Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Long wheel base AD Chevy panel (can it be cool?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONHOG, Mar 10, 2016.

1. NONHOG

NONHOG

Not sure it will pan out but have a lead on a LWB Panel. Not sure its a good base for Rodding.
    I wouldn't part it out but may flip it if I can't get excited about it. Looking for inspiration.
    Anyone here have one?

2. My little brother had one in the '70s, we dropped it and cleaned it up and it was one helluva bike hauler. With a little work it could fit into some kind of a box or other, but even if it didn't wouldn't mean it couldn't be cool.

3. cwikstrom

cwikstrom
    from Edmonds

oh heck yeah. Size Doesn't Matter.

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

that's what she said (but didn't mean)

volvobrynk likes this.

5. southerncad

southerncad

Send a picture of it over to the Photoshop thread and let those guys have at it.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a Santa Clara guy that had a long wheelbase AD Chevy pickup. He dropped it, had it painted this silver blue, installed a SBC, 4 spd., chrome Appliance wheels.
    On the tailgate it had a script legend: Adios...
    I ribbed him about the moniker, said it should read So Long...
    Days later, he came into the R-J drive in, parked, and said, "Hey Mike, I finally got what you said..." (like I said...days later...)

falcongeorge and Hnstray like this.
  7. osut362

osut362
    from East Texas
    1. Upholstery

Long wheelbase...just more to love!

8. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I had a friend who had 49/50 Chevy panel and the only thing I good come up with was to cut the roof off and turn it into a big touring car with a wraparound rear seat that would go from the front seat all the way around back to the other front seat. It would seat a ton of people !

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Gasser style 22juli (52).JPG

low budget and KoolKat-57 like this.
  10. NONHOG

NONHOG

11. NO WAY!

Torkwrench, Barn Find and LOST ANGEL like this.
  12. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

A friend had one in high school. When he got it, it was primered and on some aggressive offroad tires. It looked really tough. Might have even been lifted a little, but was still stock suspension. Eventually he put some street tires on it with cheap ugly chrome wheels and took some leaves out of it, did the 350/350 thing. Made it worthless for hauling anything and ugly to boot with a rattle can paint job.

Devin

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few SWB vans to give an example of what can be done. I personally love the LWB BIG panel trucks

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    volvobrynk and Hnstray like this.
  15. NONHOG

NONHOG

Well its not home yet. But its looks like that will happen soon. Pretty dang rough, not worth restoring IMO.
    Probably just flip it, maybe some RR type will want it. LOL IMG_20160426_175842.jpg
    Curious if the seats look like possible originals?

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. ...front seat, what's there, looks original, they had a 40/60 split front, the rear seat looks like out of somethin else, panels only had front seat.

17. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Tons of potential! It can be just at as cool as any old car, plus you have a lot of room inside to do all kinds of fun things.

If it's too rough to build, put shelves in it and you have a cool place to store parts.

The business next door to our office uses one for delivery and advertising. I'll get a photo if I can.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. NONHOG

NONHOG

Thanks, my 49 panel had buckets (still have one :))
    So this rig seems to be missing the 40 portion which would be the driver side?

Sadly my 49 became a billboard for a Tavern and just recently seems to have gotten smashed up as WSDOL just sent me a notice that my vehicle has been registered as "totaled" My vehicle?! Good thing I sent in notification of sale.
    Please post picture.

19. NONHOG

NONHOG

3 out of 4 wheels spin, (can't get to the 4th yet) however tires are pretty cracked, held air but would never trust them. Have to trailer it to the house. Tons of Rat (sorry for using that word) crap, Lysol dust masks and pressure washing coming up. LOL

20. el shad

el shad

I have owned 2 LWB trucks (not panels) and when done they both looked bad ass. To be honest I was unsure they could be made cool, but it worked out just fine.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. NONHOG

NONHOG

How bout another one? :)

22. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Here's one solution, if you really want to get into it :confused::
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Considering the amazing body and frame work I see on the H.A.M.B. every day, I wouldn't be surprised if this has been done already.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  23. NONHOG

NONHOG

chrisb, I like the way you think. I thought about keeping the extra length and going with the stretched lead sled look?
    just a thought. temp.jpg

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  24. NONHOG

NONHOG

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'd clean it for a month and then make it a driver, make it low with a pull out ramp for a bike to roll in.

The huge side panel screams for a cool shop logo. The perfect cross over for the chopper guys and the vannin guys. Load up your chopper and and still have room to sleep lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Yep it would be handy for me if I owned it I would never break down again. LOL

I am going to ruffle some feathers here but the first thing I would do after making it ride and drive is loose that damned ugly 54 Grill and shoot for an earlier model grill for it. I never did like the one year grill.

Chrisbcritter and Tim like this.
  27. NONHOG

NONHOG

Well me and a co-worker who found this are going in together. We both agree that it will be a clean, try to get running/moving and flip. Just too much project. Still exciting to get it even for a short time.

Personally I love the grill, I loved my GMC grill too. Granted it took awhile. :)

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't get the question; a LWB AD panel IS cool!

I don't get why you won a flip it, that could be so cool, you could haul you next hot rod build home, you have room for all your tools.
    And as The Ramones say: the fun is in the back seat! And there is plenty of room for fun.

29. NONHOG

NONHOG

Well time is not on my side.
    I am finishing a off topic(1980) V8 Volvo for my wife, then I get to help my boy with the 66 Amazon in my avatar. He is college age but soon to be on his own so I need to spend time with him possibly putting a 215 aluminum Oldsmobile in the estate before I can get going on my project (whatever that may be) Not interested in storing anything in hopes of getting to it. I should not be involved with this silly thing but digging it out of the blackberries is fun for me.
    Hoping it can get into the hands of somebody who will fix it and drive it. It will be fun while it lasts.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. NONHOG

NONHOG

Tonight we give another go of getting it ready for a trailer ride.

volvobrynk likes this.