Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1956 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Feb 12, 2016.

1. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Excellent decision!! Good luck with it!!

2. Fender1325

Fender1325

A couple pictures of progress.

Driveshaft with new U joints installed, and transmission cross member installed with grade 8 hardware.

New fuel line I made as well as the new fuel pump installed. Such an ordeal to get the hardware and a good double flare tool.

Attached Files:

3. Fender1325

Fender1325

Resoldered rad brackets, and painted rad core support.

Attached Files:

4. HELL YEA!
    Love that car.
    Deserves to be back on thunder road with you behind the wheel!!!!

Fender1325 likes this.
  5. Fender1325

Fender1325

Thanks....

Just got the radiator support installed. What a bitch that was! No matter how I tried there was no installing it without removing a fender and sliding the other outward. Would seem straight forward enough except all the fasteners were mega rusted. Nothing some liquid wrench, wrenches and a rubber mallet couldnt handle. I then tapped out any threads and replaced with grade 8 hardware.

Once I got that done I realized the hood latch was about an inch off from closing and latching. I broke free those rusted on bolts and adjusted it but realized the radiator core needed to be shifted underneath the car so the big bolt's washer would slip behind this lip under the engine cradle....(hard to explain). So I got creative and used a tie down ratchet to pull it where it needed to go.

Anyhow.....very happy with the progress today.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Fender1325 likes this.
  7. Fender1325

Fender1325

image.jpeg Rads soldered up and in.

8. Fender1325

Fender1325

Welp, loaded it up with water and the damn thing leaked from every possible part.....

Luckily its just water....but itll need a radiator, and water pump off the bat. Was hoping to idle it longer today.

9. Jacob Goodin

Jacob Goodin
    from Cincinnati

10. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I would probably go back with a BBC if it's already set up for one, less hassle.

Jacob Goodin likes this.
  11. Fender1325

Fender1325

Some pics of my shop press escapade today......or lack of one. Wanted to see if I could even take the water pump apart myself before buying a rebuild kit or sending it off.

The weight of my truck wasn't enough to press out the bearing.....my redneck shop press is laughable, but was worth a shot.
    image.jpeg

So then I bought some 1.5" 1/8 angle iron, cut it up, welded it up to slide on to the iron table saw.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Applied pressure.....some more......then more, then POP......sounded like a balloon popped. Not sure what broke, but Im fairly certain its the harbor freight 12 ton bottle jack because it didnt seem to pump anymore. I did see the beginning of the bearing to creep out though. So its a small victory, unless I broke something haha. It was about 11:30 at this point though and Ive called it quits for the evening.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12. Fender1325

Fender1325

Another update.... The bottle jack actually did not fail. I guess it was the bearing breaking free. It popped once more today as it eased out of the old rusty water pump.

Followed by that, every nut on the thermostat housing sheared off....took a few hours to drill those suckers out. They held on to the bitter end. I was able to tap some holes but the other two I drilled a little off center. I'll probably just add nuts beneath the housing studs to keep it nice and secure.

Sanded all surfaces inside and out, wire brushed, and now its all taking a vinegar bath.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

By the way, the water pump wasnt originally even THAT clean.....I originally soaked the whole unit in vinegar and scrubbed it.

image.jpeg

13. Looks like your doing good.Just like my 56 buick was. .Hard for everything till the end.Keep plugging away.Bruce.

Fender1325 likes this.
  14. Fender1325

Fender1325

I cant catch a $@!&ing break. My water rebuild kit came in the mail. Without telling anybody online, their new impeller requires machining to work properly. And if you use your original impeller, THAT requires machining to mate up to their seal. Its so misleading, and after shipping this rebuild kit was basically $100!!!! I am so sick of being dicked over by vintage cadillac parts dealers. I could sell the entire car Im so pissed. I was trying to save money by rebuilding it myself!!! Its ridiculous.

15. v8shadow

v8shadow

Reading this....I'm thinking maybe he gave up? Hope not.

16. davidh73750

davidh73750

We need some closure here. Did you get it running? Doesn't matter which drivetrain.

leon bee likes this.
  17. Dan Barth

Dan Barth

Following... I know a guy who bought a 56 CDV, engine on the stand. The seller previous to this seller said the car ran and stopped great. The seller said they got it running (turn the key ? new battery ?) and engine was smoking. It's ona stand and they broke the dipstick housing and an exhaust bolt. The seller said to refresh the engine, bottle hone, leave pistons are they ARE, new rings, cam, cam bearing, lifters, head gaskets, crank bearing (leave crank alone), new timing gear and cover, new oil pan....IDK, what about the heads and valves ??