Register now to get rid of these ads!

So how much can you bore out a 292?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revhead, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I read somewhere that 292 yblocks can be bored out quite a bit. The reason I ask is that I have this 292 that was sick...puked sludge out of the spark plug hole once we got it to turn over. The cylinder walls are probably pretty nasty. So what's my limit? .060? more?

2. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

PM Deyomatic (Deyo) he knows a lot of usless info on that usless engine. [​IMG]

3. You can bore it out to the 312, maybe more. go google-ing, and type in Y block ford. There's a bunch of sites out there for them... I got real interested when I was gonna buy kartbreakers T, it has a Y block in it...

Jay

4. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

i remember my dad saying about when they raced them in the 70's..they would get all the 312 guys old pistons and bore the 292's to fit them...but i think they turned the pistons down a little first...rules were something like 30 over and 30 for wear ...so they went straight 60....

a guy i know has one of my dads old motors sitting around ...its they're cheater motor with big chevy valves and whatnot [​IMG]

im trying to get it

good luck
    zach

5. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

****My**** ****pops**** ****bird**** ****was**** ****bored**** .****60**** ****and**** ****he**** ****had**** ****no**** ****problems****. ****Said**** ****he**** ****could**** ****have**** ****gone**** ****more**** ****but**** ****the**** ****machinist**** ****wasn****'****t**** ****down****. ****By**** ****the**** ****way**** ****if**** ****you****'****re**** ****interested**** ****I**** ****might**** ****have**** ****a**** ****dual**** ****points**** ****distributer**** ****in**** ****my**** ****boxes**** ****of**** ****misc**** ****stuff****. ****Let**** ****me**** ****know****. -****J****

patrick english likes this.
  6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Any 292 will take .060 which is the biggest that easily available pistons are made.
    Pre 60 blocks can go 312 size + .060 but later blocks have thinner walls and need to be sonic tested.

My 292 HD came out of a 64 F600 and I went .060 with loads of wall remaining.

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

[ QUOTE ]

Pre 60 blocks can go 312 size + .060 .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sir, my '57 292 has .030" 312's in it right now. No problems. For some reason I think they were easier to find and even cheaper than trying to buy 292's with lotsa oversize (it's been a few years).

8. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Mine's a '58..SO I guess I can go pretty big on this thing. I'm not trying to make monster HP or have the biggest CID, just want to try and salvage the walls. Sounds like I might have a chance.

9. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

.30 over is only .15 from each side of the cyl wall. At that rate .30 over is only as thick as yer fingernail. Machinists don't like going over .60 because then you run into piston availability and with the newer blocks and their thinner walls, heating problems. I would check with a local machine shop first to find out what pistons are available to you before you start boring that block out. Most times, they will have 30, 40 and 60 sitting right there on the shelf and for a decent price.

10. Sean

Sean

I just had my 292 rebuilt. It's 70 over with 312 rings and pistons. Runs great. Here's a displacement chart from John Mummerts Y-Block site CLICK ME

Hope it helps.

11. marshallal

marshallal
    from amherst ny

SO THAN. CAN MY 1962, 292 BE SAFELY BORED 60 OVER TO A 301 DISPLACEMENT, WITH NO WALL PROBLEMS. IF NOT, HOW FAR CAN IT GO....MARSHALLAL

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Most engines from before 1960 were made to be rebuilt 2 or 3 times during their service life and can safely be bored 1/8" or .125. Some, like early Olds V8s can go a lot larger.

The first thin wall casting V8 was the Ford 221-260-289 V8 and they could only go .060. This became standard for most engines by the 70s. The Chev 400 small block came out in 1970 and could only be bored .030 which is practically nothing.

So those are the general rules, the older engine can be bored a lot farther than the newer ones, IF the block is not rusted and did not suffer too much core shift.

It is best to check with the experts on your particular motor or look up the factory specs in the repair manual.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google Ford y-block demension chart. Shows everything from a 239-312. The 312 had bigger rods so you could offset grind it for the 292 rod and more stroke. Most believe the 292-312 blocks were the same or very close to it. Good luck

14. Back in the mid-sixties, a older guy I used to know told me you could safely go .120" over on any 292 block with no issues, he claimed he got a few out to .160" over... but those he sonic checked. I know he built some big-inch Y-blocks that ran very well. Piston/ring availability was better in those days....