Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Moving to Houston

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingfishhotrods, May 12, 2016.

1. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

Hey Folks
    There is a very good possibility that I will be moving to Houston. Just wanted to ask around and get the low down on the car scene and possibly what part of town we should be looking into. I will be working in the down town area.

Thanks Ya'll
    Kingfish

2. LongT

LongT

Out of the flood plain! My old boss just moved there and that was high on her list of where to buy.

3. Houston has a very good hotrod scene! We have a few great shows and swapmeets (Burnout, Lonestar Deluxe, conroe swap, etc.) also a ton of clubs running around too. The summers, road construction, and traffic blow but I wouldnt live anywhere else.

Ive lived on the North West side all my life (Cypress) its a good area to start if youre looking for a home. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

*side note* maybe i should go into realty or become a car salesman lol

kingfishhotrods likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hey...Dean Martin was always goin' back there.

Stay away from McCarty St.

5. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

I'm here, slowly trying to get back into the car scene - been out of it since soon after Prince's (the real one) closed.
    As mentioned above, don't live in the flood plain - with all the development in recent years, it's gotten a lot worse!

Eli

6. aaggie

aaggie

I've lived here most of my 72 years and other than being a little warm and humid in the Summer it is a great place to live. You might consider one of the North side suburbs like Porter or Kingwood that are across the county line in Montgomery County. About a 20 minute commute to downtown and a little more laid back and not known to flood during big rains.
    The big swap meet in Conroe is this weekend and there are lots of car shows and activities. Houston Raceway Park is a large facility that has Drag Strip, circle track and Motorcross tracks all in one place. Good Guys is twice a year in Fort Worth about four hours drive North.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First, use this:

http://www.harriscountyfemt.org/

Then, check this:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/top-neighborhoods-for-crime-in-houston_20151124021552369

Then, this:

https://k12.niche.com/rankings/public-school-districts/best-overall/m/houston-metro-area/

After you've found a dry, safe area, check the HAMBer's for what's going on car wise. In my opinion, the car scene in Houston is okay, but for a city it's size, it could be a lot better. You'll also notice a lot of people say they live in Houston, but they don't. They live AROUND Houston. Jersey Village, Kingwood, The Woodlands, Cypress.... they call Houston home, but phyiscaly don't live IN Houston. So, check the maps and decide if you want to live IN or AROUND. There is a difference.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

What part of town to look for?

The part that is real far from Houston!

9. DingDang

DingDang

We like it up here in Magnolia. Kinda pricey but you can still get homes with enough land for a shop. Best thing is that we aren't in the woodlands, but can enjoy it when we want to.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

We like your kind.:D