Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Pagoda City Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by IronTrap, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Did you shorten the torque tube? As I'm looking at this picture it looks like the torque tube is way too short...

[​IMG]

The end of the torque tube should be inside the 2 piece clam shell thingy that bolts on the transmission.

Or maybe I am just seeing things.

AHotRod likes this.
  2. IronTrap

IronTrap

Good eye. I got the torque tube from a buddy who had it shortened and it was made too short. He donated it to me for mockup. I have it mounted that way right now just to find the height of the torque tube as I'm building the floors and such. I plan to buy one of those nifty seal/flange kits the one guy sells for the rear of the torque tube to keep gear oil from draining down the torque tube and I'll make it the correct length then. Thanks for the heads up regardless.

3. IronTrap

IronTrap

Cut flanged and further formed the tunnel. Gonna weld it all together this week and hopefully move on to the trunk sheet metal. Need to find a donor seat quick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm curious about how you did your pedals.
    Did you have to shorten them?
    Did you fab or shorten the clutch linkage?

5. IronTrap

IronTrap

Yes I shortened the pedal arms themselves quite a bit and I also sectioned the clutch linkage so it was the correct length with the frame pinched in like it is. Mainly the part that actually hooks to the transmission. cut it in the center and took the excess out and welded back together. Using an F1 ball pivot mounted on the bottom of the frame. I can snap some pics sometime if it helps, It's all mocked up right now, need to replace one of the link ends as the hole is oblonged and puts too much slop in the clutch pedal. I still need to shave/smooth the radius on the back of the clutch arms so they clear my cuts in the floor for the pedals at they stick out and hit the top of the openings and I don't want to cut the slots any larger than I need to.

I found some original pedal return springs with a cheap set of F1 pedals at Rhinebeck this weekend so I'll be adding those shortly.

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, I'd surely like to see what you did with your setup. I've got mine mounted but haven't done any cutting or bending just yet. I used a stock F1 and skipped the holes over to fit between my A rails and inside the T cowl. It's tight, they arc outside the firewall, and the brake pedal hits the bellhousing.

7. IronTrap

IronTrap

I heated and bent them a little as well to get them sitting where I want. I will have to notch the trans tunnel to make a foot rest for the gas pedal, but I expected all of that with a channel job like this. I'll try and remember to snap some photos of how it's all sitting with the drivers side pan out in the next week or two for you.

patmanta likes this.
  8. IronTrap

IronTrap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fit and welded the tunnel pieces together. Need to cut the shifter hole and make a heel insert/step for my foot on the go pedal. Moving on to the trunk sheet metal this week if all goes well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

j-jock, kiwijeff, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  9. IronTrap

IronTrap

Found a pair of seats that are perfect for the car at the Jalopy Showdown the other week. Supposedly from an early Chevy Suburban. They fit right down in between my cross braces and have just about the perfect height. Just need to build some tilt into the mounting brackets. Working on the trunk floor this week. Hoping to start welding floors in here soon!

seats1.jpeg seats2.jpeg seats3.jpeg

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Huh. Those do look great, never would have thought about those. Neat.

11. IronTrap

IronTrap

Started on the trunk floor. Need to make the rear crossmember hump and weld it all together. Then on to fitting a gas tank and tying up some loose ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

j-jock, kiwijeff, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  12. Hey Hollywood ! Just saw your car on TV. Eastwood commercial. Nice ! Is that you welding ? Bump for autographs, and headshots of the coupe ! :)

13. IronTrap

IronTrap

Haha yea I heard they were taking some clips from the videos to use in commercials. Haven't seen any of the commercials myself but if someone is TIG welding it's probably me. I'd have to pay you for an autograph it's the much in demand! Haha!

Forgot to update here. Been busy with life but have been picking away at the car. We're doing some remodeling inside of the headquarters here so I decided to take the car home and work on it at my leisure. Got the first shot of it sitting outside from far away before I loaded it on the trailer. I'm digging the profile, just need to get some blackwalls on that sucker!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got the rear cross member hump made and the floors all welded into the car with a million rosette welds with the MIG 175 and finally all feeling solid again!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also broke down and bought a Bosch Laser Level after wasting an afternoon chopping and chasing the positioning of my headlight stands. Took all of 10 minutes to get them sitting right after the level up!

