Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mystery Grille HELP! Trying to identify

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Whatever it is, it has a great shape and would be perfect for a TROG build.

Steve

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Joey...we're just gonna call ya "Moe" from now on..done.

Jet96 and lockwoodkustoms like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd wager definitely a Custom, one-off casting.

A close look at the close up photo in post #23 reveals the circle isn't accurately round (at 5 O clock) and the legs of the M are not the same (right side wider). Rough background behind the M.
    Maybe started with a Franklin, etc as a template starting point.
    Maybe for a board track car. Last name 'M' (miller, etc)

lockwoodkustoms likes this.
  5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

looks very similar to BNC (Bollack Netter & Co) cyclecar, French

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Really nice piece to build a car around. it is Model T Ford era, but the bottom mounts don't look like a T fit. Went through the Standard Catalog of American cars 1805-1942 "M" section and nothing looks close. Maybe the "M" is for an aftermarket body company like Mercury or Morton & Brett. Post a build thread once you get started. Bob

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I can not find anything on this grille anywhere. I am hoping someone will stumble on an old photo of it on the car it came from. I am really beginning to believe it is a cutom piece because the cast grille is not 100% perfect by any means. But WHAT? it came from or supposed to be on is driving me crazt....lol. We just sent pics to Rick Love over at Vintage Air he said the guys he showed it to think Marmon. But I can not find anything that links it to a Marmon.

8. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am hoping that someone here can show it to someone who may know what it is off of. Even though I am a Hot Rodder and usual find myself saying nothing is sacred in my garage for some reason I believe if this grille belongs to a specific car of importance than it should be used on that car or recreate the car it came from or belong too

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still snoopin JL...Like Squablow I don't settle for stumped but this ones a toughy o_O...Hey I see 2 tags whats on them any numbers?

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have you put a thread gauge on the filler neck to see if it has metric threads? Just wondering if that Livingston tag was added after some repair work was done. Post the photo on PreWarCar.com a really great website that may help you ID the radiator. Post it on the Cycle Car thread here on the HAMB as well. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. belair

belair

You have it upside down. It's off of a 1928 Wombat.

lockwoodkustoms and Jet96 like this.
  12. That's neat AF! The "M" stands for mystery!

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Jeff that sounds good :)

14. Just saw a piece in Classic Car that may be a clue. Seems a few custom body builders (think Teens and 20's) would also make up a custom radiator. One pic shown had a radiator with similar contours. Add the owner's monogram, and I think that may be a real possibility.

Cosmo

15. Last edited: May 6, 2016
  16. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks everyone for trying to help me with this I truly appreciate it :)

17. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Marston made radiators in the UK. I wondered if it was a show piece to show what they could do? I will email The Automobile and see if anyone knows anything. Honeycomb grill is a sign of something well made.

18. Never2low

Never2low

Morton & Brett speedway bodies?
    [​IMG]

lockwoodkustoms and Stogy like this.
  19. Never2low

Never2low

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great detective work there Never2. While this is a very close likeness to Lockwood's work if art it lacks the logo and it is a very tough call.
    It could have been a one off special of what you found. The creators last name initial certainly matchs.
    I have a few more details to add. The drawing of the rad shows the sides more vertical...also the bottom corners are more rounded on Morton's design.
    Tough finding original speedster pics of this particular design to compare... also of note is thus style of radiator/shell seems often to be refered to as Fiat style.

USD54668-0.png
    https://www.google.com/patents/USD54668

ggbn77v.JPG

1921-underslung-speedster-ad-mounts-any-ford-frame-model-t-kit-racer_231819902703.jpg

393522.jpg
    a huge array of speedster photos here...
    http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/16-Authentic-original-speedster-pictures?styleid=1

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Never2low likes this.
  21. Never2low

Never2low

Wow! Great finds Stogy! That's a lot more info than I was able to find.
    I had a helluva time finding a clear pic, let alone any drawings that show the full on frontal view.
    I agree, it is very close with the exception of the emblem, but the last pic doesn't look to have the bead/lip running around the opening, just a more broad radius.
    I did find a second version of the first pic I added, as an advert for Laurel bodied speedsters. Same exact pic.
    [​IMG]
    I'ma keep digging.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a Fiat racer of the same era...This is a racer by the name of Eddie Hearne.Again uncanny resemblance but this has a crank hole right through it.

Fiat Racer.jpg
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/auto-racing-1894-1944.380814/page-81

I'ma keepa diggin too ;)...One thing for sure these are very beautifully crafted go fast cars. Incredible styling and mechanical genius that unquestionably influenced hotrodding.

23. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

No M logo but similar looking radiator on the middle car. Like the picture too.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  24. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This one looks very similar to mine

25. SR100

SR100

It strikes me that the car was probably built near New York. The builders would have purchased parts locally to save shipping costs. I suspect that the radiator has never left the NY area. I flipped through the 'M' section of my Beaulieu Encyclopedia of the Automobile (great resource for searches like this, BTW) and found 12 cars made in a 2-state radius between 1917 and 1927. That was my best guess of when that style of radiator would have been made with a honeycomb core (Does anyone know when the honeycomb radiator went out of style?). Searching for photos eliminated all but two.
    I think the radiator is from a Moller, built in Lewiston, Pennsylvania from 1920 to 1922. It was produced primarily for export. This is the best picture I could find:
    [​IMG]
    (There was also a Möller built in Hagerstown, MD. It was not related, but complicates the search.)
    I could not find a picture of the 1922 Mulford (7 produced). Mulford was a well-known racing driver of the era, and his car was said to be sporty, so it could be a possibility.

26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

That looks very much like mine :) I just got a thing on my IG from Hemmings saying that it appears to be from a Moller. Now I am hoping to find a better photo of one of these to confirm it. Thanks SR100

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well its been a interesting journey that may end with a couple of photos...How rare is that Lockwood...That is very rare indeed. I am sure you will incorporate it in a most interesting way even if it is on the wall as a conversation piece. Lots of untitled pics out there so you never know. With SR100's input I gleaned some info on Mulford

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog/article/the_mulford_special_a_roadster_that_saved_a_city

One thing for sure there was a helluva lot of car stuff going on back then and cameras only captured so much. We're lucky to see as much as we do. I will keep my eyes peeled.

28. SR100

SR100

Ralph Mulford tried entering the car business in 1915, but only two prototypes were built. I found this picture from an old Motor Age. The caption implies that it was a separate project, but I think it is one of the two prototypes.
    Mulford-Whitney Dues Roadster, Motor Age, 12-2-1915.jpg
    He built two cars for his own use around 1917; the roadster in the article Stogy linked, which was essentially a rodded pre-war Opel and a sedan for his wife. He tried the car business again when he retired from racing in 1922, but only five prototypes were built.

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks SR finding anything on his 1922 prototypes is as tough as that radiator/shell. That Moller you posted seems to be a form of boat tail speedster. Was also touted as very good on gas (50 MPG amazing) Easy to see how stuff disappears over time.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  30. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I actually too the cap off and looked inside with a flash light and it is super clean in the radiator itself almost as though it was never used. :)

COUPES and kidcampbell71 like this.