Register now to get rid of these ads!

An HA/GR (& other classes) Place for Discussion

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 64 DODGE 440, Dec 1, 2014.

1. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Since there aren't any SDRA style cars in my area I might build a frame like this Chassis Research copy and put my driveline in it. Not before next fall though.

3. Bobw, I would like to see that!

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Here's what Dimitri did for their Fenn style cage in response to NHRA's whining. Haven't had any rejections over it yet.

Fenn (2).jpg

Daniel Clark likes this.
  5. old sparks

old sparks

I`m in the same boat as bobw. No one to class race within 400 miles, my own fault. I also have been thinking about a slingshot. Good way to go quicker with my existing powertrain. Love the K88 style but don`t want to fight tech every time I go to the track. Slingshots have been around since 1955 so I don`t think I would be considered a traitor. Besides, who`s gonna bitch.

Daniel Clark likes this.
  6. bobw

bobw

Thanks Dick, I've been collecting pics of Fenn-Style chassis that have roll cage modifications in order to pass tech. My main concern is with the laid back seat I might no be able to get out of the thing.
    I bought a 180 degree die for my (borrowed) tubing bender so I can make that signature "Fenn Bend".

7. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

I like the rabbit ear car idea bobw!!!!

old6rodder, did he get the chassis certified wth the modifications? How much grief did tech give him after the modifications?

8. bobw

bobw

Daniel, it's flathead powered so I don't think he is going quicker than 10.00. Slower than 10.00 does not need to be certified. It's up to the tech inspector to "like" the roll cage configuration. Anything that doesn't look like the rule book diagrams is suspect. So a car could get okay'ed at one drag strip and not at another.
    [​IMG]
    Here's another attempt at "making it legal". He has a vertical down tube on the front hoop. Probably should have one on the second hoop too. And helmet bars. With all that you tend to lose the original style. But at least the chances of getting killed in it are reduced. My car should run in the high-mid 11 second range and that should influence the inspectors to go easy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Daniel Clark likes this.
  9. old sparks

old sparks

Getting a car certed , even sportsman , can be a pain in the butt. Sportsman is every 2 years and pro is every year.Even then you are at the mercy of the inspector which no one wants to hear my opinion of. My take is the combos we use are not going to put us in the 9`s so we are only at the mercy of track tech. which can be bad enough. If you build a car that impresses the inspector and you have all the safety gear current , there won`t be a problem. My home track tech doesn`t even look at the car except the belt date. Either that or it`s so ugly it`s unforgettable. Word at he track is you don`t need a physical to get a 7.50 ticket but you still need the chassis cert. Won`t be long before you need all that to run 12`s . New rules always coming out get ready to spend

10. Got a question for you guys,
    I've been looking at pics of some of the different builds and have noticed it looks like some are running vent lines on their fuel tanks and some not.So who is and who doesen't ? Does it make a difference?

11. old sparks

old sparks

Rules state that you must have a vent installed in such a manner that prevents fuel spill in the event of a roll over. That can be a check valve or in my case a tube entering the top of the tank run to the bottom of the tank making a 90 back up about 1 inch from the top letting the tank vent but not letting it drain in case of a rollover. The commercial check valves are expensive

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Ours is a simple double loop off the top of the tank. the concept being that you'd have to roll/flip several times to allow any out the tube end, and even then it'd be minuscule.
    Eight years, and haven't had a tech down check it yet.

13. Old28

Old28

Last time I checked to get a Chassis Cert all the owner needed was to be a NHRA member and a hand full of cash,

To get a 9.99 and quicker Competition Drivers Lic you need a full physical & EKG if over 60 years old and more cash.

As for the fuel vent, I ran the same setup as old6 with no tech problems.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

NHRA just streamlined their cert / licensing proceedures, making it easier to compete.

I don't know. Maybe its just me, but I think the older Fenn type chasses with a later attempt at glomming on an overhead roll cage look hideous. And they would not pass an NHRA cert without complete down tubes at each of the six points, not to mention vertical supports needed in the frame. Ask me how I know. My "Last Logghe" restoration now runs low tens, instead of mid-nines. Its just too much hassle for the few times I run that particular car at nostalgia / reunion events.

15. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

On my tank I had a an fitting installed at the top so I could run a line down past the bottom of the tank with a non vented cap.

16. I plan on running a line with a couple of loops in it,Thanks for the replies

17. Harry506

Harry506

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460522902.859153.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460522913.942294.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460522924.960200.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460522938.444941.jpg

The Outlaw Lives.....

18. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Say what?

19. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

I was just joking lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Harry506

Harry506

Got my first win last weekend in my $3200 race car...

21. bobw

bobw

Winning is good! You should win best appearing car too.

22. Harry506

Harry506

23. old sparks

old sparks

Went to Woodburn Oregon ( 14 hour tow) this weekend to run the oldies but goodies race. 17 inlines in the class ( inline / flathead ) . The facility and organization was hands down best I`ve seen. The people in the class were as nice as you can get. The entire facility was either paved or cut grass , you can`t get any better than that. With over 300 total car count, I still got in 8 passes. I would recommend this race and track to anyone

24. Old28

Old28

I new you would be impressed with Woodburn. :D Great track, great people and a track crew second to none. :)
    How did you run?:eek:

25. old sparks

old sparks

good to hear from you Tom. Quickest car was a hamb dragster at 11 flat , then Scott with a 11.24 and me with a 11.28. I pulled my usual and went out second round with an egg timer reaction. Still it was worth the total 28 hour drive just to meet the people and experience a fantastic track.

26. Old28

Old28

Well Dan we are done with the relocation and re-model. Nice being home in Camarillo were we lived for 25 years.
    The stroke has my left eye still screwed up and not sure it will ever be normal. Like bobw says, the golden years are a bit tarnished. Hay I am learning to live with it.:D

11.28 on your hot rod with the extra body weight and Scott with a 11.24 and a bare frame dragster got to make you feel good after a long tow like that. Real nice to know that after 8 years away from Woodburn the track and race group are the same as last time we ran our altered there. Real nice people.:)

If you run down in Bakersfield, let me know, would love to see you run.:eek:

Stay in touch buddy:cool:

27. bobw

bobw

Unfortunately I'm not going to dip into the 11's at the Meltdown Drags in a couple weeks. Yesterday morning I went to the dermatologist and had a divot about the size of a quarter taken out of my cheek. I went from there to the hospital where they put me to sleep and removed scar tissue and enlarged the passageway in my prostate. Now temporarily wearing a bag. I probably won't be healed sufficiently to get all my stuff ready for the Meltdown. How's that for tarnished Golden Years?

I'm looking for someone to run the dragster, with a for sale sign on it. Should get good exposure at the drags.

Tom, I'm glad you have settled in and have the house the way you want it. Keep the faith, buddy. You might be back yet

28. old sparks

old sparks

bobw, don`t give up yet. Even if it`s an occational test and tune. I`m 70 and am still able to force myself to go to the track , but once I`m in the car I get 20 years back

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That pretty well sums up the whole thing. I'm also 70, but some mornings feel 90, though once I get my ass in the seat the years melt away. As the saying goes, "you are only as old as you feel". Unfortunately sometimes those feelings can kick you in the back side.

30. millelacsrick

millelacsrick

Hi Bobw Sorry about your medical issues. Hang in there and get better. Please call me, MSRA #1780, maybe I can help you with the dragster.