Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Right hand drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trvguy, May 13, 2014.

1. trvguy

trvguy

I've always been interested in doing a project car with right hand drive. Anybody done one of these? Suggestions? pictures?

2. [​IMG] Its easy we do it all the time:D

3. Most cars that were made in the US before about 1970 were also made here (Australia) in RHD- Ford, Chevy, Dodge, (not Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc). You may still find the odd steering box, etc, but most of it has been used up converting Left to Right drive. There are plenty of RHD steering boxes available from locally made stuff here (Holden , etc) which may fit, but it will be lots of measuring and cursing, like any good hot rod project.

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

A friend of mine imports pre-war Fords from Argentina to Germany. They're all RHD but in Germany we want LHD, so he's got loads of RHD steering gear.

5. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

In the uk they use a lot of range rover/land rover rhd/lhd steering boxes because there newer and easily found

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. HQ Holden Ute Mate" Whats" A Ute"

7. Yes, I've done a few!
    The only pain is that generally you have the steering box, starter, pedals and master cylinder etc. all on the same side. This can make hooking up steering and running exhausts a little more hassle, but the other side is a breeze.
    As I live in a RHD country, GM and Ford cars up to the 80's or so had mirror image versions of American steering boxes etc. The Australian version of the GM 525 steering box is very commonly used in cross steer cars

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I did the opposite and built both my cars LHD for a RHD country. Not rocket science, everything is just mirrored. RHD boxes are available in US. Try Jeep or 70s C10 Chev (used RHD box on outside of LH rail).;)
    Also US cars up to WW2 in Sth. America were RHD from Canada. After WW2 they were LHD.

9. The RHD Series Land Rover box works perfectly as a LHD steering box. You need one from a LHD to build it RHD...

10. 97

What sort of project? i.e early 20s-30s Ford or later Ford?

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The PT Cruiser was designed to easily swap from LHD to RHD as were most Jeeps. Both Subaru and Jeep offer RHD cars for rural route mail delivery drivers. If you're in an area with a large Post Office vehicle shop, check and see what they might have.

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All pure speculation until the OP gives us some more info on project details, we can't really give detailed help.

13. Oldest trick in the book is a 55 - 56 chevy dash in anything ya want. It's symmetrical, the gauge cluster will fit either side. Also the enter section lends itself to sectioning the middle out eg. Model A .

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Having a right hand drive vehicle is one thing, but getting used to driving it wrong is fun. Because now you are on the wrong side of the street for things like passing and turning. You have to be extra careful, then there is the lookie loos wondering what the hell is going on with your car, and or they want to take pictures and videos. It's ok until they start to drift into your lane.

15. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

There are some problems, driving a RHD car in the US. But other people can hash out the problems. I want to enjoy the upside:

The very best part of driving a car with RHD is the look on the faces of people in traffic who see a Saint Bernard sitting where the driver belongs in a moving car. Priceless!

By the way, since the HAMB crowd with an interest in RHD cars will all be checking in on this thread . . . if anyone has a Jaguar RHD steering rack and wants to trade it for a LHD rack, please shoot me a message! I'm putting a Jag front under my London Taxi, and I'd like to keep it RHD, but my Jag front came from a LHD car.

16. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Plenty down here mate,i'm using a series 3 jag f/end in my 3W Packard!

17. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

My 31 Coupe is a RHD. Love it. Spent 21 years of my business driving in the UK so its natural for me. I do get some strange looks going down the freeways. $$$$31.JPG

mgtstumpy and oldcarguygazok like this.
  18. guz04087

guz04087
    from Maine

My rhd 57 in the USA ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466382127.336313.jpg