Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SOUTHEAST GASSERS "BRAND X" BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMIBERT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

Man, the car looks awesome, you have done a great job with it. Keep us posted as you move forward.

2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Is the scoop going to be the ' Two lane black top ' style ?

3. Not so tall. 2 1/2 tall x 16 wide x 25 long. Enough to cover the carb opening. Hard to find a proper looking scoop for a Cuda. All the old ones had a blower or stacks poking out. Carbs too low to stick them out. I'll post a pic this weekend maybe if I get it out. Mothers day you know.

4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Bert make sure you don't restrict the carb air flow by being too low over the carbs, mite ask a carb shop what the recommend for space above the carbs

loudbang likes this.
  5. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

If you don't mind doing some google detective work I'm almost sure I've seen articles/reports on scoop testing that Mopar racers did back in the 60s.

6. I'll check that out, Thanks

7. My buddy did the carbs and scoop on his, little O.T. but cool none the less.
    [​IMG]

8. Pretty cool. Is it all steel? Is the back glass original or plastic? Like to find some glass parts for mine.

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We have a couple cars in the group with the blower style scoop but I'm not crazy about them on a normally aspirated car ( A/G or C/G ) because it gives the notion it has a blower and makes fans think it's a AA/GS car. Not saying that I don't like the scoop because I do just don't want to false advertise LOL.

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  10. I agree Quain, I got one like Donovan has on his. I'll have it on by the weekend. I also got the carb deal worked out that I told you about for C/G. I'll have them on and going by Knoxville, as promised.
    Thanks

AHotRod likes this.
  11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

No problem, I hope we get more time to talk this weekend.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Quain
    Remember when the Mr Gasket street scoops were the rage. I'd make a beeline across the pits to see what appeared (from a distance) to be a cool car and........gag me with a spoon.

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yes I do remember, the same guy would have a tach mounted on the dash that didn't work.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  14. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Us hillbillies call those the "Kmart fuel injection"

15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Since the Hilborn stacks were not too tall we never had to worry about scoops, plus the cars were taller too in the hood area

We put my buds 4-71 blown SBC in the 37' one time and with the 2 hole injector it cleared enough for a scoop to go forward and over the Crossley radiator, never even knew the it was blown

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  16. I've seen the fake Hilborns for the bbc at the car shows. Look killer til you get up close and see. A nice one costs as much as the real stuff!

Zak Hall likes this.
  17. Lookin' good at Greer! Lookin' forward to checkin' it out again at Union, hang with it man. The car has come a long way in a short period of time. Enjoy it!

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  18. vitamindart

vitamindart

what glass parts are you looking for? we parted a 65 cuda a few years ago. wish you were closer I would tell you drive over you can have the parts and a spare rear glass for free. its been in my way since I pulled it.

loudbang likes this.
  19. That is quite a ways off. I was just interested in seeing if any fiberglass parts were out there. I've found a few--doors trunk lid, rear bumper no front bumper though. Be nice to find a Lexan or polycarb rear window.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Pro Glass will make you a lexan rear glass but set down with a cold drink of water when you get the price. it will be somewhere around $400. I think it was around $800 for both front and rear for the Pale Rider 55.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. vitamindart

vitamindart

sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you needed the window glass parts. not sure I have seen much early barracuda glass parts. my 1966 is even worse being a 1 year only body style.

22. I have no idea if Ray's car is part glass or lexan, he lives on the other side of the city from me so I don't see him to often anymore. On another note I like my scoop on my tunnel ram, people in the stands watch the burnout and the action on track not much wondering what's under the hood unless you throw down a fast number. If I ran n/a times with a blower I'd be embarrassed to put a scoop on it...lol My truck's blower almost fits under the hood but I've got a scoop on it too, so you can see something.

Quain Stott likes this.
  23. Thanks. All you have to do is break an original, like the Chevy II Sat. and it might be worth it!

Dog_Patch and Quain Stott like this.
  24. glrbird

glrbird

Its not a street car, so could you make your own rear lexan in three pieces with support straps on the edges where it would meet the curved edge where it flattens out? Does that make any sense? I too thought thing went well for the first runs.

25. Went to SIM yesterday. Made first full run on the car. Kinda disappointing but still a re-learning experience for me. Caught on as to staging a clutch car, got 60' times down to 1.60, reaction times down to the right side of decimal point and learned how much tire pressure NOT to run. Force once said that if you were out of shape and couldn't win anyway, take out the cones! Couldn't do that either, I'm not Force. For Knoxville, going to change transmission, carbs and maybe the rear suspension. I have better stuff than what is on the car now. Can not say enough good things about the SEG people. Every one is so helpful and friendly. We were a little wary at first, not knowing what to expect at Greer and now Union. Maybe a little stand offish, but we just couldn't believe how nice everyone is. Had to be a trick! Sooo far from what we had been used to, and the reason we quit racing a few years ago. It's fun again. No one tells me how I screwed up, how they would have done it, you should have done it this way or that way. Everyone is egar to help you do it your way.

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It's people like you that the Southeast Gassers are made up of. We are so glad to have you and as I have told you from the start let me know if you need anything. I just wish I had more time at the races to spend with y'all.
    I brought a set of front wheels and brand new tires to the track to loan the new guy in the 55 chevy so his car would be legal to run with us. Most every racer and crew member we have would have done the same thing. Thanks again for helping make my dream come true.

27. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Quain & Bert

Thats the way it was too back in the day running my 37', guys would help as we were just all out for some good fun

Don

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  28. That's right. We traveled together, ran together and had fun together. Very thankful to find it again.

29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Robert you just don't know how good it makes me feel to hear you say things like this. Just made my morning to know someone new is enjoying my dream of trying to preserve true gasser history as best as we can.

catdad49, AHotRod, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  30. flamin-408

flamin-408

Was great getting to talk to you in the lanes and pits. Glad to see another home built car and engine combo racing. We didn't have a good race with the Hoopty Wagon but was fun just being there with the group and fans. Keep working on it and most of all have fun. Like most of the people I have talked to it's about the fun and friends as much as it is about wining. As Sonne Hall said these three things happen it's a good day. Don't hit nothing, Don't break nothing, Have fun but if you break something or hit something and you still had fun it's still a great day.