[​IMG]

Working on building a gas tank to tuck into the back trunk recess right now. I'll snap some pics as I work on that this week.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock, jackalope, chriseakin and 6 others like this.
  14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Looking good Matt.

Blackwalls will look great, in my opinion the rear could come up a little to give it a small rake.

brEad, slv63 and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  15. IronTrap

IronTrap

Been picking away at this. Gas tank is 90% done other than leak testing. Added a little breather that exits out the bottom of the floor. Fun project making this tank as large as possible but sit down into the trunk and out of the way as possible with the big step in the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This past weekend I drug an old S10 seat I had kicking around in the shop out and decided to make it work in my car. I decided I wanted the look of a bench rather than buckets. I know a minivan center seat is almost a drop-in, but this was free and gets rid of some junk laying around the house! Need to finish mounting rails this week and I'm ready to find some material to get it recovered in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come it's been so hot my helper and I have been in slow motion in the shop lately!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock, T-roaster, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  16. IronTrap

IronTrap

Seat is all done for the most part, just need to shave the foam some more and have someone wrap it. Made some seat mounts that connect the seat to the cross supports in the floor. I figured I'd give them some shape rather than just bolting square tubing down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. IronTrap

IronTrap

I also decided to build a custom Spoon pedal to fit in my channeled car. Used an original deuce pedal I had kicking around for reference along the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I took some measurements off of the original pedal and bored out some solid round bar to make the sleeve. I also bent up some slightly smaller round bar, leaving extra material on either end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then bored out another piece of round bar to fit over the main part of the pedal. this sleeve would go on as the actual pedal portion that goes into the car. I tack welded it to the round bar and test fit it in the car to get an idea how it all would fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then made up a couple more sleeves and welded threaded rod to them to slide over the main sleeve. This allowed me to bolt the entire mess to the firewall and start planning out the bends of the pedal section inside the car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then bent up the "spoon" portion of the pedal and did some heating and bending until I got the shape right to fit in the car and flow. I then welded everything up and blended it all together to make it look a little more like a factory part.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also made up a tin cover like the original spoon pedals had. This covers the slot where the pedal comes through the firewall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally I drilled and tapped the pedal arm and the main section so I could insert set screws to pin the pedal in the correct position. My buddy Pete let me raid his parts bins for some old throttle linkage and I found an setup that would work for me and modified it to suit the Thickstun intake. After some minor adjustments I have full throttle throw with the pedal. Really happy with how it turned out and had fun along the way!

j-jock, rpm56, brEad and 8 others like this.
  18. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

That came out great Matt. Nice fabrication work.

19. IronTrap

IronTrap

blackwalls1.jpeg blackwalls2.jpeg

Been slow going on this lately. But I managed to get my spare set of '35 wires powdercoated and installed a set of Lyons style spun caps I got off of a guy on Instagram that's repopping them. GREAT quality and they look the part. I threw the blackwalls on with the smaller 5.50 front tires it sits just right in the front. I'm still trying to decide what color to do the wheel covers, kind of like them in a raw-like gray.

outside.jpeg insidegarage1.jpeg insidegarage2.jpeg

Buying a house with a huge shop and preparing to move my life here shortly. The new garage is roughly 2,000sqFt and is PERFECT for spreading out and getting more organized. Once I get done rushing around getting the house and shop ready before winter hits I'll be back on the coupe. Hoping I can button up the last few things before I blow it all apart for final welding and paint on the chassis and floors. More to come!

20. Keep the updates coming.

21. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

Those caps look good! Whats his instagram name?

22. 51box

51box
    from MA

Looks good man, new shop is really cool congrats.

23. IronTrap

IronTrap

@Justin_Baas on IG

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  24. pumpman

pumpman

Damn, that garage is freaking great, love the field stone walls. Looks it could take a hit from a bomb and not even shake. More room for more stuff.

25. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks! I have the shop all laid out already in my head, can't wait to get in there and start setting it all up!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Now that is a wild shop, very cool.

If you haven't yet, maybe do a thread over on the Garage Journal about your newly acquired home/shop. Love the stones.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. IronTrap

IronTrap

Great idea, been reading a lot on there lately, I just threw something up. Thanks!

Old-Soul likes this.
  28. AHotRod

AHotRod

The Coupe and the new garage look great Matt.

29. The coupe looks better now. Looks "tough"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!