Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. I saw the picture you posted at San Fernando Raceway my Dad use to race there a lot

loudbang likes this.
  2. A gentleman by the name of Rick Wilson does car art. He knew my Dad back in the day. He is retired now a does car art for a hobby now I believe. He contacted me after my Dad passed away. He drew this art of my Dad driving his dragster at Lyons Drag Strip for free . I sent him pics of my Dad's dragster and here is the final picture it will be available on his website soon along with other vintage cars and race cars www.rickwilsoncustomcarart.com I don't know if my Dad would consider himself as a legend but it was what Rick thought he was to him [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  3. thehazguy

thehazguy

4. thehazguy

thehazguy

5. thehazguy

thehazguy

6. thehazguy

thehazguy

7. thehazguy

thehazguy

8. thehazguy

thehazguy

9. thehazguy

thehazguy

10. thehazguy

thehazguy

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

12. 296ardun

296ardun

1292104735_Brissette64-RogerLee.jpg
    The late Bill Alexander in Brissett's car, Fontana

assault.jpg
    Fitting the body to Mickey Thompson's "Attempt I," which ran several experimental Pontiac engines, Dragmaster frame

assault2.jpg
    Same car as above, March AFB, for world record acceleration trials

BurrisandHulett.jpg
    Burris and Huilett, from Texas

caddomills.jpg
    Very early Caddo Mills, TX

cooper.jpg
    only info is "Cooper"

corpus christi.jpg
    Buick powered, from Corpus Christi

d9ed55d600dba7ef383e636bb584572d.jpg

fireside.jpg
    Larry Dixon in the Fireside Inn fuel modified roadster

first-streamlined-dragster.jpg
    Dode Martin in his dragster, one of the first, next to the Bean Bandits, Santa Ana. The motorcycle guys often took top eliminator in these early days, until the dragsters came along. Dode would partner with Jim Nelson to form Dragmaster.

fontana-drag-city.jpg
    No ID on these two fuelers at Fontana...note the early version of the Christmas tree...this may have been more of a staging device, anyone? Dean? Mazooma? Hotroddon? (brobertson2 thinks the one on the right might be the Surfers, perhaps after they switched to Enderles from Hilborns, thus losing the distinctive scoop, the wing looks like the Surfer's wing, maybe racing Brisette at the Mickey Thompson 200mph meet...I always appreciate those who fill in information, thanks!)

fremont.jpg
    Fremont, can't tell who it is, maybe Jerry Ruth, or Berry Bros. and Hughes? (caption says Fremont, but it could be Bakersfield, as brobertson2 suggests)

fremontca65.jpg
    Only information is on the caption on the photo

FremontDragStrip-Mar64-Kodachrome16.jpg
    More Fremont...note the Dodge Charger cars in the background. I think that Dragmaster built these cars, Jimmy Nix campaigned one, Jim Johnson had one...blown Dodge wedges on gas. One, the backup car crashed, and after Chrysler backed out of the program, Charlie Allen bought one...rumor is that one survives.

Garlits Swamp Rat XIII - US Nationals Indy 1970-784859.gif
    Big at Indy

goleta1.jpg
    Goleta, the first drag strip ever...at the first meets, the promotors divided up cars into "stock" or "hot" and then hot coupes and hot roadsters....it has gotten a lot more complicated since then

greekgreenvalley.jpg
    Here is the Greek at Green Valley, TX with his version of the Fuller Magic-car.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  13. 296ardun

296ardun

Racing the Hollish Brothers Bantam panel-bodied CC for TE. The caption refers to the fact that Texas' Karol Miller normally ran a '56 Ford at Bonneville, was a very famous Ford power plant builder.

14. thehazguy

thehazguy

15. thehazguy

thehazguy

16. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Great pic of Buddy's "Little White Rabbit" Fiat showing the sparse facilities at early Caddo Mills.

