Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2016 Stray Kat 500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 9, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The 2016 Stray Kat 500

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A couple of apologies:

1. The drone footage is light... Man, it was windy... and flying near both the Price and all of those cars made me more nervous than I thought it would. And yeah, I know this drone is almost uncrashable, but this was my first time to fly it in public...

2. I edited this video like 5 different times. Each time, Youtube refused the upload because of copyrighted music... In the end, I had to mix my own music - something I've never done before... and well, it's an interesting sound.

In any case, you guys are publicly watching me learn a new discipline. I hate doing it that way, but it is what it is...

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Very nice,,, the trip would be very nice for my better half and I, but it would be more than a long drive.
    Your trip for us would be being able to go to SpeedWeek; stay at a real hotel, have breakfast after the sun comes up, head to the salt to just look and talk with friends..
    In the eveing head back shower and have a nice long dinner with friends and then retire to the room for the rest of the evening. Instead of the insanity we live when we are there.
    But maybe we might be bored,,,,,,,,,

straykatkustoms likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing your trip with story & pics. Congrats on the Inspiration Award.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have missed less than a handful of SK500s, and was unable to make it this year (birth of granddaughter) but it truly is a great weekend. I lived in Bartlesville in the last half of the 90s and love to go back an harass my buddies. Mick and the crew are as good as it gets, period! I will be more than rarin' to go next May!

straykatkustoms, gonmad and drdave like this.
  6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I haven't uploaded anything to youtube lately, but I've always had success with mentioning the music source (artist/song title) at the end of the video, and in the description of the upload. I find it hard to believe people screen each video, but it gets through somehow?

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'll try that... I've also heard if you slow down the song by like 2%, the human ear can't tell, but the bot that monitors uploads won't catch it...

Frustrating... But for the artists, I guess I get it.

8. Sprout

Sprout

Great to see you and the wife. Awesome show as always

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

Those are the kind of car shows that I like to participate in.See old friends,make new ones,a little casual networking.I've given up on stressful car shows where rules outnumber the participants,and there seems to be an underlying sense of dread.Eff that!

As for Price Tower,that place is so cool.When I was in college,I took a semester off and lifeguarded at the Arizona Biltmore,a hotel/resort also designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.My manager asked me to come in on a day off to clean out a store room and I asked him what I was supposed to do with all of the stuff."Throw it away!" he said.Some of it was garbage,but I also found brick molds that I realized were used to make the blocks that decorate the hotel's facade and cases of Catalina tiles,also designed by FLW.I had a friend come up with a station wagon and I loaded what I could into my Vette.I envisioned using the material in a future house.A couple of months later,the folks from Taliesin West asked the GM where the molds and tile were and after asking the pool manager,he pointed a finger at me and said I threw it out.Other lifegaurds came to my defense and after an ass chewing and an unhappy ending for the SOB,they asked me what became of it.I said it's sitting in my garage and all cleaned up.I even saved the broken tiles and there was other architectural salvage.They were stunned that some college kid actually made the effort to save the stuff.My reply was why did they allow somebody to become a manager who had no sense of history?I guess that's why I'm here. ;)

http://www.arizonabiltmore.com/about-the-biltmore/resort-history/

10. atch

atch

x2 on staying in the Price Tower. Sherry and I were lucky enough to be able to stay there a few years ago while attending the SK500. I know that Raven (Robin) and his bride (Amy) also have stayed there. Even though one of Sherry's favorite activities is staying in fascinating/weird/historic hotels/motels (and we've stayed in a lot of them), it's one of the coolest places I've ever stayed in. We've spent a lot more ca$h to stay in places not nearly as cool.

But back to the original post: sorry I missed seeing you, Ryan. We were so busy looking at cool cars we completely missed the presentation and the chance to say howdy.

11. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

It was my first time going. I hauled my wife and two kids out there. Having just been to Lonestar Roundup my wife wasn't too eager to go but she gave in. It's not easy driving 6 hours in an old car with a 6 year old and 9 month old.

The whole drive there I was running scenarios in my head on what to expect. We pulled into Bartlesville around 9:00pm friday night so we didn't really get to do anyting that evening.

All i can say is that I am hooked. My wife was the first one to mention that next year we should come in Thursday and leave Monday. She enjoyed EVERYTHING about this event. Everyone (locals and visitors) were down to earth and friendly.

I took my drone but only did a quick sweep over the show saturday morning. I was too busy meeting people and enjoying the atmosphere that I didn't fly it again. Ryan got killer footage though.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. Congrats Duncan on the new addition. I kept looking for you and now understand why I couldn't find you. Next year, my friend!

