Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BEWARE!!! So-Cal Speed Shop 9" housings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M_S, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

For future reference if you are needing a housing check out a company called Quick Performance, they are in in Iowa. I found them a few years back and they build a really nice 9" housing to your specs with good axles and all for a really decent price. I've bought 4 housings from them and all have been top notch and dead on my specs I ordered.

34toddster and 30tudor like this.
  2. That part was out of warranty once you out cash on the barrelhead.

Did they give you a written warranty or even a verbal warranty when you picked the part up? That is the only way to actually verify if it is out of warranty or not.

3. Maybe they're right...

If it was on the back end of a 1968 Ford bronco rock crawler
    11755.520.390.jpeg

4. LOL that would be abuse not neglect. ;)

crminal likes this.
  5. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Like I said, it's not a warranty issue, it's negligence.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm confused , who was negligent ? You for not having the welds x-rayed & repaired on your dime ??? Makes no sense !!

dave

7. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

So-Cal

8. Still lot's of them around here. I have 5 or 6 nine inch rears at my shop. Anyone needing one pop me a PM 125.00 each.

9. It's not a "run of the mill" issue or problem, as I see it. At least I hope all these rear ends do not share your same crummy weld problem.
    In my many, many years, with GM, we often went beyond the parameters of the warranty limitations, when we saw a problem needing to be resolved P.D.Q.
    We sometimes overrode the warranty limitations, for customer goodwill, if nothing else.
    We made that type of a decision, knowing we (dealer) could possibly pay for the repair ourselves, if GM decided not to agree or financially participate with our decision.

10. Nice of them to find a reason NOT to help. And reasons like that DON'T help their reputation.

11. oldolds

oldolds

Warranty limitations are something we have to worry about in this hobby. Lots of parts are warrantied 3 months, 6 months, even 1 year. The problem it takes more than 1 year to put together a ride on the limited funds and part time labor most of us can give a car. That being said many times we make a call and explain the situation. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This time it didn't. It may have not been the popular decision on So-Cals part. But that's the decision they made. It would have been nice if they would have even offered a good will discount or free shipping

12. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

I just bought a So-Cal 9" housing set up for Model A on 32 frame two weeks ago. I looked at shortening one versus buying like I did. I just could not justify buying a jig or having the machine work done to build a jig to use to shorten and weld on the brackets. If I were shortening and welding brackets on a bunch of these then I may have went with build it myself. The wife works at an oilfield welding shop and is checking with the welding inspector tomorrow to see about X-raying the welds which is Greek to me as I am in the medical field not the oilfield.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  13. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

By "Reading" this weld: you will see 2 things right away. 1-The joint was not properly setup and probably had no bevel preparation in the root and 2- either this was welded with the wrong process or welding parameters (meaning either too cold or too hot-both which are detrimental)

62hotcat likes this.
  14. You know that's a lap weld, right.
    What is the proper bevel preparation for a lap weld? Exactly what is the proper set up for a lap weld?

15. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Technically, I would call it a lap weld on an improperly prepared butt joint.
    Would YOU not add bevel preparation to a lap welded butt joint that includes heavy wall tube and center housing while using a light penetration weld process?
    Or, you could open up the joint in order to try to get proper penetration with the process used. Either way, the weld is laying right on top of the material without proper penetration.

16. Fordyman

Fordyman

Certainly an unfortunate situation. As a promotional opportunity, John's Industries would be willing to help you out with repair or replacement of this unit.......No charge...no strings.
    Please feel free to check our website for contact information:
    www.johnsindustries.com
    John
    John's Industries
    (800) 332-3450 Ext. 108
    I saw this problem you have posted and told my friend, John, about it.
    I am posting his response above..........
    Fordyman

17. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Wow! Now that's a stand up Guy!!! ^^^^^^

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

WOW! That is some offer. I guess I will be calling them for my next 9" rear end.

19. GOOD for John's Industries, that's a stand up Guy that would offer to fix something that wasn't his fault to being with. I will buy my next rear end from John's.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Wow! That's how you take care of your customers...or just get a new one. After reading this I will definitely be getting anything I need 9 inch related from Johns Industries! I wouldn't be surprised if the shop the O.P works at starts selling Johns 9 inches as well. See good business helps all involved. Helps the OP with his axle and gets John's more business just for being a stand up guy and taking care of someone else in the car hobby.

21. Now here is a guy, John, who is going way beyond what is necessary to assist another.
    Cheers to you, John.
    John will certainly be on my cell phone list, when it comes time to buy.

5window and loudbang like this.
  22. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

It's easier to see in person, but there is clean unwelded bevel on the left side of the weld. Too cold or too hot I don't know, I was assuming too cold/no penetration, but the weld is definitely not on the center of the seam.

Once it is out of the car I will take better pics.

62hotcat likes this.
  23. We have dealt with John's and they are a first class operation.

24. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Fordyman pm'd me about this and it is extremely kind and generous. This is the type of shop owner you should be sending your business to.

We have already started the process of getting a new housing, however. Again, I'm struck speechless by the offer.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Good price.

Next time I need a housing I'll drop you a note.

26. 62hotcat

62hotcat

Hard to see in pic but it does look like weld is on housing and little or no overlap onto axle tube.

27. amadeus

amadeus

I have purchased 9'' housings from John's Industries in the past, ALWAYS top notch work, quick turn around time, and customer Service. (Even though a popular rear end supplier is within driving distance from my home) I will be contacting John's for a rear end when I'm ready to start on my 36 Coupe

loudbang likes this.
  28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Been buying my housings, axles and center sections from Johns for the past 10 years. Never a major problem to date and the minor ones were addressed quickly. I was a Currie dealer for over 10 years before going to Johns.

loudbang likes this.
  29. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Pictures will be interesting to see exactly how this weld failed and it will show all on the thread how improper joint and/or welding procedures can and will fail too. Looking forward to pics.

30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

While this does not excuse the breakage of this rear housing, I have often thought about the twists and pressures associated with a buggy spring/ladder bar rear?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.