Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What flathead is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big shitt, Apr 30, 2016.

1. big shitt

big shitt

Hey y'all!

Hoping to get som info on this motor i dug out of a pile of crap a while back.

Obviously a flathead, a 21 studded one.
    On the manifold deck it says BB18F and prolly the vin number after (starts with 72).

That is pretty much everything i got on this one, double waterpumps in the block and distributor straight forvard from the cam.

Any ideas?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. big shitt

big shitt

Oh!
    Forgot to mention, the engine is in finland, and has probably been here since the dawn of time

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

This is what's known as a "Lake Find".

4. i'm no Flathead expert , but i believe the only 21 stud with water pumps in the block was 1938....could be wrong , someone will know for sure

i'm saying USA , maybe over there things were different

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Pumps in block indicate a 1937 or later block. Earlier than 1937 the pumps were in the heads. Some one gave the whole engine the Naval Flotation Test. Odds are very slim to not have disastrous cracks.

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

English manufacture Ford Pilot. you can tell by the cylinder number chart cast into the head. could be much later than 37-38, i think they were made with those 21 stud 221 motors till about 48? some had 2" fixed shell rod bearings and some were floating type.

7. big shitt

big shitt

I have very little hope that i can actually use the engine, but it's always fun to get some facts on it
    Are parts intercangeable between us and brit flatheads?