Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help identifing my 53 Mercury's rear differential.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vt-spike, May 7, 2016.

1. vt-spike

vt-spike

So I am trying to change the gears or in my 53 Monterey. Problem is, I have no idea if it is the factory rear end or if the p.o. had changed it out. I looked for a axle tag with no success. I believe it is long gone if it had one. I think it may be a 9", but I am fairly unexperianced compared to some of you. Does anyone out there have any clue what itmight be?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Standard Ford-Merc rear end, 49-56'..Mac's has some parts..

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is not a 9". It is a standard '49/'56 Ford...and some Mercury models of that era. Your best bet for a ratio change to that axle is to find one with the ratio you want, if such a thing exists.

What I mean is, depending on the year and transmission, some models had ratios in the mid 3's and up to the low 4's.

Otherwise, you might consider swapping in complete axle assembly with the ratio you want. Your OEM axle is fairly narrow, from outside to outside dimension, so you'll need to take that into consideration when selecting an axle assembly.

Ray

4. vt-spike

vt-spike

So, do you think this one would work?
    http://www.vapinc.com/ringandpinions/
    Part number WX2542-3 under the Mercury section.

I was looking at 9" rears a year ago, but it seems that whatever I find is to wife for my car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. F&J

F&J

What width do you want? I just installed a 65-66 Mustang V8 rear in a different brand of old car. It was about 57.25" from wheel mounting surfaces.

There are quite a few aftermarket ratios for about $150 to fit that Mustang 8" rear. Stock "most common" ratio in an original Mustang was I think 2.78

But the 67-up Mustang went wider, so I needed to find the 65-66 V8 8" which is 5 lug. 6 cylinders used a 7-1/4" gear? with 4 lugs

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

How about telling us exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish.... "changing the gears" can be interpreted in a couple different ways.

Are you wanting to replace worn and or noisy gears with new of same ratio? Or, change the ratio to something different than you have?

Ray

7. That's for a station wagon, which uses a different rear axle from yours. There weren't that many axle ratios available for these; they ranged from about a 3.3 to 1 to 4.4, with most being 3.7 or 3.9.

8. vt-spike

vt-spike

I am trying to get more top end. Right now it takes off like a bastard, but I tach out at 3000rpm @55-60mph.

It has a 351C engine, and a C6 trans.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

They are getting a bit harder to find, but a Maverick/Comet 8" is a good choice. Usually they are 2.79 or 3.0 ratio, and are 56 1/2" wide, which fits well. Granada (and the Merc nameplate) 8" is the same, is about 58" wide, and will fit also. Another potential source is Ford Ranger/Mazda B series pickups. Many have the 8.8" axle, but even the 7.5" is a decent piece, a bit stronger stronger than your present rear axle. Ratios on these are often a bit higher, numerically, i.e., 3.27/3.55 and up. Not as good a choice as the 2.79/3.0 with your present setup.

Perhaps you would want to consider an overdrive automatic (Ford AOD). It will fit in the same space as your C-6. The C-6, by the way, while rugged, is not a particularly efficient trans. They absorb more hp due to internal drag than many automatics. Lastly, even if you did opt for an overdrive trans, I would still change out the rear axle as the stocker in your car is not a particularly strong unit. In that case, the 3.27/3.55/3.73 ratios would all work, the latter two the best with OD.

Best wishes with your project.

Ray

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  10. vt-spike

vt-spike

Thanks alot for all your help. I will cruise around and see if I can find one like you suggested. The trans is fairly recently rebuilt, so I don't want to pull it right yet.

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've bought 4.10 3rd members on ebay, but of course it's a crap shoot. not a lot of rebuild parts for those, i.e. gears. my experience is that the axles are a real weak spot. the maverick rear is a popular swap, but they're getting scarce, too. the station wagon rears were the same as the trucks, but not a lot stronger than what you've got, and there are a couple of special tools needed to disassemble.

12. vt-spike

vt-spike

Does it matter what year maverick, or comet? I found a couple project cars I may be able to tear one out of.