Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model a Victoria The Secret

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kickstarter, May 3, 2016.

1. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Well I went to the Charlotte Auto Fair a few weeks ago, wandered around all day and all I found was one patch panel I needed for my 55. I did get a couple leads on a possible car from a buddy though. Next weekend I took a little trip up into the mountains to look at a Model A, I had no idea what I was going to find but it wasn't that far away, and any excuse to to look at old cars! I ended up getting two Model A's a 30 and a 31 Victoria. I was hoping for a coupe, but these are pretty cool. The 31 is really nice, no rust, all stock and should be back on the road with just some basic maintenance. Then I can drive it while I decide what to do to it. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go.

mgtstumpy, Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Sounds good! Pictures?

46international likes this.
  3. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I'm working on the pics! Just have to get them off my phone. lol

4. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

First pic on the way home. image.jpeg

pbr40, hfh, Dave Mc and 19 others like this.

5. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Pic of the 30. image.jpeg

hfh, brEad, dutch deuce and 9 others like this.
  6. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

image.jpeg And the 31 home in the shop

hfh, brEad, BigO and 8 others like this.
  7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

What a great pair of Vickies! What are your plans for them?

8. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I'm keeping the 31, it may get a flathead v8 and lowered a bit. The 30 I'm not sure yet, i don't need two Vicky's.

9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Very nice! Looks like the wood in the '30 is still pretty good too!

10. Nice projects.
    Just so you know there is no such thing as a 30 Ford Victoria. The few that were produced in 30 were 31 Models.
    Make sure you have all the "rare" Vicky stuff for the one you keep, because you'll pay dearly for it if you have to rebuy it

craig b blue and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. All Model A Vicky's are 1931's. HRP

12. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I thought they made around 6300 Victoria's in 1930. Maybe my info is wrong.

13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

All Vicki's including ones built in 1930 used the 31 style grill shell which leads to some confusion

Sent from my SGH-T399 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

1927graham likes this.
  14. Is there an echo in here?

Barn Find likes this.
  15. Whatever....They both are very cool......

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Vickys are kool! Better than a coupe. Great find.

46international likes this.
  17. Congrats, that's a good days work.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Really nice, fun stuff, I'm watching!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Great find. Will be watching.

20. Wish I had one.

Stogy likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

TWO Vickys in one buy is a rare deal these days. I'd keep the steelback. Bob

Stogy likes this.
  22. Yes there were a small number of Vickys made in 30 but they are all 31 models regardless of which year they were built.

23. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

The title for the 1930 does state it is a 1930, not a 31. The 1931 is a late 31 as it has the indent in the fire wall and the title for that one states 1931.

craig b blue and D-Russ like this.
  24. You don't think a title can get screwed up in 86 years? I have a 15' T titled as a 31 roadster. I'm not saying it wasn't sold in 30, what I am saying is that they were 31 models. The slant window sedan was introduced first then the Cabriolet, then the Vicky, then the 400A, and finally the Deluxe phaeton. They were really pre32 models if you will.
    I've always been impressed with you car D Russ you didn't start with much and its turned out amazing

25. Unless that's an original unrestored car...:rolleyes:
    Find a factory photo from '30 of a Vickie with that splash apron and I'll eat crow;):)

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

If the apron type is an indicator, I know of one, unrestored (waiting on a restoration, actually), that does have the 1930 aprons. I only know this because I was offered to purchase them and I passed because I was looking for 31 aprons, at the time. As well, this car has a 30-style firewall. The radiator shell was 31 style, if memory serves correct.

27. I've been restoring Model T's for the past 15 years, and this issue comes up a lot. Most states "back in the day" titled cars for the calendar year in which they were built/sold, not the manufacturer's model year. The "new" model year usually began in about August of the year before, so lots of '16 model year cars were titled as 15's, '24 model year cars were titled as 23's, etc. What the title says does not necessarily reflect the model year of the car. Sometime during the 30's and 40's, most states began to title cars per their correct model year. We all know what a '57 Ford looks like. If you had one with a title which called it a '56, would it be a '56 model car? I don't think so. All Ford Vickys were '31 or later model year.

craig b blue and 46international like this.
  28. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

If I end up putting the flathead v8 in, what are the best transmission options?

29. I based my information on a elderly gentlemen here in my hometown that is considered the local historian and authority on model A's and was told all vicky's are 31's.

Doing a little research this morning I cede to the more knowledgeable members here,in this day and time with knowledge at your finger tips never assume the elderly geriatric gentleman is always correct. HRP

30. car doctor

car doctor

I have a 32 ford with a 52 merc flathead and I put an s-10 5 speed behind it. It works great and the 5th gear is nice for cruising down the highways. If you ever decide to sell it let me know!