Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rebel wiring push button start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zefa46, Feb 12, 2016.

1. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

Hi I'm just rewiring my 50 Ford using a rebel kit but dont know how to wire the ignition push button up anyone done this
    Mike

2. Did you ask them?

3. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

Hi yes but not had a reply yet , thought someone on here may have experience with the same car

4. 24riverview

24riverview

What drivetrain? If stock run a wire from the starter relay to the button (through a neutral switch if automatic). If not stock there are ways to use the stock button and relay but it has to be the correct relay, not a later model Ford style (for either style stock or otherwise).

5. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

yep it's stock flaty not had one before wanted to give it a try before swapping a 302 in , it's 12v neg earth

6. dt50chev

dt50chev

At ignition switch wiring bundle, connect one side of your pushbutton to Red wire and the other side to the Purple wire. This will power the starter lead when the button is pushed. Note that using the red wire will allow the button to work regardless of ignition switch position.

7. F&J

F&J

Those old Fords use a one wire button and it sends a ground to the "grounding type" original solenoid.

Post number 4 explains the solenoids.

Also, I think Drake may sell a stock looking replacement Ford button for two wires, to be used with modern powered solenoids,.... likely other vendors have it also.

Hot Rod Nut likes this.
  8. dt50chev

dt50chev

Thanks for the explanation. If a two wire switch is used, you could then ground one side of the switch, connect Purple wire from Rebel harness to the other side of the switch. Then other end of Purple wire would connect to original relay.

9. F&J

F&J

I'm a bit off today :) ...not sure if I understand your explanation.. I'm not up on your brand of hot rod harness, either.

Let's say that the new repro style 2 wire pushbutton switch is used with a typical GM starter; One side of the button goes to the S terminal on the GM solenoid. The other side of the button needs to find 12v source that (for safety reasons) is only hot with the key "on".

That power wire going "to" the button, could also have a neutral safety switch wired in between, if you had one.

10. dt50chev

dt50chev

Yes, that is correct.