Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Couple of questions about my 53 Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toecutter, May 7, 2016.

1. Toecutter

Toecutter

Picked up a 53 Chevy on air bags last week. Today I pulled the front wheels to check out the brakes and to get to know the car better.

First Question - Anyone recognize these brake calipers? The rotors are tiny. Almost look like they are 12 or 13 inch. The calipers only have one torx bolt at the bottom. Want to go ahead and install new pads. But I also wonder of you guy's can recommend a bigger brake kit. The car has 18" Boyds in the front so a bigger rotor wouldn't hurt.

Second Question - I noticed the upper area of the air bag makes contact with the spindle. This car was built about 10 years ago. Don't know how many miles it was driven. Is this a concern? Are these bags pretty tough? Just don't want for an airbag to pop on my when I'm on the road. As you can see the suspension is up in the pictures. I turned the wheel left, right and this area makes contact the entire time. Can't tell if it makes contact when it's lowered because I can't get in there to look.

Attached Files:

2. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Try to get that back to regular suspention unless that a show car and not plan on driving it.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I hate when people do that shit and that means driving and/or calling all over the place just to figure out which brake pads are correct.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I'm no fan of bagged cars. I used to drive a truck, so I know a little about air bags, but might also be wrong about some items.

Are bags sturdy? Yes
    Is it good they rub? Hell no
    Can you drive it?, yes to the shop or the seller. If either are close!

Regarding brakes;
    pull caliper, put pad in pocket, measure BCD, check for Marks/logos/numbers cast in the caliper, measure brake hose thread if its accessible (metric or inch?), drive down to autozone/peb boys/what-ever-is-in-you-hood, ask for the oldest guy in the shop, ask to see the books/if he can find a pair brake pads in the book, pull pad from pocket, tell him you respect his help and enjoy the service, get your parts/info/price, pay the man, and be happy.
    maybe come back with a six pack of beer or soda another day, because this guy will be you new best friend for the longest time!

jeffd1988 likes this.

5. Maybe it's some sorta stock mustang two brakes. That's not stock 53 Chevy control arm.

6. R Pope

R Pope

Ball joints, probably MII crap.

7. Those bags are covered with age cracks. You're going to be replacing them soon, so it's a good opportunity to go back with a more traditional setup.

8. 18 inch Boyds??????? Not HAMB friendly...

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I was thinking the same thing - probably should've left that part out , lol ! Somehow slammed with airbags seems to get away with it here on the HAMB .

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics of '53 and complete frontend with steering - as said likely Mustang II set up with stock calipers - you need to redo how bags are set up with smaller diam bags - as said with cracks & rubbing you will have a failure - please get some more nostalgic type replacement wheels

volvobrynk and Toecutter like this.
  11. Toecutter

Toecutter

Yes it's a Mustang II front end. So I'll know what to look for now. I'll look for some replacement bags or look into the Ride Tech setup. And I hear you on the wheels. Kinda blew my wad on the car so gonn have to ride on those for now. Really appreciate the help guys.

12. Toecutter

Toecutter

image.jpeg This is the only pic of the car I have right now. I'll look in to a different wheel set up for it.

Maybe somebody here knows the car. I picked it up in Houston last week.

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Are you an long time and skilled car guy?
    Are you aware of things like Scrub line, Ackerman, camber change with right height changes, and how an airbag system is set up? Or just fell in love with the pic?

And that is a little "gender/identity crisis" on wheels to me. The wheels are way to big (for most HAMBers), it would look better with painted steelies, the visor looks like something out of a Mack B-series cab, why does the front bumper look like a snowplow, the car is so low that I doubt it would ride over my drive way (that is gravel like you see in a train yard) Mexican blanket (?) and no back seat but dynomate? Not typical HAMB stuff, in less you plan to change it.

I'm lost for words, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but there might be some harsh word leave keyboard all over the country right now.
    Now dos respect, just a heads up.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

read your profile - my first thought was that you were a know little young guy that dove in too deep seeing/buying a ride that goes up & down - a good time to teach your kids the right way to correct things when you buy someone else's creation. nothing wrong with muscle cars, just not to be discussed here. your site texasdragracing.com is interesting - maybe one of your racing/muscle car connections would be interested in trading some good rims/tires for your set up.

