Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody know a source of good MII bushings, etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, May 7, 2016.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am back working on a chassis that I build while working at my former employer, at emphatic customer request, at a different shop, in my spare time (drama, multi-level, multi-shop, don't ask). I am hustling to get it finished for the late spring shows. I started it 3-years ago. It has never been on the road. The project basically stalled when I left.

Almost all of the bushings, a-arm, rack, rack boots, motor mounts, etc., are all showing signs of failure, or have already failed. It is likely far too complicated now to go after the supplier.

Anybody know a source of actually good ones? I don't want to press in more crap.

I will go with polyurethane if I can get it. This is a traditional lowrider, with hydraulics. It will be tough on rubber.

2. It's a shame that Global West doesn't cover the M2 suspension. Their proprietary Del-A-Lum bushings seem to be the real deal, I know the ones I had worked very well. They cover a lot of other cars, if there's any interchange with an aftermarket M2, they would be worth a look.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am trying to figure out what the control arm bushings are. Several aftermarket suppliers sell arms with polyurethane bushings already in them, so they exist. None will spill-the-beans, so far.

They'd be happy to sell new complete control arms, though....

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Give a call to Energy Suspension. Maybe.

6. The key question is 'does that aftermarket M2 use the same bushings as OEM?'. If it does, you're home free; there's plenty of kits for a OEM front. If not, there's several places that sell poly singles for custom installs but you do need to know what to ask for (od, id, length, needs a sleeve, ect). And besides having squeeking issues, poly is generally less compliant compared to rubber. That improves handling, but can put added stress on other components. Personally, I'll use it if need be but if ride quality is important, I'll use OEM quality rubber if I can get it.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The aftermarket control arms do not use the stock bushings. I have yet to figure out what they are.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. stimpy

stimpy

have you looked at a early 70's dodge suspension as they are like the MII without the strut

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

do you have access to a lathe? you can buy raw polyurethane rods, or existing bushings that are close to size. freeze the material with dry ice to machine it.

11. badshifter

badshifter

12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Can't you just order some from someone like Fatman's? That's what I did last Spring.

13. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

If the after market is smaller in ID, you could ream out the ID to OEM

14. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Was told some of the aftermarket control arms use 70's Corvette rear strut rod bushings.

15. High quality parts. HRP

16. Call ElPolacko

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call!