13. Ryan, great write up! I was bummed when I looked at the time on my phone and realized we missed you and Dennis getting your awards. Glad you guys had a blast, and hopefully I can catch up and say "hey" either at the HAMB Drags, or at the SK500 next year.

straykatkustoms and guthriesmith like this.
  14. I am relatively new to the StrayKat 500, with this being the third year that we've attended but it has quickly become one of my favorites. Again, congrats to Mick and the rest of the Kats for another great show and congrats, Ryan, for being recognized for what you do. See ya in August!

15. catdad49

catdad49

Great job and congrats to both you and Dennis! Why is it that women love to see men "squirm"? Love the Wright Tower, what are the green panels? Also, sure would like one of their mugs! Thanks for sharing, Carp

16. Congrats on the awards Ryan and Dennis....well deserved on both parts. Mick is an awesome guy and I am blessed to call him a friend. My biggest regret about the SK is that Mick does such a great job with it he is too busy to relax and hang out like the rest of us are doing. He's built a great thing and after 15 years, has been able to keep it what it has always been, a nice quiet family friendly weekend of friends, cars and food. I don't think there is a single other show that once people found out about it that has been able to keep the same vibe. My hat's off to Mick for being able to pull that little trick off...however it is that he does it.

17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Sorry I missed you but I am glad you enjoyed the area and the show. Next year you might go just outside of Bartlesville to the this place http://www.woolaroc.org/ It might not be for you, but I always enjoy a visit there. See ya in August.

John

bchrismer likes this.
  18. image.jpg
    Damn, Ryan spotted in the HAMB executive chopper! Nice drone coverage but I prefer to visualize the HAMB chopper in action.....

straykatkustoms and bchrismer like this.
  19. Great show and great time visiting with lots of old friends and making some new ones. Mick and the guys do a great job. Mick took several opportunities to stop and talk to me throughout the day and I hated to keep him too long knowing what all he was trying to keep under control.

Another congrats on the awards Ryan and Dennis! I was in there to see you get the awards and Mick said lots of nice and true stuff about both of you. I meant to try to catch you after the awards, but got pulled away by one of my boys heading back out to hang out with Jimmy's (gonmad) boys, Tony's (Fif-t-3) boy, and Dr. Dave's daughter.

I even got to talk to Denise (hotrodladycrusr) for a couple minutes while I was waiting on the awards to start.

Ryan, I guess I was watching your drone come down over a group of us standing around Jimmy's 58 Nomad but didn't realize it was you (not sure how I would of know anyway)...

I did another marathon Saturday leaving the house about 5:30 am and rolling back in just before 10:00 pm. I'm planning a weekend around it from now on... Too many years doing the marathon and not enough relaxing and just hanging out with friends. This show has become more like a family reunion than a show and I am already making plans for next year.

straykatkustoms, gonmad and drdave like this.
  20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Man, sorry I missed you Ryan. I would have liked to shake your hand and thank you for everything the HAMB has brought me.

straykatkustoms and guthriesmith like this.
  21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

well that figures...I woulda bet good money that ryan would be a no show...he don't like the spotlight
    ...and my ass was so weak from chemo that week, I couldn't make it...
    but, good news is that the doc says after 4 of my 6 chemo sessions, I'm on my way to remission...so I can come play next year

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never been to the SK500, but it's on my list.

I was married in a FLW designed church, however.....

Community Christian.jpg +

23. MRpants

MRpants
    from pea ridge

its a great show. been going for years.

24. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

The Stray Kat 500 and the Starliner are my two favorite weekends of the year. Sorry to all of the other shows out there, these two just do it for me. Congrats on the award and thanks for the write up! It's an honor to be a very small part of these shows.

I tell people that most of the great people in my life these days are people I met via Mickey. So I thank him for that, but I should also extend those thanks to you. Just as many, if not more are directly from being a member here. Thanks Ryan.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462820197.624523.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462820208.578106.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462820216.979405.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462820226.799406.jpg

25. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Gonna' hold you to that Larry!

26. I'm glad to see Jim Bakers Merc there.The one Ryan used on this blog..Built by David Guymon,Cartwright,Okla...Upholstery by your truly over 30 years ago...also made the bunper guard tail lights for him...Jim is a retired airline captian and also an instructor for the big jets up at the Boeing plant...Jim lives in Sherman,Texas.....

27. And you even managed to accept your award and sneak off stage without speaking!

straykatkustoms and drdave like this.
  28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm turning bright red and getting that empty feeling in my stomach just remembering that!

I love, love, love that car... Probably my favorite car at the show and my favorite Guymon car to date. That dude has such good taste man... And your interior rules.

Damned right!

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great news

30. GO, MAN, GO!!! Way to be an overachiever!

straykatkustoms, 3wLarry and drdave like this.