Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone Know About Pertronix Ingnition?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Twisted_Fate, May 5, 2016.

1. Twisted_Fate

Twisted_Fate

Hi.
    -My Y block is in desperate need of new Points... So I'm not giving it what it needs. I feel an upgrade is deserved. this PerTronix 1261 Ignitor seems like its just the ticket to start off my little project(which is more of a big project, and really "blows"(and hopefully not just up)) couple questions about this guy.
    1) the ignition coil recommended is... Ehhhhh. its ok. but if I go with a higher powered coil will it harm the switching module?
    2) say I go with the higher power coil.. will it mean a better spark or will the regular 40000V gimmick be fine?
    -I want to drive it for a little bit before I take it apart and probably end up getting sick of it, and going with an LS or something stupid like that. I'm upgrading my generator to an alternator during this process of fun.
    3) do it at the same time or wait till I take it all apart. (I'm already leaning toward doing it now anyway.)

ill probably remember some other dumb questions I have later but until then.
    Hey-thanks for the help.

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

get ahold of GMCBubba. distributor guru. also search on here for his ignition thread.

3. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

I installed a Pertronix on my Y block in my old Galaxie. It was super easy to do so I'd say go for it now. I don't know which coil you plan on using but I used the Pertronix one. I got them as a package deal. The timing was way off after install but after I adjusted that it ran great.

4. rfraze

rfraze

Look for hotroddon on here.
    I do believe the unit has to match the coil or the other way round.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Russco likes this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have installed a bunch in 40's only issue was a couple of coil failures early on which they replaced.

6. Grease53Monkey

Grease53Monkey

Just put the Ignitor II system in my 53 Caddy with the stock 331 and seems great so far. Used the flame thrower coil as recommended and eliminated the ballast resistor.

7. I put one in my 348 Chevy and used what was advertised as a high performance hot coil from Summit. I haven't driven the truck yet, but it ran good on break-in and cranks and runs fine in the garage.

8. I had one in my Deuce pickup along with their coil,I also used one in the wagon. HRP

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have pertonix pick up in my stock distributor on a BBC and run their Flame Thrower II coil. Been in there for 9 years, no issue at all. Runs hard. Looks stock.

10. Better buy two...

11. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Had one in my 60 T-Bird for 6 years along with their coil. haven't had a problem and always starts great.

12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Running one right now in my 327, Ignitor II and their coil...flawless.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I installed a Pertronics in my 56 Y-Block after loosing 2 condensers. I used their recommendated coil. You have your choice of using or not using the ballast resister. I called them because the reviews I read always had to do with the coil; they said either way was fine one the voltage would be lower to the plugs. I kept the resister and it's worked perfect for 3 years. Because the 56 has the Loadmatic distributor I changed it to a 57- up. Other friends of mine have used them for over 10 years with never a problem. The nice thing about a Ford is you can carry all your original parts and basic tools to change it back in an emergency.

14. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I guess I got the parts they made on Friday afternoon (or maybe Monday morning.) My first and only Pertronix failed inside a year. By the way, if you switch to Pertronix, beware that when they fail, they fail without warning, and you're stuck dead on the side of the road . . . unless you are smart and keep the old points and condensor in your tool box. Even old, failing points will get you home.

Twice I've had aftermarket electronic ignitions fail without warning. I stick to points now. They may require periodic maintenance, but they've never left me stranded.

15. Twisted_Fate

Twisted_Fate

So you're telling me by just getting a 57+ distributor and ditching the Load'o'Tragic (bolt up) I can't just run a standard distributor with a vacuum line to the (aftermarket)carb along with the pertronix gimmick and voilà I'm set and ready to cruise around again?

16. Some love the Petronix, while some love to hate the Petronix.
    Some have had "drop dead now" failures on the road, with the Petronix.
    I have one car with Petronix, one still has its points.
    My eyes opened wide, when I read the Petronix directions, telling me to keep points and condenser, "just in case".
    http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/pdf/ignitor12vneg.pdf
    Read on right side of page, item # 5.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @hotroddon, you got your ears on?

I have installed an alarming number of Pertronix Ignitors. Only one failure, and that was my fault.

That said, I would ditch the Load-O-Crapmatic, and get a real distributor.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Use them,love them and no problems.Yes.... use the coil that goes with the unit.

19. spanners

spanners

I've used them in 2 of my early Holdens. One is in the Holden grey motor in my HA/GR which I regularly rev to 6000 rpms without breaking down.

20. Twisted_Fate

Twisted_Fate

To be Honest you guys definitely confused the hell out of me more with switching to a distributor out of a 57 Y-Block. i started doing some research on that and came up with problems between late and early year production, along with no part numbers to correspond. Some cooch even went as far as to say he had a 57 y block factory with Load-O-Tragic(which I find kind of hard to believe). I've been up all night doing all types of research! gee thanks guys! haha

trad27 likes this.
  21. Like mentioned before, contact Jim Linder, aka GMCbubba.
    He will set you straight.

22. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

For several years there has been an issue with the Pertronix II when installed in a cars with automatic transmission. If the idle is around 550 rpm when in gear, they will often start miss-firing and drop every other cylinder in the firing order, but then return to firing normally as soon as the rpm is raised. Of course only a stock car is likely to idle that slow, and with a hi-po cam, M/T or high stall converter, it probably wont wont idle slow enough to happen. Pertronix is fully aware of this condition and considers it normal for the type II. From what I've seen, many cars now running the type II don't need it's extra features anyway and would get more than enough ignition performance for street applications with the original Pertronix I .

23. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I don't use the pertronix but I use the accell points eliminator kit which is similar ( I think the same thing) as a unilite module. I always carry a spare module just in case. I would recommend carrying a spare module regardless of the brand. And definitely use their recommended coil.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Is this a Pertronix unit? It was installed by the previous owner, I'm assuming it's Pertronix, but could be some other brand (are there any?), but no labeling is visible. It looks like a simple design, just a magnetic ring that rotates with the upper assembly and triggers a hall effect in the sensor mounted directly below it, which in turn closes or opens the coil primary circuit. If it fails on the road somewhere it looks like it would be pretty easy to swap in a new unit (if you have one). No more difficult than installing points/condensor, probably easier.

It's not like I haven't had points/condensor systems fail on me before.
    20160504_151235.jpg

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

26. Back when the original Ignitor was fairly new I put one in my '67 Cutlass. I ran the car that way for about 3 years before I sold it, and never had any trouble with it. Simple enough to install, and I understand the current Ignitor and Ignitor II come with a 30 month warranty.

27. Muttley

Muttley

I've had one in my Comet for about eight years, all trouble free.

28. belair

belair

I like them. Always use their cool, never a problem.

29. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have had a Pertronix igniter in my '57 for over 20 years and still works fine.
    It made a noticeable difference in the way the car idled (much smoother).
    It also made starting the car quicker.
    As with anything you can find people who have had problems. Since most were probably installed by "do it yourselfers" you have to take that in to consisderation.
    If you follow the directions carefully, and there is nothing wrong with the unit, I would think it will give you many years of service!
    KK

30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I just installed one of the newer Ignitor III distributors on a Ford 289. The distrubutor was real nice, with the cast look that wasn't gaudy or out of place on the engine. It worked great. Definitely use the matching coil, they are picky about how much resistance comes from the coil. Buy the matched set.