Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pinion and gear offset early ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rat_Fink, May 13, 2016.

1. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink

Hi.
    I'm wondering what the offset is on the early ford v8 rear ends?
    The offset i'm looking for is for the pinion and ring gear.
    I only wants facts no guesses.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you mean flathead banjo , none both axles are the same length.

4. Let me fathom a guess that what Rat Fink is asking is gear lash. General old timer setup trick is to take a piece of *news print and fold it in two, run it through the gears and it should be creased with sharp creases, not torn ( too tight) and not just wrinkled (too loose) that is going to be about .011 as I recall.

*The dull pages not the shiny ads.

5. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink

No I'm looking for the offset from center of pinion to center ring gear

6. Andy

Andy

There is no vertical offset. The centerlines intersect. The side to side distance is adjusted with the gaskets to set the tooth mesh. The pinion is centered on the differential.

7. oj

oj

And the differential is centered in the car.

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

And why do we need this piece of information?

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

POST #2--NONE, Nada, Zip, etc....

10. realsteel34

realsteel34

That measurement will be dependant upon the R/P gear ratio.

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yep....

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is the case on some later model rear differentials that are offered with a wide range of gear ratios, for example some 10/12 bolt GM rears (2.28 to 4.xx), that require a different carrier either above are below a certain ratio. That is due to offsetting the ring gear to accommodate the larger, or smaller pinion diameter required with certain ratios.

It is not necessarily true for others, banjo Ford axles for instance, as the range of ratios offered were closer (3.54 to 4.10), and any change required in the pinion diameter and/or ring gear thickness could be accommodated without changing the centerlines of the pinion and ring gear.

Ray

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  14. Andy

Andy

Is the OP looking for a vertical or horizontal dimension? I would sure like to know what in the world he is trying to figure out.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well the posters are trying to help, I can't think of anything that hasn't been hit on...

16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I think a sketch from the OP is in order. My guess is that the question has been answered but maybe the translation is garbled.

oj likes this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yep.

18. realsteel34

realsteel34

Uh-huh...The larger pinion diameter will require a thinner ring gear and since the OP wants a measurement of centerlines between the r/p? It will depend upon the ratio. The end.

19. Andy

Andy

The ring gear in a early ford rear is part of the carrier. You do not bolt a ring gear on. It is made intergal with the carrier bearing stub. The ring gear teeth are angled depending on the ratio so the centerline of the teeth is on the centerline of the pinion. There is a set outside diameter of the pinion. All are the same. I must go thru the hole for the bearing sleeve.

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Andy, I think your first post was probably what the OP was looking for. It would be nice if he would confirm that, though.
    The rest of us are just pissing in the wind. Funny how he asked for a definite answer, no opinions, but won't clarify the question.

21. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink

This is the offset that I'm looking for.

I want the offset for:
    Early v8 rear end
    Model a ford rear end
    Ford 9 inch rear end
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1472031370.355114.jpg

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 9" info is about "Britanica" sized on the www. I know enough about gears to be dangerous, but in my days at GM "Chevy Gear and Axle" that dimension was what we checked as "V & H", vertical and horizontal dimensions. Usually checked if a gear cutter crashed and had a limit of .002 which could probably be lapped out if it was off by the max. I was in "soft roll", or gears before heat treat. Those more involved, feel free to correct my fuzzy memory , but I would call that dimension vertical centerline rather than offset.

23. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink

I'm not asking about v and h. V and h are the movement of the pattern and I want the offset for the center position of the pinion to the center position of the ring gear

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The Ford V8 and Model A are 0.00"

I don't have a clue about 9".

Rat Fink, what are you doing?

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford specs were tighter than that...call it 0.000!
    Depth of pinion into its supports is another issue requiring lots of work on modern rears...Ford designed the banjo for quick assembly and true interchangeability; after the pair of gears were matched and run in on the whattyacallit machine, pinion was machined to sit at proper depth controlled only by very close limits on banjo and bearing dimensions. Nothing to adjust, just screwittogether. (your mileage will vary with modern reproduction gears, which will need careful work to get all together)
    9" has very radial offset on pinion designed to get '50's cars closer to the ground...at the cost of power lost.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  26. don't you call it a "hypoid" gear when the pinion is lower than the center line of the ring gear? That was done so they could get lower floors in the cars. and becouse that made more sliding action on the teeth as they meshed they had to make the hypoid gear oil to use in them. the old style "Ford " gears were just bevel gears. correct me if I'm wrong.

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A 9" is 2-1/2", as near as I can measure.

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

So lets see if the OP is satisfied now..

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early v8 rear end: 0.000", pinion centered in chassis.
    Model a ford rear end: 0.000", pinion centered in chassis.
    Ford 9 inch rear end: -2.250", pinion offset 0.940" to the passenger side.

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not asking about the translation, it's the REAR END! :D BUT...all kidding aside, the Hypoid design was a revolution in design, lowering floors proportionately...
    Ted Halibrand assured longtime use of his design, as his 'layshaft' was 5" below Hypoid centerline.
    Look at Indy cars from 1946 to 1960...most used the Halibrand rear, taking advantage of that L-O-W driveline.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016