Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for Additional Info or Photos A/Comp 48 Anglia Miss Twist

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MissTwist, Dec 24, 2015.

1. MissTwist

MissTwist

I'm building a recreation of "Miss Twist" a 48 Anglia my dad built in '59 with Ed Kowalski owner of Reading, PA's Ed Kowalski Speed Shop. I'm using as many era correct parts as used back in '59. This is the only photo known to exist and is from 1960 loaded and ready to head from Reading, PA to Detroit for the Nationals. It ran at Detroit Nats in '60 and possibly Maple Grove in Reading and Lancaster/York. If anyone out there has any photos of this Anglia from that era or other info I would love to hear from you. E.J. Kowalski, Ed's son, is still in Reading building some of the coolest period stuff out there. Thanks EJ for the info you've shared already! I'm in the parts collection phase and should be building as soon as a bay opens up in my shop. Can't wait to update everyone on the progress. Thanks a bunch - Dan
    Anglia.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  2. good luck with the build and search for info !

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. MissTwist

MissTwist

Quick update on my quest to find more info on the Anglia. I found a photo on ebay of the "Blooper" dragster shown in front of the Anglia with the blown 283. The photo from ebay however is from late '59 early '60 showing a triple deuce 283. This engine became a spare after the blown engine was built for the 1960 season and was loaned to Ed by Karl Lippold owner of the "Blooper". Pretty cool I found a detailed shot of the engine to work from. Looks like a 3x2 Rochester set up is in my future! IMG_1658.JPG

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. MissTwist

MissTwist

All projects must start somewhere. Model A frame, 50 Pontiac rear diff/wheels and early Ford front wheels. These are the same parts my dad used in '59. Long way to go but super excited to get this build done! IMG_1978.JPG

7. MissTwist

MissTwist

Way cool, period Rochester 2G triple deuce set up from Dicks Hot Rod Carbs - thanks a bunch Dick! Can't wait until these things are sucking air and squirting fuel! IMG_0998.JPG

8. MissTwist

MissTwist

Just scored a really cool Moon tank, pump and gauge set up - 30 minutes from my house!! IMG_2230.JPG

9. MissTwist

MissTwist

Funny how things work. My dad said they ran out of time preparing for Detroit in 1960 and couldn't get the front wheels painted gold like the back ones. Guess what the first thing I painted on the car was? IMG_2084.JPG

10. I'm curious why it would have run A/Comp? Seems like it should have been in an Altered Class.

11. And are those the headers sticking up inside the body? :eek:

12. MissTwist

MissTwist

I think the answer on the why it ran Comp class is in your question about the headers. :) The engine was moved back behind the firewall of the Anglia body and the headers go straight up through the roof! Certainly too far back to run Gas. Not sure about the class rules for Altered but I thought those rules also included wheelbase changes.

13. Many reasons why it wouldn't run Gas Classes - no fenders, lights, set back etc. :) But I would have thought it would fit in Altered in 1960. Just a thought. Looks like a fun project to recreate.

14. NORSON

NORSON

Back in '61-'62 we got an Anglia with the idea of building a gasser. After reading the rule book we discovered gassers had to be based on an american made car (this changed later). Thought it was neat to see car similar to our build. Ours had the rare three opening grill also. Rules at that time allowed for a 25% engine set back and crank no more than 24 inches off the ground. Comp cars have much more set back. Liked the altered class enough to build my avatar in '65.

15. MissTwist

MissTwist

Chassis work detail - 3" front cross member, boxing frame and removing center cross member for 283/Powerglide IMG_2556.JPG IMG_2558.JPG IMG_2562.JPG IMG_2565.JPG IMG_2567.JPG IMG_2573.JPG

16. MissTwist

MissTwist

Finally more updates on Miss Twist - 48 Anglia A/C car! (I've been sidetracked finishing my '71 C/10-R build). After seemingly no luck finding any additional photos of Miss Twist, there came a miracle. My dad had the only picture of the car (my avatar) on display at the Wheels of Time show in Macungie, PA. An older gentlemen by the name of Sandy Schaffer came up to him, saw the photo and proceeded to tell my dad he owned and drove the car back in the early to mid 60's! He also knew where the car was last! After a local search, we learned it had been hauled away for scrap only 5 years ago after rotting away since the early 70's in the last owners backyard. This brings me now to the realization that recreating the car is a must. Meeting Sandy allowed us to learn so much more about the car after Ed and my dad sold it. One of the amazing facts is Bob Eveland who was one the pioneers of drag racing at Maple Grove Raceway in Reading, PA owned and raced the car after reconfiguring it to run in Altered class. The car became quite competitive and Sandy won quite a few races in it at Maple Grove, York US 30 and Vargo. We were also able to get another photo of the car from Sandy shown in Altered class. What a great story and what a wonderful world of wheels!! Now back to the shop!!
    IMG_4375.JPG IMG_4379.jpg

swade41 likes this.