not a good filter. I always run a Motorcraft filter on my Fords and an AC filter on my Chevys. I do like Wix. I have never had a problem with them ever. Now for a little FYI. The FL1A got some bad publicity a few years back when I batch got out with a faulty seal. They were all recalled, but a lot of people were mad. The AC filter that used to be a PF35 that is now a PF1218 has a lesser know counterpart. The PF1218CL is the exact same length as the old PF35 and the threads and base plate are the same as well. I keep them in stock at my store for a lot of my customers.