Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Dirty carb, need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voodookustoms, May 1, 2016.

1. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462138841.769757.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462138858.237290.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462138871.321582.jpg

I bought this Carter AFB from a fellow hamb member. It looked clean from the outside, but after installing it seemed to be clogged. Fuel was not coming out of the jets but the fuel bowls were full. So I took it apart and found some corrosion on the inside, mainly in one fuel bowl. I cleaned it pretty thoroughly with carb cleaner and compressed air. Do you think with that amount of corrosion that it should have a full rebuild?

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Blow out all the passages ,try it , then you'll know
    dave

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Thank you, Deathanol ....
    it'll still clean up ..

4. Cool thanks guys.

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It's probably the accelerator pump, the shitty fuel always fucks up the umbrella...

voodookustoms likes this.
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. Thanks for the replies. I have an extra accelerator pump from my other carb. I'll try that out. If that doesn't fix it I'll just get a full rebuild kit.

8. I don't know how necessary it is but I usually go after my fuel bowls with a tooth brush and then Q tips and try and get as much crap out of them as possible. I have been known to take pipe cleaners to the jets and whatever passage I can get to with them and use plenty of compressed air to blow them out, then I check everything with a piece of rubber tubing and my breath if I cannot blow though the passage I try again.

Extreme? Yep, well you got to be anal about something right?

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Any used carb I buy, I expect to at least put a carb kit in, especially with the modern crap stuff they are calling gas. Gene

10. blasted

blasted
    from N. Tex

The main problem with the AFB carb after setting up is the accelerator pump circuit more than the pump it's self. Where the 2 spry nozzles are, take the screws out of that assembly and you will find a spring, weight and a ball at the bottom. That ball will get glued to the pump hole by old gas. Ball don't move, no pump fuel. So clean and blow that out good. Blow thru the nozzles into the chamber. Other wise you can plug the nozzles with trash. Also blow out the idle circuits by removing the idle adjustment screws and shooting cleaner then air threw them. Those are 90% of the reason for AFB's not running right. As said above, go ahead and do a rebuild kit. AFB's are good carbs with few moving parts, easy to clean and only have the 2 things mentioned above that can keep them from performing well.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  11. Good info here. Thanks guys. I'll get a rebuild kit and clean as described above. I appreciate all the knowledge. With all the work I've done to cars, I know very little about carburetors so this is extremely helpful.

12. Mengestwinspeedshop

Mengestwinspeedshop
    from Santa Rosa

Make sure the metering rods move smoothly!