Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac Straight Eight Lock Down Cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carmuts, May 7, 2016.

1. carmuts

carmuts

Thought I would share some pics of this Straight Eight lock down cap I found in one of my boxes of parts while moving things parts out of the buildings at the farm. I had forgot all about having it. This is the only one of these I can remember seeing so figure it is somewhat rare. Rod

Attached Files:

jnr49 likes this.
  2. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

ill have to go out and see if i have one on my straight 8 now

3. carmuts

carmuts

Up until this one that was in the large parts purchase from a now closed salvage yard I had never seen one for the straight 8. Never owned a straight 8 car, but nearly bought one while I was in highschool. It ran nice, but I backed out due to the sketchiness on 40 year old wiring. Looked like a fire waiting to happen. I did not know at that time that several companies sell accurate high quality wiring harnesses for a variety of cars. I did not want to tackle making my own with the knowledge and skills at that time. Rod

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Where did you come up with "lockdown cap" as a name for the item ? It's a valve adjusting tool, used to tell which cylinder is TDC when setting clearance.

Dapostman likes this.

5. carmuts

carmuts

Looked like a lockdown cap to me. Thanks for the clarification. Makes more sense based on the parts lot it came from. Rod

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

So, just what IS a lockdown cap ... I'm old & haven't seen one yet ...

7. Gofannon

Gofannon

8. Gofannon

Gofannon

By the way Carmuts, that is a cool piece. It'd be easy to get lost on a straight 8 doing the valve clearances.