Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bringing my 39 back to life

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead Jason, May 8, 2016.

1. Looking good man! Just found your thread

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Good move on pulling the head!

I'm looking forward to seeing, and most of all hearing, a deep and beautiful rumble from those long straight big diameter thick walled pipes.

But sliding a union in, right after of the last bend aft of the manifolds, will make life easier.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Thanks man. Got my knob all fixed up to put back in this heap!! These things are bitchen! 1463235717444.jpg

4. In case you didn't already know @jimmygrrr Jimmy makes those cool ass knobs with the buffalo head skull nickels in them. Get one they are awesome!

5. I know you don't like that 39. I know it'd look better in my driveway!
    As mentioned in person, damn cool car!!!

6. I know you dont want your model a sedan either, put your sedan together and we can trade um out every couple weeks!!

7. Now that sounds like the start to a future business adventure

8. Didn't get the front clip off today... Spent all day getting the roadster ready for Jalopy Showdown next weekend. She was a dirty dirty girl...but she cleans up nice....

Attached Files:

32SEDAN, das858, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see you have the dreaded "mechanic's lean" on the top grill bars. They bend back easy enough, just take your time and gently bend em up. You mentioned new trim. Did that include all the grill pieces too? Very hard to find, in fact I never found the tops for mine (they actually go on the hood sides). I got some 1/2 round stainless from McMaster Carr, polished it up and bent it into shape. It's in my build thread. The only thing negative is it only comes in 1/4" or 1/2", nothing between. The original parts are 5/16 but I figure it's better to have smaller parts than none at all. I did find the 4 hood side trim pieces that go in the center of the side louvers just ahead of the cowl. Just a part of the stepchild status I guess...

Stogy, kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Yup. They were bent but I've already got them straightened out. I was very lucky to have all them trim. Plus some extras. I know I have all the grill and hood side trim and emblems. I'll look and see if I have any extra pieces of grill trim for ya. If I do I'll hook you up.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Not much getting done on the 39 this week other than cleaning up around it. I'll be back on it Sunday after I get back from jalopy showdown and start getting the front sheet metal off to pull motor and repair the front cross member and radiator mounts.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You rock brutha, and thank you. I'll do my best to keep up with what you're doing. I've figured out a good amount of things about this car but mine is a mix of stock power and details along with a stance adjustment and updated electrics...for now.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My big brother's first cat was a '39 Standard coupe. Mine was a '38 DeLuxe. I wish I knew where they are now. :(

14. After spending the weekend heading to Jalopy Showdown and spending most of Sunday drying out from it, didn't get much done on the 39. Most of the front clip has been removed for access to the motor. Due to the way the exhaust is done on this thing I cannot get the center 2 exhaust manifold bolts out of the head. So I will be pulling the motor out with the manifolds and some of the "custom" pipes still attached. This may be the beginning of the end for these pipes as im gonna have to get the saws-all out and cut them since they are threaded together and seized up pretty good...aluminum pipe and cast iron bends don't like each other. Ill get some pics up tonight, but the motor is coming out and them all the front suspension and front cross member. just incase there is an issue with the heads with the stuck valve I already have another set to throw on the 283 to get it running. Updates coming soon!

15. Big thanks goes out to Curt @hotrodder312 for hooking me up with some radiator brackets to replace the butchered up ones in the 39. Thanks Curt! Just what I needed! 20160523_200332.jpg

16. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Nice car.
    I think that exhaust is pretty well done for pipe. Think its pretty cool. Maybe get it chromed and you'll like it better!

17. It is well done for threaded pipe exhaust!! the problem is once it leaves the engine compartment it starts hitting everything it rubs both back tires pretty hard and will probly hit the axle and the rear spring with every other bump....we shall see but it wont make it in the final configuration of this car. But I wont be throwing it away

18. Even with the long weekend I still didn't get back on the 39. Spent Sat working on dads Nomad and yesterday and today getting ready to swap motors in my 51 Chevy daily driver. Weather permitting I should have the motor out of the 39 this week after work. Here is the new motor for the 51. 20160530_191719.jpg

19. After work, kids, blowing up my daily and every thing else that gets in the way....I finally got back on the 39. Got the front clip pulled off and gonna shoot to pull the motor out after dinner. Now you can really see the crazy exhaust and butchered cross member. 20160612_175044.jpg 20160612_175136.jpg 20160612_175114.jpg 20160612_175124.jpg 20160612_175232.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Stogy, kiwijeff, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  20. And as if if I don't have enough to work on....let's build a speedster for TROG next year.... 20160612_181748.jpg

Baumi, scott27, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  21. One more cause I thought it was a cool shot... 20160612_175909.jpg

22. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Exhaust dumps, plumber style. LOL P5020405.JPG

23. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Hey was wondering about your stuck valve... still stuck?
    Maybe you can put a cordless drill on the end of the valve stem and spin it to see if it helps. Just a thought.

24. no it wouldn't free up....so because of that I'm pulling the motor and going to go through it real quick. I'll also be able to repair the front cross member and firewall, as well as paint the frame and clean everything real good. Plus the motor mounts that the made back in the day are pretty sketchy so those need to be reworked also.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Well after most of the summer working on things other than what I want to and work and kids and vacation and yard work, I finally got some time back on the 39. Gathered up some parts to. Motor looks good and will be able to be resealed and put right back in after I have the heads cleaned up real quick at the machine shop. got a new clutch and all the brake stuff to rebuild everylthing so I can go through all that too. Pics coming soon, at this point I need to start looking at getting some glass so I can actually see out of the doors get to wiring it up once the motor is back in.

AV8 Dave likes this.
  26. Progrees has been slow but got the motor out and im pulling the front crossmember out today. I was told it had a hurst adapter on it but not so sure now as it has some type of aluminum adapter that bolts to a 56 to 61 corvette powerglide adapter. Lots of clean up work to do and then the firewall needs some repair. Here are pics of the current progress. 20160917_122401.jpg 20160917_122411.jpg 20160917_122448.jpg 20160917_122513.jpg 1474131405419.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  27. I havent found any numbers or markings on the aluminum adapter yet gonna powerwash it and look again. The only one that I have found online that looks like this one is an old speed gems one. If anyone can id it let me know.

28. It helps to put the picture up! 20160917_154926.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Did a 39 Standard 2dr back when a "Smoothie" was the big rage. No trim, bumpers, handles, door hinges, or anything that stuck out on the body. Gave it to my nephew when he turned 16; he's now 40 and still has it. Has a 4.3, 700R4, and 8" rear. Lost fan which destroyed radiator and that is the only time it's been down in 25 years. If you need an ash tray I have had one sitting on my bench for the last 25 years. Mike\'s 39 002.jpg Mike\'s 39 003.jpg Mike\'s 39 005.jpg

32SEDAN and Nailhead Jason like this.