Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 f1 running boards y/n

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat boy, Mar 5, 2006.

1. rat boy

rat boy
    from Merced ca

Hello, I don't know how many times I should mention the fact that I'm new here but there you go. I would like to see any pics that anyone may have of a 1948-52 Ford F1 without the running boards. I'm going to channel mine soon and I can't seem to visualize the truck laid out minus the running boards. I don't want to go fenderless though. If you have anything, please, I'd love to see it.

Well, I took them off today now I just need to figure out what to do with them. Should I move them up or leave them off. I need pics if anyone has any or if one of you computer photo manipulators out there can hack one apart I'd appreciate it. thanks

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's time for you to leave the nest and get out on the main board with your question.

3. rat boy

rat boy
    from Merced ca

Oh, thanks.

4. nuffen yet:confused:

5. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

My F1 is just getting started and its disassembled right now. I don't have any pictures of it showing fenders without running boards. I went through my F1 picture files and all of them have running boards. Check with Sawzall. I recall he had an old F1 but he may have sold it. He may have pictures in his files, that is unless he had a hard disk crash. Remember to back up you files so a hard disk crash doesn't cause you to lose your electronic memory.

6. ...just my 2 cents but...I don't think it will look rite w/o runnin boards or at least some kind of filler panel to tie the front and rear fenders together.
    ...you'll probly tell better if you get your truck mocked up. I know on a stock bodied truck they always look incomplete til the boards are in place.

...Good luck w/ your truck.

7. spudshaft

spudshaft

I've got a 50 f-1, and I've had the running boards off a lot working on the fenders etc. I think it looks goofy, but to each their own.

I think one of the neat things about an old truck (or car for that matter) are the running boards.

8. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

I know what you mean. Whenever I look at early 50s Stude trucks I am always looking for the running boards. They just look missing.

There's a practical element to them too. It's easier to get stuff in the back and to get in your truck with them on.

9. plymouth_man

plymouth_man
    from WI.

I don't have any pic. until spring. but it might look better if you run the short running boards for the flat bed truck. if you want to sell them pm. me,I'm looking for the full length running boards. also if they look to big,cut some out of the middle of the board and weld back together,don't know how it would look at the front fender though. can make them swope back from the front fender to the back of the cab,than back out to the back fender. Kind of like notching them out in the center,and weld back the rolled end back in place to mach the flow of the running boards.If that makes sence.

10. k-member

k-member

If you channel it just set the cab a quarter inch off the boards like the Chuck Porter truck. I was going to channel mine but I chopped it 4 inches and with the channel it takes up alot of room and there's not alot of room to begin with. And remeber when you channel one of these, you need to modify and lower the core support or seriously pancake the hood if you want the nose to fit right. I weighed out all the work and decided to not channel mine just cause I want to drive mine sooner and I needed the extra room for those long drives. They sure do look cool when channeled though. Good luck and show some pics of the progress.

11. atch

atch

fwiw: the flat bed truck running boards you mention all seem to be alike, whether from an f-2 or f-6 or anywhere in between. the same running board was used for panel trucks. they just cut a small notch out of the rear top to make it fit and covered it up with a piece of rubber moulding.

12. with....drag them off if ya dont like them
    [​IMG]

13. rat boy

rat boy
    from Merced ca

Yeah, you know the more I look at it apart like this th less I like it, thanks.

14. rat boy

rat boy
    from Merced ca

Do you happen to have a pic of that chop? I'm going to (some time down the road) chop mine too but I don't want to take it too far because the front of these trucks are so big. Thanks for the tips.

15. rat boy

rat boy
    from Merced ca

Just in case anyone noticed my little pic (avatar) you can see my truck. It is, I think, a 49 but it could be a maybe a 48 or 51, right? Is there a way to tell without the vin? The vin in the glove box is gone, whatever was on the firewall is unreadable and the numbers on the frame have been obliterated by the hillbilly former owners welding motor mounts on that could hold up a Sherman tank. Oh and that is a 51 front end, yes, I decided I like the 51 a bit more than the the one that was on there, which I still have, if anyone is looking.

16. PrimeEvil

PrimeEvil
    from N Utah

48-50=small back window
    column shift=mid/late 50
    flat bedside panels=mid/late 50

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

I have been researching there for the 50 i just acquired last weekend.I like the 51/52 front clip as well and looking for one to replace the beat up front on mine!
    Iam planning to chop mine about 3".

And here is an inspirational truck=oldbeets!
    [​IMG]

17. sawzall

sawzall

here's my old f1.. sold it last spring.. about this time.
    [​IMG]

this is a mock up photo.. prohably taken fall or winter of 2002? maybe 03?

pretty much exactly what you asked for.. I think it looks like shit this way.. gotta have the running boards.

[​IMG]
    this photo is the best shot I have of the boards I made for the truck.. they were 1 and 1/2 inch round tube and some 18 ga that I welded up.. this photo shows the the truck "down" but it would still have gone LOWER..

click here to see all my photoshttp://public.fotki.com/sawzallshop/sawzalls_shop_-_projects/for_sale/

18. Radshit

Radshit

I'm with Sawzall....If I didn't have running boards....I wouldn't know how low I could go....

Attached Files:

19. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Wow that truck is cool radshit.

Primevil - whose truck is that? I noticed that there is the stainless deluxe trim around the window and it's been modified for the chop. I wonder how it was shortened and put back together?

20. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Here's one for ya. Radshit, I've seen your truck around town, not lately tho!
    Reassembly of Front End 6-15-05 xx.jpg

21. PrimeEvil

PrimeEvil
    from N Utah

That would be Oldbeets truck!Great looking aint it?

22. k-member

k-member

That trim was cut and welded by Al Book back in the 70's. My pops has had that thing since 1975 or so.

23. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

you need the running boards!!

24. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

The boards are one of the items that make an F1 in my opinion. It's one of the 'hot spots' the eye looks at when one identifies an old truck.

When I think of F1's without boards, it makes me think of the easter egg pro street look of the 80's. JMO.

25. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Thanks. I've never seen a chopped F1 with the deluxe trim before. I'll have to do that to mine after the chop.