Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I find floor conversion shifter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nightfire, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Nightfire

Nightfire
    from Canada

I have a 1950 Dodge (fargo) pick up truck. It's got the original crashbox with the 3 on the tree. The 3-on-tree isnt all that bad, just gets jammed a lot of times and with all the years of abuse has become very finicky. Is there any company that makes floor conversion kits? I dont suppose Chev or Ford would fit. Anyone know of a company that makes a 3-by-the-knee conversion for my truck?

thanks,

Mike

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I'm not familiar with the type of three speed in a '50 Dodge. If it is the conventional type with two shift arms, it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt any one of the countless Hurst three speed units floating around out there. If it is the "selector" type, with one shift arm and one small "selector key", it will be more difficult to find a shifter that will work.

3. Nightfire

Nightfire
    from Canada

I wouldnt know what type it is. I'm a total newbie at this. I've never done this before:confused: figured maybe somebody knew a company that offered a kit????

Mike

4. mopar steve

mopar steve
    from s.w.va

this is easy go to autozone or your local equivalent and get a hurst indy shifter they make em for cars and trucks I think the only difference is the truck shifter handle is longer:D .anyway its a kit comes with everything you need cept the hole in the floor:eek: take you time and measure b4 you cut.this is one of the few things I read the instructions on ...happy shiftin

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The fact remains, if it's a selector transmission, a conventional shifter will do you no good. 1939-56 Dodge and Plymouth cars used a selector gearbox, so crawl under the truck and find out if it does too.