Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mart

Mart

The hubcap is a dead ringer for the English Ford type from the early to mid 60s, but the car does not look like any of the English models that I can think of. I wondered about Taunus, but while I am not an expert, I can't see a Taunus like that either. The car looks a bit more "substantial" than any of the English Fords.

Got me stumped.

Mart.

Bomb likes this.
  2. The car is a 1957 or 1958 DeSoto Diplomat (export).

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Hakro, Bowtie Coupe and Bomb like this.
  3. So it's a "Plodge".
    [​IMG]

Trojan Horse, MikeCio1 and keef59 like this.
  4. I was"laid off", guess I'm retired now. Nobody wants to hire a guy that's 63!

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Feel'n your pain Gary.
    I can't even use the word retired because people assume that it means you are getting social security. Had cataract surgery the other day and while the surgeon was cutting into my eyeball he says "so what do you do", I said I'm retired.......kinda.
    Retired with no income.

dad-bud, hendelec and Gary Reynolds like this.
  6. For those not living on the East Coast and/or not aware of "South of The Border," it is a huge (300-400 acre) compound/attraction in South Carolina on I-95, just south of the North Carolina border. There are gas stations, restaurants, a motel, truck stop, amusement park, souvenir shops, and a 200ft observation tower in addition to the huge "South of the Border" sign. In essence, a great place to take a break while driving the crowded I-95 corridor. Along the road, there are billboards, in each direction, advertising the place with sayings that are akin to the old Burma Shave signs.

MikeCio1 and loudbang like this.
  7. Kind of surprised at the interest here!
    Kesey let the bus rot, for many years you could see it from the road at Kesey's place by Eugene. There were actually two buses, the second (I think) is "Further".
    It's a 1937 International. I believe the second was restored in 2014 and is actually on the road. Don't know any more details or who owns it.
    Here's a pic of it rotting.
    CAN YOU PASS THE ACID TEST?
    [​IMG]

8. har har.
    I THINK this fire is from some sort of HUGE explosion ( something on a truck) that destroyed several city blocks of Roseburg, Oregon.Too lazy to look up the deatails, I think in the early sixties? Maybe not!

The Arizona Old Crow likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. What do I know about buses!!
    I got it off Google, there were TWO buses though. I don't know which is which or which was restored.
    I DO love those old buses and trucks though!
    Thanks for the correction. Maybe somebody can fill this in.

11. Sorry, I spoke too soon and did not read through your whole post. THAT will teach me. Yes, the original was an Autocar.

12. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

I studied and studied and didn't wake up on until 5:30pm test day

13. Been posted a million times, but needs to be re posted TODAY! I love this picture, it SAYS IT ALL !

[​IMG]

14. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

^^^ I love that pic!!!...never get tired of gazing at it:D^^^

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  15. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I always thought it was just a big store that sold mostly fireworks. My Mom, Dad and younger brother stopped there on two trips one summer when my brother went to motorcycle mechanics school in Daytona. I didn't realize they had all the other stuff there, too. Or used to.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Yeah, it's massive. They probably have more stuff there than I cud remember to list. I already forgot about the fireworks.

loudbang likes this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gary
    This never get's old, actually I think it should be on automatic rotation.

verde742 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. I dig this early 60's, late 50's look!
    [​IMG]

19. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

20. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

21. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

22. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

23. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

24. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

25. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

26. BornBuick

BornBuick

…. yeah we too can still remember using our first Motorola 'Star Tac' cell phone like this lady and the guy in the background clearly shows. All this and with a period correct nailhead lowboy to boot. Boy
    car shows sure are getting authentic looking these days, shot in black and white here even the tow vehicles are classics !
    XHot_Rod_1.jpg .

27. BornBuick

BornBuick

… here we find old Fred and his pal Willis caught in the act while attempting another run at getting that fat Desoto hemi in that narrow truck frame. While the drama ensued, the boys were gracious enough to take a break and show us the quicky method of " shoe horning an engine". Fred is shown here actually demonstrating the proper foot positions needed in shoe horning. While shoe horning, it is a given that one never remove the radiator as this would most likely require a completely different time consuming approach altogether to get that engine in ...
    Shor Horning.jpg

loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. swi66

swi66

29. pontiac mall.jpg Pontiac Mall

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  30. Simpson Pontiac Dealership Wyandotte, 1940s
    Simpson Pontiac Dealership in Wyandotte, 1940s.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.