15. Toecutter

Toecutter

image.jpeg No offense taken at all guys. Been a hot rod guy for a long time. I know drag race suspensions. First time diving in to the air ride stuff. The car was someone else's project that's why it's not done yet. No interior....etc. Don't know anything about the front bumper but I looked at other 53's and it's pretty much factory stuff. Plan is to give it some nice shiny paint and restore all the stainless. Will probably leave suspension as is for now. But will look into an adjustable coil over setup. Also need to finish up the interior for it. My kids are still in drag race mode so I'm on my own on this one. This is my 1957 Belair I did a few years back. So I do have some taste lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

likely has been flipped upside down

shows may be hope for you yet

Toecutter likes this.
  17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

@Toecutter I might have mis judge you, and taken you for a young guy, trying out this world of old cars. My bad

Okay so now it's possible to talk shop with you, and the is a good chance you will get it. Lol
    Might even know more then me

I always become suspicious with a car this low, because I fear that people cuts corner to get that low.

I know how a truck setup is done, so I have no base line to know if the crack matters on bags. On a truck they wouldn't, because it's only a skin that protects the actual bag from small debris and sun/UV deterioration.

I would swap the wheels the first time you get the chance, but the car is fixable. As long as it doesn't have road signs as floorboards.

Post more pics, it might be better then my fear, after seeing the bag location.

18. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

that's not a 53 chevy

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, was obvious with pic - but, forgot to pass it on to owner - sometimes can not see the forest for trees -

20. little red 50

little red 50

It could be a 53 chevy with 54 front sheet metal and grill. But it is not a Belair. Looks like 53 tail lights

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe 53 1/2

22. Toecutter

Toecutter

I have caught a lot of flack about the 54 nose lol. But it's a 53 Chevy. Domt really know if it's a Belair, 150 or a 210. It's missing all the stainless around the windows and the lower trim. But all the holes are there for it. I imagine after 63 years some stuff has been changed around. I just love the ole girl. Takes you back to a time when cars had character and became part of the family.

23. Those look to be stock mustang II brakes and you want to change them out. They are not near big enough for the weight of that car. Looking at the way the airbags are set up on the control arm, I would look into possibly putting coil springs back into it and ditch the Air bags. Depending on how the rear is set up, you could keep the bags just for the back or swap them out for coil-overs if it has a 4 link installed in it.

24. Please fix the air bag rubbing before driving that car much. It's an accident waiting to happen. You can buy smaller bags but spring rate and height needs to be considered. You may be able to find aftermarket A-arms that move the spindle away from the bag as well but check your fender well clearance. Not knocking the car. I think it has potential. You just may not get much love on the HAMB for it.

25. It most likely is a 53 210 series with a 54 front clip. Side trim and dog egg trim say 210. 210 had belt line and window moldings.

little red 50 likes this.
  26. Toecutter

Toecutter

Did some more research yesterday and found this article on line.

http://www.customrodder.com/tech/0303cr_retrofitting_1954_chevy_rb_ifs_ii/

This setup is very similar to mine, if not identical. They put a little more work and thought in to it but the design is the same. Yeah the discs are stock MII so those are getting swapped out for larger units. I've attached more pictures I took last night. Found this Heidt's tag on the crossmember. I spoke to Tim at Slam Specialties and he recommended their SS-6 bags which are 1" narrower than standard Firestone bags. And they don't expand outward so that will help to clear the upper ball joint mounts. The car is just a Saturday Night Special. So it won't be going on any road trips soon. Appreciate the help from you guy's. I know this is not a HAMB friendly car right now. But I do intend to clean it up and make it a nice custom.

Do have a question on the brakes. It has a chassis mounted under floor booster and master. Looks like one of those kits you pick up from Speedway. The pedal is super hard and just barely stops the car. I checked the fluid and it's full. I am thinking the booster might be bad. But I am also going to check the way they ran the brake lines. It is common for the front and back to be installed backwards. But I doubt that. More than likely just a bad booster. I don't see a proportioning valve anywhere in line. So going to look in to that too.

About the rear suspension. Don't even get me started. It looks like a Cantilever system? I'll post a picture tonight when I get home.

Attached Files: