Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedway 97 carbs... Opinions?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dad Was A Racer, May 9, 2016.

1. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone have first-hand experience with the repop 97 carbs that Speedway is producing? Since I don't see them identified otherwise, I'm assuming they're produced overseas (ie. China) so tell me if I'm wrong. The "do not use with ethanol fuels" warning worries me a bit, too. Am I better off with the current production Edlebrock 94's? Going on a 3x2 Offy intake on a 8BA flathead FYI.

2. Try the search function. Been discussed a lot over the years. And don't confuse the Speedway super 7 with the actual repro 97.

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not offering my opinion as I've expertise in this area.

Attached Files:

6. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's exactly the "informed opinion" I was looking for... I see that Mercury Charlie in Austin is listed as a dealer for the Strombergs. Is there a recommend dealer (maybe Alliance member) for these?

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

8. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure what the connection is between Mayor McCheese and the Stromberg 97 is, but I'll admit my ignorance.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Uncle Max is the Stromberg expert. He can rebuild originals, or sells and warrantys the real reproduction Strombergs. He is not a dealer for the Chinese Speedway carbs.

10. IronTrap

IronTrap

Going to be running a set of the 97 barn finds on my car. Can't wait to get them on, they look bitchin'!

Attached Files:

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I find the "do not use with ethanol fuels" to be very disturbing. We may not like the ethanol gas, but even if you live in an area where there are options how far can you get before you have to choose between using the stuff and walking? Something that can't run on the gas we must use could be considered BROKEN.

zzford likes this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sounds like standard issue CYA boilerplate, though.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So I looked at the comparison linked above and all I got out of it is that the speedway carb flows less, that someone has done a dyno test comparison but doesn't offer a link or anything of the findings .

The rest is just pointing out that it's not a 97 clone just a carb that basically looks like one, and has questionable quality.

So.... Anybody got a link to the dyno test?

14. Ditto..... Gotten 4 carbs over the past several years for stuff. He is the guy

15. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

They are like $400.00 each aren't they? I am running dual 94's on my 286 Flatty, I will have less than $200.00 in them after the rebuild kits.

16. Rancho55

Rancho55

Ok, as the first actual user of the 9super7's to post, I'd like to say how much of a good experience I've had with them! Pretty much bottled them on and went. Running a progressive linkage on a triple setup on a sbc. No trouble starting ever, excellent throttle response and great gas mileage, been running them for two years. Only prob I've had was a brass curl got stuck in the needle and swat and it jammed open. Would gladly shell out for another set.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We've torn one down and compared it to a real 97 as well as a Clive made 97. The Speedway carbs are Chinese made SHIT in every sense of the word. Honestly, it should be a crime to sell them...

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Read Ryans reply and educate yourself.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Took a minute but here is a direct link to the dyno test that's been mentioned several times but never actually linked

http://www.garagescene.co.uk/stuff/97.doc

It doesn't so much talk about power differences as much as how terrible the carbs are. The side by side comparison talks a lot about flaws and what could possibly happen and the dyno confirms those things. Take a look if you like

21. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Speedway = Harbor Freight for hot rodders

Dale Ferrell, oj and X38 like this.
  22. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Been running 2 Speedways 97 for 3 yrs no problems.Cranks first time and had no problems except when I changed jets the plugs gasket leaked but put 4 more on and no leak.Bad gasket to re use.I guess everyone has good and bad with everything

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You got lucky, but honestly... It's just a matter of time. If you take the carbs apart and just use your eyes, you won't need to see the before linked to dyno sheets. Everything about the carb is inferior. Everything about the carb speaks to cutting corners. Everything about the carb goes against what hot rodding is about (to me).

Seriously, if you are in the market for 97s, don't waste your time on the Speedway import crap.

http://www.luckys-speed-shop.com/Genuine_Stromberg_vs_Speedway_9-Super-7.pdf

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If a carburetor hasn't shown its mettle by surviving the Depression and WWII, let's say it was made last month and just got off the boat from China, how do you know whether it's tough enough to survive? This board is pretty much about Olde Stuff*, and that's why.

*With some tolerance for 5 speed transmissions and radios that get FM...

oj likes this.
  25. badvolvo

badvolvo

I have original 97's on one of my flatheads, and three speedway 9super7's on a small block. both have the same kind of issues, minor leaks. both work great for me. But cleaning out Dad's garage, i brought home 6- 97's and a few 94's. i will be building up the old 97's and putting them on my small block. To no fault of the 9super7's I just want that little 97 on the side. I am not concerned with the CFM, as the SB is a driver, It would be faster with a single 4 bbl. not too old school with that AC compressor anyway.

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would trust Ryans thoughts, These carbs Speedway started selling after I left Speedway I still buy some things from them but stay away from the Chinese stuff

27. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I don't think my flathead will do a dyno at least in HP but I just noted that I have had no trouble with my Speedway and what can you really buy that is not made in China or overseas.It is a day and time we live in.Not t0 get on that soap box.

28. Rod Father 1944

Rod Father 1944

Put 2 Speedway super 97's on my merc and tried for over 2 months to get it to run right. Sooty plugs, starvation, you name it. Finally sent the carbs back. They treated me well and sent back my money. I bought 2 new original 97's from Summit and never a problem. Runs like a bandit.

29. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Get two 94's and have Henry at Ole's carb shop in South SF rebuild them and be happy ! Or buy two new Edlebrock ones. Or U-Max etc Speedway okay for a small amount of stuff , my experience avoid if possible:(

30. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Courtesy discount on all Genuine Stromberg carbs and parts is extended to anyone reading this.
    I am also the U.S. warranty guy - what little there is - No questions asked; parts, labor and free, fast return shipping.