Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvair vans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ozzies 57, May 2, 2016.

1. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

so I bought 5 corvair vans. 3 greenbriers and two panel 95's. why? because i love them and this old dude who has been hording them for years finally decided to sell them. I am in the process of bringing them home right now one at a time. and 4 of them will go up for sale. I am keeping the blue greenbrier (on the trailer) thought I would share, although they aren't priced yet I am going to be selling pretty cheap and just getting them out into circulation again. so check the for sale coming up, but for now check out the pictures and enjoy.
    corvair 1.jpg corvair 2.jpg corvair 3.jpg corvair 4.jpg corvair 5.jpg

bchctybob and Barn Find like this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

Wow, another Corvair stash being liquidated. Great score Ozzie. A year or two ago some guy in Stockton had seven Corvairs listed for $1500 if I remember right. I needed parts but not seven cars worth although I would have liked to cherry pick the bunch of them.
    There were no vans represented at the recent all Corvair show in Sutter Creek, it would be great to see some of these hit the road again.
    For those who are thinking that they are the poster child for "Under-powered", there was an Ultra Van at the show; a full size motor home with a Corvair drive rain in the back! First time I ever saw one.
    http://www.corvair.org/chapters/ultravan/

3. SledDriver

SledDriver
    from California

Hey. Will you be parting a van out? I ask because I just got a Ramp in a trade with a real nice guy down in Stockton. I already know I need a fuel tank and a couple of little things. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462230442.949238.jpg . I'll message you as well.

Thanks!

Weedburner 40, bchctybob and Phillips like this.
  4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Take it from a guy that has owned a bunch of Corvairs... don't sell 4 of them. You cannot, CANNOT, just own one Corvair. The car gods demand at least 2 at all times;)

You'll wish you had one of those down the road when you need parts. I've been out of the Vair bidness for a lot of years and I still have a bunch of parts. It's part of the culture.:cool:

bchctybob likes this.

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

The holy grail of corvairs......I would love to have a ramp side.....

bchctybob likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-1-23_3-50-29.png

Hello,

What do In and Out drive through and this 1965 Corvair van have in common? You might be hungry for one and hungry for finding one of the nicest Corvair vans we have ever seen. Since last Monday was a holiday, the spaces for advertising or a nice For Sale location is perfect for a viewing. It was parked next to a very busy In and Out place and drew tons of attention.
    upload_2024-1-23_3-51-53.png

My wife saw this bright orange Corvair Greenbrier van and was amazed at the condition. We pulled over and I took a few photos. A nice looking young lady was also looking at the van and asked if I was going to buy it. What? Us buying a Corvair van after owning a 1962 Corvair coupe? Ha, that was a good one.
    upload_2024-1-23_3-52-33.png The lady’s shadow + “we all like a nice rear end…”

But, in looking at the pristine van, it would be a nice coastal cruiser for our road trips and days spent at the beaches. Inside when it gets hot and a nice breeze blows into the open seating area in the back. Wow, that would be a great place to sit next to the waves or down at the harbor and draw another old hot rod or write a few stories for our granddaughter’s memory book.

Jnaki

A 110 model plus pristine interior and an automatic, be strong enough for steep grades along the coast or up into the local mountains? It might be a little underpowered, but what a ride on the surface streets along the shorelines on the coastal cruises. I suppose a vintage A/C system could be a custom install for those hot summer months… YRMV

mitch 36, bchctybob and LOST ANGEL like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Back in probably 1968-69, there was Ron’s Enco gas station in Westchester, near LAX. Ron was an avid dune buggy guy, VW and Corvair power. He took a non-ramp side Corvair pickup, cut out part of the rear floor and installed a 394 Olds, a Hydro and an Olds rear end. The radiator, engine and trans were mounted to a channel iron subframe welded to the front of the rear axle housing. The front pivoted on a big truck ball-joint looking thing and the rear was suspended with leaf springs and air shocks, IIRC. The poor little truck was fitted with ramps above the engine and upper ramps. He carried two dune buggies on the truck and sometimes towed one behind! Looking back, I can think of several reasons that it could have failed and left him stranded but I don’t believe that it did. Tough little truck.
    He built his own tube chassis buggies which would later be known as sand rails, I guess. But I’ll never forget that green and white Olds powered Corvair pickup parked out in front of the station all week. Ron was fun to work for and many of us did back then.

pvfjr likes this.