Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gary Essman

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Michelle Essman Carls, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

keeps getting better - as a side note, on TV Show called America, Velocity Channel, recent episode was about a member of a famous rail drag racing team , Bob Keith, that looked for the team's rail for over 40 years. Host of show found it and contacted Bob Keith. It was partly restored to run again before Keith passed away. will show again March 31, Thurs, 9:30

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. On vacation in California last week and went to the NHRA museum. I looked at all the helmets there, but did not see your fathers. I had my fingers crossed...
    image.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  3. Thank you Chucky for looking out for his helmet . I love the picture . My son is going to the Texas Round Up in about 2 weeks a lot of West Coast and especially Californian's have moved to Tx he is going to look for it there also you never know they have a lot of vintage stuff in booths. I'm unable to make the Round up my younger son has a huge gymnastic meet and a chance to qualify to Nationals. I hope to catch it next year

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Michelle: I seen the the Bantom {spelling] run at Colton Ca, a lot, Fast car. Thanks for sharing.

5. This is me trying to help my Dad and my Uncle Frank Sandavol with the dragster :) I will have to day I look a little greasy

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  6. Hey hey boo boo let's go get some pic ah nic baskets... You are his little boo boo... I also will be on the look out for this helmet. Thank you for posting your family history. Your dad got to drive the balls off some badass cars.

7. I found out from the owner Bill who owns the remake of the Magic Muffler Fiat that this isn't my Dad in the Black Magic Muffler car it a guy named Paul and only drove this car once

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Found out this isn't my Dad it's a guy named Paul he drove the Black Magic car once and this is the pic of him in it. The owner of the remake of the Magic Muffler car let me know about it . My Dad's helmet and his helmet looked similar except my Dad had the Yogi Bear on the front of his helmet .

9. Picture my Dad had some artist draw for him . The company my Dad worked for and was vice president of he asked them to help sponsor a young man who raced midgets in the 90's The picture was hanging in his office and by his name on the car he was entertaining the idea of getting back in the race car with help from the company [​IMG][​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  10. Here is a picture of a car my Dad saw at a car show my Mom said he wanted to build one like this . Can someone tell me what make and model this car is or is it a kit car ? I love the eggplant color and I'm sure it's a Chrysler engine that was his favorite [​IMG][​IMG]

11. A gentleman by the name of Rick Wilson does car art . He knew my Dad back in the day . He is retired now and does art for a hobby I believe . He has a lot of art on vintage race cars . He contacted me after my Dad passed away he met with my Dad some years back in Vegas when they lived there and talked about the good old days . He drew this art picture of my Dad driving his dragster he owned for free . I sent him picture of my Dad's dragster and here is the final picture it will be available soon on his website along with other cars he has done art on . rickwilsoncustomcarart com I don't know if my Dad would consider himself a legend but it was what Rick thought he was to him [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  12. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Great pict of a HERO>

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  13. I know my Dad would of loved this ! Thank you guys

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for update info

15. happilyretired

happilyretired

16. happilyretired

happilyretired

Michelle, you look like my "typical" drag racing art client !!! RICK WILSON www.dragracingartprints.com

17. happilyretired

happilyretired

I had the pleasure of doing a piece of art for Michelle and her Mom showing Gary flying off the starting line and simulating the LIONS drag strip. Art will post on my drag site about July. www.dragracingartprints.com

18. happilyretired

happilyretired

[
    This was a fun draw for Michelle and her Mom. I stunned Gary when we met in Vegas and I saw the last name on some paperwork I was doing for him. I asked if he drove fuelers and altered, and it was "game on" from there on out. So sorry he has passed on. He had ice water in his veins as drivers go, very competitive guy. That one picture with your pretty Mom back by the fence pregnant with you, Michelle, shows her next to the Warren-Coburn-Miller car is crewed on occasionally to help friend Roger Coburn when he, Marv, and Jim were shorthanded at the drags. Not sure of the connection between Gary and the team, but this was the last front-motored fueler they ran before their first rear-motored rig. I did an art piece for Roger's daughter showing Jim's first ride, the last front car, and the first rear car all in a collage. It is for sale as an 11"x17" print for $2 on my art site www.dragracingartprints.com RICK WILSON

19. Thank you so much Rick for more information on the Warren Coburn Miller I have a lot of pictures and my Dad didn't write anything on the back I know he step in for owners if they didn't have a driver or couldn't drive that night and he helped put some dragsters together

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

21. catdad49

catdad49

Great stuff to peruse on a Tues. Morning. Thank you Michelle for sharing.

22. Well you know how when somebody passes away you find somethings out you didn't know . I chose to call it uncovering a worm . Well I have been telling y'all my Dad only owned his own dragster well come to find out after looking in draglist it kept saying he owned a dragster with my Frank Sandoval I asked my Mom about this she said no not that I'm aware of well busted I found evidence on a old hidden away picture needless to say my Mom had a few choice words for a passed away father and not good words she never asked and he he never said anything about the US Speed Shop dragster. This is my Dad racing the dragster in the picture LOL :)[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

24. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

26. Mart

Mart

Great thread, and a fitting tribute to your Dad. Please don't think me picky, but "Monkey Motion" sounds a lot better than "Monkey Moron". Monkey Motion was a term used to describe the overhead valve engines gaining in popularity after the classic Flathead era. Monkey Motion after the action of the rocker arms.

Mart.

27. Monkey motion.jpg Here is picture I found of one of the cars my Dad drove as I find new pictures I will be sharing them with y'all still

28. I just spent a couple hours looking at this thread - really fun and an awesome 'ride' down memory lane. I sure hope you find your Dad's helmet - wouldn't that be super cool to have "back in the family". Thanks for all your posting and family history - keep it going!

B&S