Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Desoto 318 swap- steering question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage_car, May 3, 2016.

1. vintage_car

vintage_car

I have a 48 Desoto, I have swapped in a 318 (tight squeeze) For power steering- is there a steering box that can be swapped to retain most of the factory components but gain power steering or is Rack/Pinion the go to answer?

2. 73RR

73RR

Power steering usually isn't required on these cars if the front alignment is spot on and all of the components are in good shape. But, there are times when some folks feel a need and install a power rack (usually from a Cavalier).
    No, I doubt that you will find a ps box that you can just bolt in....
    Be sure to check in with the guys over at www.p15-d24.com for additional info.

CaddyRat likes this.
  3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fatman fabrication makes the cavalier brackets , you cut the column tube leaving the shaft longer , insert correct tinker bearing by leaving enough material on tube to make 4 tabs that will fold to hold bearing in place , universal joints and your good to go...or......offset the engine for clearance...that's what the factory did often..

CaddyRat likes this.
  4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops..rim ken bearing...

5. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Timken bearing

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ I knew you'd get it...:D X2 on the 'offset engine' suggestion!
    Most small block MoPars had engines offset, some as much as 1.375"!
    I recall my nephew working in my shop, he was installing a 392 hemi into a mid-'60s Plymouth. He measured 4 or 5 times before he said, "Hey, Unk...Somethin's really screwy here...this damn car's 'off-center', or somethin'!"
    I showed him some examples after that...although the factory did it, I always felt that moving the steering was more 'proper' than offsetting a heavy member like engine/transmission.
    But I did set an early Dodge up that way...(440 power)
    I reasoned that any time the car was running, there was a driver whose weight would 'balance it out'...so long as the engine went to the opposite side...:p

7. vintage_car

vintage_car

the engine is offset at an inch to the passenger side. I'll take a look at Fatman.