Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A engine height

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodsnwater, May 11, 2016.

1. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I bought a partially fabbed up model a frame that came with some home made motor mounts that let the 302 engine set pretty low. With a 1-1/2" spacer between the mounts to simulate a rubber biscuit motor mount cushion, the crank bolt is just above the front cross member, which is a 2" lowering cross member.
    With my 4" drop axle, this puts the oil pan pretty low, I'm guessing 6-7" when all the weight gets on the frame. Is there a rule of thumb on how high an engine should be or what? I'm flying blind here. Oh, I'm going to be running an electric fan so mechanical fan location isn't an issue. Thanks

2. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I all ways run SBF in all early Fords, and I all-ways have them sit low so I do not need to screw up a flat floor. I have thousands of street miles with the clearance that your talking. No problems yet..

3. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

4. I'm going to run the same, it's be great if you had some pics!

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would set the motor up high enough for a traditional mechanical fan.. You need to have the radiator in position and the body with firewall attached sitting on the frame or at least the firewall in place.. Who cares if you have a small hump, doesn't hurt a thing and mechanical fans look a whole lot better....

6. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I'll try for pics this weekend..

7. I also mounted my motor low in the frame so I could have a flat floor and while the fan is an issue having the flat floor has been a big plus.