Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures NASCAR beginings show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Webb, May 8, 2016.

1. Just finished watching the first 2 hour show,was a good history of the start.Anyone else catch it?It's a 3 part series.

2. Yup, some neat old cars.

3. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Yep, it was interesting to see how Big Bill started his monopoly over 'stock' car racing.

4. the beginings was very close to the way portrayed...good show

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It was interesting on how it all started and why it became so popular.
    Today NASCAR looks very different from the way it started.

All things evolve with time but sometimes not for the better!!
    I find rules like the "Lucky Dog" to be not well thought out.

Instead of reducing ticket prices they simply remove seats at many of the tracks to make it easier for the show to be sold out!!!!
    There is a reason when any sectioning body does not have sold out shows.
    Put on a better quality show for the fans because when you are not selling out events your fans and spectators are telling you they do not see the value in what you are selling.

Jimbo

6. Good show, interesting. At the risk of sounding picky, someone needed to pay closer attention to the old cars. First scene took place in 1935.....one of the fed's cars was a '38 Oldsmobile. France was driving a '39 Deluxe Ford in 1936.

7. What was it shown on? TV?

8. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

I love Nascar and its history BUT geez it has gotten pricey to go. the hotels within a 50 mile radius charge premium plus for the races. That right there drops me out. I too have noticed tracks that used to sell out, like Bristol, now have a lot of seats open. 'I'll sit in the comforts of the couch and watch.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

Channel 166 on Dish CMT

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I caught about the last half by accident, never saw it advertised...Was ok as far as I know of history of Nascar..I did notice the "future" cars...

11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Same goes for me, I noticed alot of cars that were too new for the year they said it was. They needed a tech advisor that knew what year the cars were for the time period they were going for. I still enjoyed the show and will watch the rest of the series.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

CMT (Country Music Television) - cmt.com - NASCAR: The Rise of American Speed. The high-octane story of NASCAR is chronicled. can watch online if you know your TV provider sign in info.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw the show and enjoyed for the most part. I loved and for the most part still like NASCAR especially in the 70's and 80's. I know it is dangerous and much safer now. I got soured on it buy a Rusty Wallace statement he made right after the first race at Indy. " We are finally getting paid what we are worth" . I don't know what happened to change but that was disheartening to say the least. I knew guys who would have driven for free. One of my friends says if you want to see a NASCAR race throw Skittles in a toilet and flush it. I was an still am an Dale Earnhardt fan.

gas pumper and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Found it, thanks. On again tonight at 9:00pm.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

part 2 on now, and again at 8PM in West - CMT 166

16. deucemac

deucemac

Not knowing the full history of NASCAR, and seeing how poorly the property manager did his job of period accuracy makes me wonder about the accuracy of the text spoken as the pictures/scenes are shown. I was especially impressed with Junior Johnson loading the truck of his "advanced prototype" '58 Chevy Belair as the commentator tells us, and later shows us his arrest in the early '50's. Or Lee Petty walking out of his house in 1954 to greet his son d standing next to what looks like a '55 or 56 Buick Roadmaster coupe. If this is a real documentary, it would be nice to be historically accurate both visually and in the text.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

on now in the West

18. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I think they used whatever cars that were readily available ....I think the 39 standard ford coupe is the one that was ( maybe still is) in the nascar hall of fame.....pretty sure they had it show up in about 1936 in farceumentary!

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I saw part 1 and thought it was ok for a documentary. Accuracy is a question mark. I have part 2 recorded and will watch sometime. But for real gungho NASCAR fans, the 5 tape (or whatever # of DVDs) of "NASCAR AT 50" was way better. Craig T. Nelson did a fine job narrating. Oddities like Tim Flock driving a 55 Chrysler 300 at Daytona in 1955 with a Powerflite automatic and winning the race, was something I will never forget. (He really came in 2nd, but Fireball Roberts was disqualified, therefore Flock was declared the winner)

20. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I watched all 3 parts and it was pretty good. Not perfect, but better than 99% of the "reality" crap on TV.

21. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX