Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Body Shop Rates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattilac, May 9, 2016.

1. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Looks like they are doing a very nice job, it's unfortunate the budget went over expected but I doubt you'll be disappointed with the finished truck. I'd like to see it finished bet it's the finest out there, enjoy it.

2. the violator

the violator

The quality looks top notch . As others have already stated its a ridiculous amount of labor to get those kind of results inside/outside and underneath. Ever get all your money out of it? NO! Enjoy it for the rest of your life Hell Yes!! I get annoyed when people are only worried about how much they can sell a vehicle for, not how much fun it is to own and drive!!!! Its gonna be great truck. ENJOY IT

3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Hell, the resto shop I worked at 20 years ago charged 20k for a driver paint job and 80k for a concourse paint job. So going by that, he's doing alright. A of the customers we had at the shop had no idea of reality and thought if you spent less than 40k on paint you took it to Maaco.

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't know about y'all but I wouldn't drive a car with a 50K paint job. Rock chips are a fact of life on a driven car.

Gary

5. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

I hope it turns out nice. It does look good so far. The shop looks fairly organized.

Somebody has to stimulate the economy!

I never knew that $40k paint jobs were traditional, but that's why I stick around this place, you learn something new all the time.

6. lets make this clear. it is not $40k for a paint job. it's $40k to erase 50 years of use and weathering, multiple priming jobs inside and out, multiple sanding jobs inside and out, fitting and fitting some more, multiple welding and straightening jobs, multiple painting jobs inside and out and top and bottom, multiple assembly jobs inside and out, gaskets sealer, glass, trim, bumpers all these parts kept under a roof and organized. the project needs to be, managed and choreographed, multiple covering, taping protecting with lots of cleaning in between.
    man i hate when someone says " hey who painted that?" paint? the question should be; "who prepped that"

7. 5window

5window

Good enough. Good luck.

8. the violator

the violator

Hes getting AND asked for way more than a paint job. No visible welds underneath etc. etc.

9. Sinister Sleds

Sinister Sleds
    from Gloucester

I'm not going to say you are getting ripped off as it is hard to tell from just pics. Looks like they are doing a good job.

Most shops in MA are in the 50-85$ hourly man hr rate. I usually would figure that the body exterior body should take between 150-250 hrs once metal work is completed (epoxy,flatwork,seal, spray polly, 1-2 blocking sessions) undersides of the bed and cab would be additional.
    I would live to find some good customers who understand the process and have the funds. Sadly there seem to be very few in MA.

Just completed these cars at 50$ hr

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think there is about 500 +- hrs in the P1800 including metal work imcluding replace right 1/4 and sail panel, fabricate the fronts of both 1/4s, bottoms of both fenders, modify both lower rear 1/4s fabricate aluminum hood and deck lids as highlights.

The other one is a chrysler 300 and is about 200hrs for paint but also include some custom touches.

Honest body men are not getting rich off you. I have been at it for nearly 30 years and am currently evaluating weather I will continue to do it. Can make more as a town worker with pension and benefits.

What I tell every one who is looking to have this work done is check in periodically on your project. If at some point you are not happy for whatever reason then get a second evaluation from a friend etc. If you continue to be unhappy pay the bill pull the project and find another shop.

Good luck with the truck and enjoy it when its done.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Kan Kustom and 62hotcat like this.
  10. I am just surprised that the shop would not give you an estimate. If I read it right you brought them a blasted body, so there would be no hidden damage to contend with. When I build this one, we blasted the body and did the lead work before getting the painter to quote it. We explained exactly what we wanted for our customer, and he delivered what was expected, or more. The paint shop did all the straightening, blocking etc. (we filled the seams, the stake pockets, cowl etc.) It was a really nice job, well under that $50,000 and was good enough to win at the Grand National and get a full feature in Sport truck. I'm not saying you aren't getting your money's worth, jsut that I would Never go open ended time and material with the paint shops. We would Never deal with a painter that couldn't give us a quote when it came to body and paint, and we always blasted the body first so there were no surprises. And we had at least 4 shops that worked with us this way.
    One 40 Ford turned out to be so bad after blasting, that after discussing it with the painter, we sold that body and bought another one - the customer could see why and everyone was good with what had to be done.
    Owens,S-B46-533.jpg

abe lugo and Mattilac like this.
  11. Mattilac

Mattilac

Wish we could have connected when I was hunting for a shop, Sinister Sleds!

Sinister Sleds likes this.
  12. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

$40k?? I hope that was a typo

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. Love that P1800!

Sinister Sleds likes this.
  14. trollst

trollst

Interesting reading....lets get away from the paint thing, a few of us here build from the ground up, never think of what it would cost if we couldn't do the work ourselves. We trade goods and labour to get things done, again, no cost other than sweat, BUT, when I do work for a guy, I make him understand that not only is he paying for the job, he's paying for the years spent learning shit he doesn't know, he's paying for the use of tools and supplies he don't have, and I don't work for free, neither does he. Never been screwed, I make it pretty plain up front, that usually makes for a good starting relationship. At times, I've even had my guy come help, just to see how long and how much work he gets for his money.

blackout78666 and Bugguts like this.
  15. Mattilac

Mattilac

I wish it were. It'll be $50k by the time I'm out of there.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  16. 5window

5window

If you're thinking 50, 60 is probably closer. I do hope you'll enjoy your ride-I'd have to think twice-or maybe three times.

17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I hope you enjoy your truck for a long time, not my taste but also not my money. As was stated above I would
    notice your truck going down the road, the new 60K pickup would not get a second glance. I would love to be able to spend the dollars you are on my ride, but would then be afraid to drive it. My hat is off to you for doing
    a vehicle so nice and being willing and able to do it to that level of finish.

18. Mattilac

Mattilac

Plan is to maintain and daily it actually.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

before you hit the road with it you better get a professional value estimate done and then get full coverage classic car insurance - insurance company not likely to cover daily use

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  20. Mattilac

Mattilac

Great idea, thanks.

21. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Specify agreed value on the policy after your appraisal is in hand.

22. Come on down to Santa Clara County, it's only $90 to $110 down here...:D

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People who are not here have no concept....

24. 5window

5window

It is really interesting to note the themes in this thread. One is whether or not the OP is getting his money's worth in this build (the majority seem to feel that he is). Another is whether the respondent would spend that much money on a similar vehicle (the majority seem to fell they would not). Finally, there seems to be a generally grumbliness by body shop guys that no one knows appreciates their skills and undervalue their work.

Maybe, but like lots of other professions, a large part of the rate is the cost of doing business in your location. A metal magician will need to charge a lot more in San Francisco than if he was in our area of semi-rural PA. Demand, taxes, overhead, rental, EPA,etc will all factor in. I could make probably 3+ times as much money in my profession on Long Island than I do living where I do. But my costs would be higher, the stresses of living would be higher, and I couldn't begin to have the lifestyle I do even at 3 times the money. So for me, I am happy where I am. There's no point in getting angry at those of us who aren't there and so don't appreciate your pain.

25. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I wish I was painting your truck. 50K is crazy.
    I think you should have been able to negotiate on contract for the bodywork separate from the paint work. Each with their own full price. And if it was more work than estimated they stop and call you to renegotiate.
    I think its a ripoff.
    Normal would be 2-3K bodywork and 3-5K paint work!
    Metal work would be completely separate...
    So its sad to hear shops charging that much now with no estimates.
    The ONLY paintwork that I have ever heard of in the 10-20K range would be for a custom or lowrider gangster paint job. And that would be charged by one of the GREATS in that style. Not by some regular (good) shop.
    I hope its the best paintwork you have ever seen and its loaded with perfectly executed candy paint and/or striping work or airbrushing for that price.
    WOW. I will have to get back in the painting game if that's whats being charged!

26. redo32

redo32

Hey Black Clover, for another opinion from Eugene, it is reported that our most famous shop in west Eugene charged $120,000 to paint a Mercedes. Not build or assemble, just body and paint. Another shop owner is building his own '46 coupe and is approaching 3,000 hours. He paid $7000 just for paint, not primer, not bondo or tape, just color. He likes the best parts, if it was a customers car the bill would approach $300,000. Most of the quality shops around here quote a bare metal up paint at $15,000 -$20,000. Metal work and parts extra. I don't know of any long time successful shop owner that will do a classic on a set bid except Maaco. I know several guys that did their own prep and got decent paint jobs there.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  27. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Well I think its going to be a cool truck, I will never have that kind of resourses so my opinion is not very valid. I think it looks real nice in the original white ,but thats just me . Best of luck.

28. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yeah its just getting crazy in my opinion. I had my own shop and know the cost of paint but it just seems that shops now are saying that the cost is too high for them so customers should pay for it by the man hour plus the material. Cool for them but when I grew up good paint work was done by people who wanted to be the best painter and doing it garages. But whatever.
    OP is getting a nice job done.
    My biggest bill for a couple customers on restoration from bare metal was 6k and 4k.
    One was a bmw 2002 and the other an MG and they were stoked.
    Paint for each was about 1k.
    Took me 2 wks for each.
    I guess I'm fast and I was charging minimum wage :)
    I will always be a backyard painter I guess.

29. redo32

redo32

That's the problem with being old and on Social Security........... you lose touch with inflation and the price guys are willing to pay to build their dreams. I guess I've always been thrifty. I've driven primered hot rods for 35 years. We've always said a good hot rod will cost you the price of a new pickup and now that's $60-8oK.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  30. Gman0046

Gman0046

The good news is you don't have to have shiny paint to have fun. There's lots to be said about primered cars.

Gary