Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tunnel ram for 350 chevy street rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ampsbad41, May 14, 2016.

1. ampsbad41

ampsbad41
    from Texas

News help with what I need to run a tunnel ram on a street rod style gasser not sure of best cam or carbs I will have stock 350 heads port and polished New springs just really want for look I'm . Building a 41 Plymouth into a gasser old school to the best of my knowledge with a 55 Ford front axle narrowed and chevy 12 bolt in rear may want to add ac for summer cruising as Texas gets hot will have plexaglass side windows so won't open much but won't be driving long way

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. slammed

slammed

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Check this out. Not really a tunnel ram, but looks pretty cool anyway and supposed to have very good street manners.

https://www.realstreetram.com/

[​IMG]

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm going to put a tunnel ram on the 355 in my O/T truck later this summer, I will be using two 1850s, with a balance tube on the vacuum chambers.

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

These engines were not special built for running a tunnel ram, I like to keep things simple for trouble free driving.
    Two 500 Edelbrocks, great on the street.
    image.jpeg
    I had two 600 Edelbroks on this one, yea, I love tunnel rams.
    image.jpeg
    Single 600
    image.jpeg

mad mikey, wraymen and ampsbad41 like this.
  6. I love tunnel rams! My engine builder talked me out of the one I had but I got dual carbs.

wraymen likes this.
  7. They are doable, just don't throw in the towel right away, it takes a bit of time to get them running just right. I like dual quads and have three cars in the garage with them, from short to tall, Holley's to Carters.

Attached Files:

8. Your cam choice depends on what you want the engine to do, RPM range etc. I would probably not run a monster cam on a low compression engine. If you want a good driving around car with a little grunt the L-79 type of cam is a good choice, it works well with 9:1 compression or up and is easy to set up. Then you tune your tunnel to match the fuel mixture needs.

I have run a pair of 600 holleys on a mild to medium built small block before and had no real problems once I get my secondary springs set up and the proper main and power valves. I have run them straight up or progressive. I have also run a pair of 450 holleys on a tunnel rammed small block and was happy with them too.

Anyway if you don't have a lot of compression don't use a lot of cam shaft and tune whatever carbs you decide on to match.

9. threewindow

threewindow

Got a tunnel ram on my A coupe with a 468 big block chevy. Had two 600 hollys, never could get it to run right. I put two AFB Carters on it. Hard to believe the differance, Starts easy, runs great and will idle forever. Using an electric choke on back carb, Starts easy, runs great , winter or summer. It's a offy 360 degree tunnel ram.

10. I am encouraged by positive stories. When my builder balked I felt like I would be happy with the twin 4's so once I have an established baseline and the 2 year warranty is over I can switch to the Tunnel Ram and tune from there.

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

I ran twin Carter 625 cfm AFB's (modified) on a tunnel ram on my Chevy 388 backed by a 5 speed in my '41 Willys ..... Loved it !

W1.jpg

W25.jpg

12. ampsbad41

ampsbad41
    from Texas

Thanks for all the help I was thinking of an L82 cam from what I have read so far but the L79 May be a better choice I will post pictures when I get my goodies together

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I too am appreciating the past experience from those who have ran these and found success. I am putting a tunnel ram on my 57 Chevy and this info will be very useful.

14. dstangl

dstangl
    from central MN

I had plenty of people say it wouldn't work or I wouldn't be happy with it but I have a Weiand tunnel ram and two 450 holleys on an old 350 pulled from an 80's chevy truck. With little past experience it took a while to get it working but it's been running a couple years now and several thousand miles with no problems and I love it! GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg