Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Street rodder magazine is crap.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman1, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalman1

metalman1
    from tatum

Am I the only one that thinks street rodder magazine is crap? I got my new issue today,another turd on the cover, their building a 1966 fairlane for the road tour car....I should just throw it in the highway,It is supposed to be about rods?Now everything from a rivera to a mid 1970's C/10 is a rod....sorry for the rant.... What's worse I have a 3 year subscription to this marginal soon to be muscle car magazine.....I miss Rod & Custom.....

2. indyjps

indyjps

Well yeah, it's about street rods. Scope creep to include all cars follows Good Guys.

3. I just read the HAMB.No disappointment.

4. Hell ya , I quit buying it a couple of years ago when they changed their format . Nothing but adds !

5. It's been years since I've read Street Rodder.
    The Rodder's Journal is where it's at, ......for me anyways.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, you can cancel the subscription, but Street Rodder has sucked for the last 10 years.... or more. Unless a HAMBer gets their car in it. Then, it's okay.

crminal, slack and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. The title says it all,the magazine doesn't cater to the traditional crowd. HRP

lothiandon1940 and clem like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it as bad as Rod & Custom & Hoffman Group got?

9. williebill

williebill

Bought every issue since their inception for years. Very rarely do I find anything I care about in SR anymore. Think I buy one or two a year now at the bookstore. Things have changed.

need louvers ? likes this.
  10. scotti32

scotti32

They have lost the plot. Buy HOP UP. Miss Rod & Custom

1956 F100 and need louvers ? like this.
  11. The coupe got some print in SR years ago. Have not looked at that mag since.

12. I can't complain about any of them. Because I read them all at the book store for free. When the wife goes shopping, I have her drop me off. I get some coffee. Than Grab a hand full of mags. I then set and complain to the poor guy next to me. He's reading his field and stream. That the only thing they cover is street rods and rr rods! I do sometimes buy a Rodder's Journal, if it has something that I really like. Finally the wife picks me up. Then we go home , and I get on the old H.A.M.B.! Ron...

slack, snopeks garage, belair and 3 others like this.
  13. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I've read street rodder since the early 90's. About two years ago, they called the house cause my subscribtion had " run out". I promptly explained to them the reason. To me when it stops being real what's the point?

slack likes this.
  14. dad-bud

dad-bud

I've bought SR on and off for 40 years but in the past 15 years, haven't enjoyed it anywhere near as much as I did Rod & Custom.
    Such a shame they shut that masthead down. SR is full of rubbish and ads. Sometimes the ads are better to read than the articles.
    Thanks goodness for the HAMB - thanks again Ryan

15. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I get my custom fix from Traditional Kustoms, John and Carrie are doing a good job with their bi monthly.. Hemming is my other "prescription"..

16. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

Agreed, change the name of the magazine if you change it's content. I mean cars from the 50's are cool but this 60's stuff are not hot rods as far as I'm concerned.They and Good Guys have jumped the shark

17. As they say...,there's an ass for every seat...and so goes Street Rodder. When the big " street Rod" organizations start allowing late models in the program the publications have to change their business model to include that crowd or be left behind as the older Street Rod types pass away or get away from cars as they have gotten older. As Smitty said in Hollywood Knights " things change...nothing stays the same"

Jalopy Joker and dmc3113 like this.
  18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I feel your SR pain, but it's all about trying to broaden the market to increase sales
    as demographics change..
    Rod & Custom was one of the best.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

It has been over ten years since I stopped my subscription to street rodder. I am glad I did it has gotten much worse in the last ten years

20. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I used to have subscriptions about every year then stopped as the newer vehicles got more prevalent. Although I do not know the man and have read where he is a great person, I got tired of every issue having a George Poteet car. When Good Guys broke the "49th" street rule for street rods to incorporate more cars and people it seemed to focus more on newer vehicles and appears to continue that way. My brother in law has given me a subscription the past couple of years so I have seen the trend. BUT HAMB friendly rides, such as Norwell's '32 5 window, have shown up inside if you keep an eye out. Like anything else, you have to ignore what you don't like and enjoy what you do like. It can't be all things to all people. R&C was more traditional for sure.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And as I said in a another topic, the product in many of those ads is pure garbage but folks keep buying it. It's easy to take for granted what's here but build a "new" street rod and you'll gain a different perspective. Street Rodder? Garbage in, garbage out...

22. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I had a subscription for years, but I found myself never reading them (wonder why? ) they would just pile up in my magazine rack! When my subscription came due again I just let it lapse, GOOD RIDDANCE!!

23. All that have replied and are not an Alliance member to this post (including me) should buy an alliance membership and support this place . I liked Rod & Custom I also liked Street Rodder mag until they changed there format.
    I'm on SS and bucks are tight. I will buy one last Alliance membership because this is a great source of Hot Rod information.
    Dadgum it.

Saxman and olcurmdgeon like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The guy is probably saying to himself "you think you got it bad, all my magazine ever has in it is rifles and fish'n poles".

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. Stopped buying it a few years ago. I just go grab a stack of old Rod and Customs or Rod Action from one of the 15 magazine tubs in the basement. The old ones are better all around.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to agree with this, I stopped buying them a long time ago. I used to love the pre 49 cutoff and still do.
    I really enjoyed all of the Bill Burnham stuff too.

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. elba

elba

Just a matter of time and it will be like the DODO bird.

28. ...I know it'll never happen, but I'd like them to bring back the REAL R & C...
    fas 081.jpg

29. millersgarage

millersgarage

I didn't like how the magazine itself has shrunk in size. Physically it is small, not page content.

30. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Rod & Custom was my ''last'' hold-out to subscription for hot rodding....really hated to see it go away!!! Don't subscribe to anything anymore:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.