Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 33.5" mono leaf

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick english, Apr 30, 2016.

1. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

I've been searching around but cant find anything.I'm looking for a 33.5" eye to eye mono leaf without the reversed eye.Does anyone make somthing like that?If not,does anyone in socal make custom springs that are affordable?Thanks,Pat

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what is it going on? why mono leaf?

3. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Here's what i'm working on.Trying to make this axle work on my car becuase i really like it.Its a tube axle with forged ends and the welds look awesome.I think its a super bell.I tried using a model A spring.my bud said to stretch that spring,but i pretty much flattened it out and got the spring eye to touch the perch,but That was it,the spring wouldnt stretch anymore.If anyone has a better solution im open to it.Do They make bat wings with adjustable perches on them so i could use the model a spring on this axle?Its a 37-41 axle. IMG_20160404_061057.jpg IMG_20160415_063558-1.jpg IMG_20160415_063612.jpg IMG_20160415_103639.jpg IMG_20160415_064504.jpg IMG_20160415_103832.jpg

Attached Files:

4. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Its going on this car.I want the mono becuase i like the way it looks,and i dont think i need much spring on this car.Its so light i can pick up the front end off the ground with 1 hand.The engine isnt in yet,but its guna be way back by the cockpit,so i think most of the weight will be in that area.

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

If the caster wasn't way off I would be tempted to use the other flat spring mounts and keep the spring you have. You could build them to fit width easily. Just my opinion

6. rgdavid

rgdavid

Nice project,
    Is your chassis going to be reinforced?, looks well flexi,?

What about longer shackles, would that work ? Not sure ,

7. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

I wasnt sure what those other mounts were for.Do you know what that setup is called so i can do a search?or do you have pics of somthing with that setup?

8. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try Posies, #1009 I think is the spring you want, speedway carries them also.

9. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Thanks. I got it from another hamb member like this.I was planning on beefing it up a little bit yes..I was thinking the same thing.If the shackles were just an inch longer i could use the spring i have.I asked my bud about it and he said to just buy the correct spring.Do you think i would have any problems with longer shackles?

10. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Thanks! That looks like the one.I noticed speedway had one in that length too but i couldnt find a mono leaf.Looks like posies makes all there springs?sorry for the ignorance.I wonder if they will do one in the mono leaf?Any idea what there springs cost?

11. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Longer shackles will most likely cause interference issues with the spring and the axle.

Do you realise that tube axles like yours are torsionally very stiff so they don't twist like an I beam when the wheel on one side rises on a bump? You have the solid clevis front mounts on your hairpins which also have no compliance. Can't see the hairpin rear mount but if that's a heim or tie rod end you'll probably start breaking parts as the suspension articulates - I'm assuming a road car but the first pic suggests otherwise. Conventional wisdom says those axles should only be used with 4 bars. I've used one successfully for tens of thousands of miles with hairpins but had urethane bushes throughout. Mileage may vary.

Chris

12. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

lakey nash3.jpg lakeys nash2.jpg lakeys nash2.jpg
    Cool.Thanks for the response.I wouldn't want the spring to hit the axle after popping a wheelie.That would suck.
    This is the car my car is modeled after.It wont be an exact replica,but pretty close.I wont be hitting bumps in it.Its not for driving on the street.Im glad to hear you have had no issues with the hairpins on a tube axle.It will take me 100 years to put that many miles on this car.(going 1/4 mile at a time, a few weekends a year)

Last edited: May 1, 2016