Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this hilborn set up for a pontiac?or olds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick english, Feb 11, 2013.

1. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

303-0-8a?

mine just says
    303-0-8

2. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

303-O-8 is for 303 (usually, LOL)

303-O-8A is for '57-8 371 and have much larger port openingss

303-O-8B is for '59-60 371 and '59-64 394 (the '59-60 371 being a small-bore 394) and have humongous port openings

I've had them all in the past.

The 303 one might very well (and I always did think it would) fit the 324's, at least through '55. Not sure about '56. The '56 #10 heads either take that one, or they take the same as '57-8 371. Not sure. Don't have any heads or Hilborns left here to check.

3. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

I just spoke to Kim and don at hilborn again.I guess she scanned the certificate of authenticity but didn't email it to me.She said she'd do that right now.I'll post it up as soon as i get it.

Also,i told don that i have the first olds setup ever made.Number 101..He said "wow"..I said "yeah...but something interesting about it,its machined for a Pontiac"
    He said"yeah we used the same castings for olds and pontiac back then"
    (dons been at hilborn since 1962)

Pretty crazy huh?..I got The first on ever made and its miss labeled..

By the way,the people at hilborn are very cool.Kim said said they sell everything to get my system back on the road and i can even buy it piece by piece..And she said by the time i retire I'll probably have a working setup.lol

4. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

So here's the note:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Seems like you got your answer and a cool one at that....

Don't wanna side track this, but where did you find the 101 on the intake?

6. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

hold up, ill get a pic of the number.

7. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Ok here's some pics.My camera sucks..Almost impossible to see,but why do you ask?think it could be a phoney?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ill try to get some pics in the day light tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  8. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

The note says 376 cu. in. Oldsmobile..How did he get 376 ci from an olds 324?

9. No....got one for a different motor, and never found any serial numbers, just kinda wanna know where it came from, and where to look for a number.
    Thanks for the pics

10. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

no prob.what engine?

11. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Just a thought... you don't suppose that Hilborn also has a sheet for Pontiac #101????

12. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Probably.Why?what are you thinking?

13. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Like, what if there were TWO 303 Olds castings with the number 101... one for 303 Olds and one for Pontiac.... both being the first of their kind for that type engine. Might explain why the data sheet they gave you didn't seem to show Pontiac info. And maybe there is another #101 datasheet filed under Pontiac in their archives.

It was just a thought.

14. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

hmmmm.maybe its possible..or maybe Jerry Massey,being a mechanical engineer and oval track racer ordered the olds setup and asked for it uncut with no holes drilled knowing that olds and pontiac have the same intake ports??You never know...

15. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Entirely possible!

16. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Looks like i'll be trading it for the 6x2 log intake to: "SUPERSTOCKGALAXIE"

17. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

IMG_20160402_060158.jpg Resurrecting this thread in search of the guy who bought the hillborn or traded me.I have an early pontiac now and id like to get it back if possible(yes im a dummy).I have this sweet mlp6 6x2 with 6 holley 94's being polished i can trade or id like to buy it back if your not planning on using it.Fingers crossed on this one.Thanks,
    pat IMG_20160418_182348_694.jpg

18. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

A little late ot the party but.....definitely looks to be for a '55 -'60 Pontiac.

Here's a '59 389 head, intake side.

[​IMG]

19. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Thats cool!I just got a response from superstockgalaxie and we might be working a trade back!i will be so happy if this trade back works out.

20. rfraze

rfraze

Also,i told don that i have the first olds setup ever made.Number 101..He said "wow"..I said "yeah...but something interesting about it,its machined for a Pontiac"
    He said"yeah we used the same castings for olds and pontiac back then"
    (dons been at hilborn since 1962)
    That just happens to be Don Enriquez, here at the wheel of one of the MANY (Gene)Adams & Enriquez dragsters (fuelers). Just so you know who you are talking to, and that they are "still doin it" at the track.
    Enriquez-JR-F.jpg ennriquez.jpg

21. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Wow! I really had no idea.Thats really cool.Thanks for sharing the pics too.I hope to be "doin it" like that someday.

22. Really cool thread!!

23. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Thanks!Its pretty amazing how fast this worked out.3 years later and i get a response from him right away.I will be a happy boy if the trade goes down.I told him i would finish polishing the intake & carb bodys to a mirror finish if he would trade me back.

1927graham likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg If the ports lined up I would have whacked off the ends and made new ones that match my head and welded them on. With the right chamfering, grinding, and finish media blasting it would have tough to tell from as built. Have that would have screwed an original part. Hilborn has done some finishing of castings they never made lately something would not do 20-30 years ago and have paper work on all of it. Having them close is good too. Don flowed a pump for me last month and made sure I bought the correct stacks for my Howard/Arias head injector they completed (not polished). He loved it..

1927graham and Anti Chrome like this.
  25. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

That's a good tip.If i would have thought about that 3 years ago i might have kept it.We will see if i end out getting it back.I have the engine it bolts onto now so if i get it back i will have a serious boner problem...