Bowtie Coupe and 296ardun like this.
  17. When I ran at Fontana they had a traffic signal hanging over the track ahead of the starting line. Orange, green, go. Go too soon, red.

18. When burnouts were burnouts... image.jpeg

19. brobertson2

brobertson2

View attachment 3216123
    No ID on these two fuelers at Fontana...note the early version of the Christmas tree...this may have been more of a staging device, anyone? Dean? Mazooma? Hotroddon?

This looks like the Surfers, near lane, versus Brisette's car (I don't recall who was driving). This might have been at the MT 200 MPH meet.

View attachment 3216125
    Fremont, can't tell who it is, maybe Jerry Ruth, or Berry Bros. and Hughes?

The track looks like Bakersfield -- on a pretty nice early March afternoon.

thehazguy and 296ardun like this.
  20. thehazguy

thehazguy

21. thehazguy

thehazguy

22. those are some pretty pricey wheels on that trailer

23. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  24. This is Cliff Bell's blown Pontiac altered. It appears it ran gas. what track was this pic taken?

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  25. thehazguy

thehazguy

26. thehazguy

thehazguy

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

McMinnville,Or 1961, Jerry Brewer. Olds Power, featured in Hot Rod. Here's a shot from 1960 @ White City,Or. WC11.jpg

28. 296ardun

296ardun

1716271.jpg
    From George Klass: Greek vs Vance Hunt at San Gabriel. Greek on the left, still running his modified TE-440, J.L. Payne driving Vance's car, looks like Vance in the black hat at far right. I think that Garlits was the flagger that day, on an earlier run the Greek did such a wheelstand that Garlits said "I could have walked straight up under his car and changed the oil." Now that's a wheelstand!

Great%20Bend%20Roadsters%20in%201955.%20Photo%20by%20Pete%20Garramone.jpg
    Caption is "Great Bend," probably the '55 Nationals, Dave Marquez roadster at top, running a fuel Ardun and Duncan & Shores street roadster with a GMC 6. This roadster, as Dean Lowe has indicated in an early post, still exists in street form, running a V-6.

GreenMonsterJetVsBlownFED.jpg
    These match races got pretty common in the early '60s, here the Green Monster takes on an unidentified fueler at MoKan...maybe Bob Sullivan?

hrdp_9810_01_o+southern_california_top_fuel_movement+the_surfers_top_fuel_dragster.jpg
    Surfers, looks like Pomona but too much smoke to tell for sure (Roo pointed out the snack bar in the smoke, this would make it Irwindale...thanks!)

hrdp-1112-06-o+60-61-lion-drag-strip+mickey-thompson-twin-engine-four-wheel-drive-car.jpg
    Mickey Thompson experimental twin Pontiac at Lions...around '60 or '61. Yes, most of us back then wore our hair like that...

island dragway.jpg
    Garlits vs Kalitta at Island Dragway

johansen-and-ward.jpg
    Howard Cam Special, Glenn Ward driving

KentzMuffler.jpg
    Kenz Muffler at Lions...this car may still be around...not many Jr. fuelers ran a full body

Klass1.jpg
    Another just posted by George Klass: Wayne Ferguson's "Satisfaction" gas modified roadster at Pomona

larrypatdixon.jpg
    Larry & Pat Dixon's SPE car in the lights at Irwindale..

lions7.jpg
    Can't read the name...Lions

lions34.jpg
    Blown Olds, don't know who...not a lot of guys ran Olds in the fuel ranks, blocks would give up under the strain of a heavy nitro load

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  29. 296ardun

296ardun

One of the fathers of organized drag racing, Creighton Hunter in his roadster at Santa Ana. Creighton was the money guy and partner to C.J Hart at Santa Ana. One story going around is that the eyeballs on the side of this car were the inspiration for Dean Moon's Mooneyes logo....I think that this roadster has been restored, anyone else? (hazguy, like other on here, really appreciate your posts!)

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and thehazguy like this.